So, a few days ago, I decided to get all gussied up (Truly. I wore a dress and curled my hair.) and selected Pillars Social Cafe in Rogers Park. I had visited before to have coffee with a friend after a yoga class (Hi, Erin!), and I thought it would be fun to head back.

(The yogurt parfait totally cancels out the cookie, btw.)
After my lunch, I realized how close I was to the lake and took a stroll over. I've honestly never been this far north along the lakefront, and boy, am I glad I decided to head over. It was insanely gorgeous. (For you Chicagoans, I was at Pratt Beach, over by Loyola...)

(A lonely little boat.)

(See that group of buildings in the distance? That's the Chicago Loop - which gives you an idea how far north I was...)

(A wise bench...)

As I was walking back to the "L" stop (our public transit system, I encountered a used bookstore called The Armadillo's Pillow, which was FILLED with books, floor to ceiling. I ended up with the following purchases:

Have you ever been on a coffee date with yourself???
That actually sounds really awesome. I enjoyed that Heartbreaking Work.... book a few years ago.
ReplyDeleteI really love Heartbreaking Work also! One of the few paperbacks I actually bought (I'm a library fanatic! Who could say no to free books that you can give back when you're done?)
ReplyDeleteI went to Loyola and lived in Rogers Park for four years, so I'm very familiar with that beach :) The few times I attempted to "go for a run" were along that beach. We also loved to take walks down the pier to the lighthouse. Even though Rogers Park is so far north, it's one of the few places in the city where you can affordably live so close to the lake. I miss it :)
ReplyDeleteThose pictures are beautiful! What a lovely day you had. I think I need a coffee star with myself one of these weekends. Great idea :)
ReplyDeleteAnna Karenina is my favorite book of all time!
ReplyDeleteLOVE the photos. I am always jealous that you live in Chicago. Ha!
ReplyDeleteHappy Monday!!
I know we've both said this before - but we could be twins. I love coffee dates by myself. A good book, my blog, catching up on a show - whatever. Just some nice quiet time alone to reflect & enjoy life!
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a great day!
I am finally making it back up to Chicago at the end of the month. I'm only 3 hours away but haven't been back up for 2 years! Your pictures make me excited!
ReplyDeleteI need to do more of this in my community - get out and explore! Your photos are incredible, too. I'm putting Armadillo Pillow on my list of places to check out when I'm in Chicago - if for the name alone!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your city with us!
One of my 101 in 1001 things is to spend the day in a coffee shop... originally I planned to just go to the closest one to me, but now I think maybe I should head to St. Paul and explore like you did!
ReplyDeleteDave Eggers!!! That book is so good. :)
ReplyDeleteI spent a whole year alone in coffee shops when I was on my fellowship (the year after college). I love it!
I haven't been on a coffee date with myself! That sounds wonderful!
ReplyDeleteI LOOOOOVE taking coffee dates by myself. It's seriously one of my favorite things. Coffee + shopping and you've got a happy girl!
ReplyDeleteI've just started reading Eggers' book! Let me know what you think of it :)
Speaking of coffee dates, I'm gonna be in Chicaaaaago soon! Aug 1-8, let me know if you can sneak a coffee date ;)
THis is one amazing way to explore any city. I'm happy you went tht far out and took those gorgeous photos.
ReplyDeleteI need to do a coffee date with myself too. It is fun, and it is certainly not distracting. ;)
xoxo
What a great way to spent an afternoon by yourself.
ReplyDeletei actually love to do my blogging from a coffee shop... by myself on a quiet afternoon. i work for a local coffee company, so my office is above the coffee shop... i LOVE the atmosphere.
ReplyDeleteCatching up on your posts from my phone :). Your beach pictures are so gorgeous! I definitely need to take a trip to Chicago and see this beauty!
ReplyDelete