Plenty to Be THANKful For Challenge, Day 3: Your Hometown!

Woot! Thanks to everyone who has linked up so far! I am absolutely loving this challenge - thanks for playing along!
While I've lived within the Chicago city limits for six years, I spent the first twenty-four years of my life (with a four-year hiatus for college) in "The TP", as it's affectionately known, is one of Chicago's southwest suburbs. And, while we have a super shady roller rink that moonlights as a meth lab (just my opinion), my hometown was recently ranked as "The Best Place to Raise Your Kids" by Business Week. BOOYAH!
While I could go on and on about the fantastic school system, or the affordable housing, or the adorable downtown area, I thought I'd share the far more interesting landmarks.
Like Teehan's.
via
Teehan's is a legendary dive bar in the heart of my hometown. It's tiny, was once smoke-filled, and they've served dollar drafts for as long as anyone can remember. There is one super tiny, often dirty bathroom, and NO FOOD. Yet somehow, each time my girlfriends and I used to visit Teehan's (like every Friday night), it was magical. I can picture it now. The jukebox is playing my favorite song (on the jukebox, not like, my favorite song ever in life), Pearl Jam's "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town", while my friends and I chat up some of Tinley's finest men, with nicknames like "The Cheese" and "Gay Jim" (who isn't really gay and isn't offended by the nickname).
By the way, special thanks to my friend Lisa for always taking me to the local Arby's at 4:00 a.m. after a night at Teehan's...
If that isn't enough to get your pulses racing, how about the World Music Theater Tweeter Center First Midwest Bank Amphitheater? via
I have to admit, it was pretty fantastic to have a major music venue in our hometown. "The World", to use its original name, was actually home to the first Lollapalooza. The best and worst part about this venue? THE LAWN. Great to sit and relax, awful if the people next to you are super wasted and spilling beer. From Dave Matthews to Maroon 5 to even Bon Jovi, I've seen it all...
Don't get me wrong. My hometown was and still is pretty awesome. I know how fortunate I was to grow up in a strong community.
But really. Who wants to hear about property taxes?
Where are you from??? Link up below and play along!
Dive bars, Pearl Jam on the jukebox, live music, Arby's runs at 4am...talk to me about property taxes!! LOL
ReplyDeleteHmm...I wonder if Illinois & Virginia have a reciprocity agreement regarding teaching licenses?? ;)
LOVED reading this! I think we all have that one "special" bar full of so many memories. I love that song by Pearl Jam.
ReplyDeleteWe have an outdoor venue like that in NJ (not far from here) and it used to be called The Tweeter Center. I can't even think of the name of it now...haha. I just know many fun shows were attended there out on the lawn.
Makes me think of everyone's favorite dive bar here in my town =-)
ReplyDeletei love a good old shady roller rink!!
ReplyDeleteHOLLA! LOVE THIS POST...my favorite TPCT post EVER! Elderly Woman was number 1010 on that jukebox! It was my fave too. I remember belting it out at the top of my lungs. Meg K, Julie, and I were out for dinner last weekend and quoted young Meghan O atop a maroon vinyl barstool, "I am the eyes and ears of Teehans!" And your welcome for the Arby's run thrus! See u next weekend!
ReplyDeletehaha sounds like a FUN place!
ReplyDeleteAll my friends are moving or have moved to TP. They are right, it is an amazing place to raise a family!
ReplyDeleteLove concerts on the lawn...haven't been there since Kenny Chesney in College!
Ugh I need to get to Chicago soon! My recent layover made me want to visit even more!
ReplyDeleteIt will always be "The World" to me too.
ReplyDeleteWe had a super shady roller rink too. Creepy old guys who skate scare me. :)
ReplyDeleteIt will always be known as "The World..." just like the BMO Harris Bank Center here in Rockford will always be known as the Metrocentre regardless of who stamps their name on it, lol...
ReplyDeleteI remember going to the World Music Theater for the 1st time for Q101's Jamboree 1997 when I was in 7th grade... Saw Verve Pipe, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Veruca Salt... Bush was the headliner but it got too cold and we were stuck with lawnseats (yay for drunken, muddy people falling over you down the hill, lol...)
Love this!!!! I love Chicago and all of the surrounding areas. I use to love coming up to Brookfield and visiting my uncles.
ReplyDelete