Whew! Ladies, it's been one exhausting week, that's for sure. Thank you so much to everyone who has linked up this week! I have encountered so many new blogs, and I am LOVING everyone's perspectives on each topic.
I have to admit it - this topic was a tough one. There are SO many directions one can go with this, but I figured I'd focus on one aspect in particular.
I'm THANKful I live in the 21st century because...
...I am a WOMAN with many opportunities!
Think about it. If you had lived fifty years ago, what would your life be like? Would you be working? Married, with children? Women have been given so many incredible opportunities and past pressures have been removed. Today, women are embraced for their independence. For being single as long as they'd like. For choosing to NOT have children. For climbing the corporate ladder. For wearing whatever the hell they want.
I like to think that in my first 31 years on this earth, I've done things my way. I've built a career. I moved in with my boyfriend (now husband) before marriage. We bucked the "get married & buy a house in the suburbs" tradition and are enjoying life downtown. I've built a career that I love. I do things that make ME happy.
(Please don't get me wrong. I do want a house in the suburbs and kids someday. Just on my own time.)
(Please don't get me wrong. I do want a house in the suburbs and kids someday. Just on my own time.)
I'm not entirely sure that would have been possible, had I lived in 1955.
Why do YOU love living in the 21st century? Link up below!


Oh I love this post!! It's fantastic! I'm going to post later with a catch up from yesterday and today because I really loved yesterday's topic.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great POV on the topic! :)
ReplyDeleteI would have been such a rebel in the 1950s - but you're right, it might have been worth the fashion!
ReplyDeleteI feel like if I lived back then I'd at least have a more ideal body... mine isn't made for this era, lol.
ReplyDeleteBut I like my life now so I'm going with living in this time.
amen, sister! a lot of my girlfriends, and myself included, work in male-dominated industries -- we may still be out-numbered, but at least we're HERE. holllaaaa!
ReplyDeleteGreat take on the topic, Meghan! You're also so right. We have the right to do things OUR way and live without a set of guidelines.
ReplyDeleteI think it's awesome you and your hubby live downtown. Now that I've been to Chicago, I can see why you love it so much.
i completely agree! i am so thankful that there are more opportunities for women to make their own choices now and decide what is right for us!
ReplyDeleteYou know sometimes I forget about how hard the women before us had to work to let us enjoy the opportunities we have today that they didn't! That's some serious girl power :) Such an interesting post! :)
ReplyDeleteLove this post. Seriously, may be my fav since I am stuch an "A" female. I have had so many opportunities not afforded to women in the past, and I cherish them all!
ReplyDeleteThe fashion from the 1950s is AMAZING... but I think I would have liked the stay at home with the family atmosphere :)
ReplyDeleteI think alot of woman are starting to want the stay at home and raise the children lifestyle now, but I am grateful that we are in an era where we can actually make those decisions ourselves.
ReplyDeleteTrue that! I love the 1950s but not sure if I actually loved living then..haha!!!
ReplyDelete