10.30.2012

Thriller in Schiller 5K Review

(Hi friends.  Our "Go for the Goal" linkup is THURSDAY!  You should totally brag about yourself.  Just sayin'...)

On Sunday, my friend Julie and I trekked out to Schiller Park (just northwest of the city) to run the "Thriller in Schiller" 5K.  To be perfectly honest, I was a little nervous, as it was advertised as a "muddy trail run".  However, it was a blast!

I've never actually written a "race review", so I thought I'd start with the positives:


* It's a GORGEOUS course.  Granted, I never really knew where I was running, because there were leaves everywhere and downed branches to jump over, but the scenery was really pretty.  And the fact that I didn't know where I was going had nothing to do with the race directors - the course was marked.  I'm just a moron.



IMG_1789

* The FOOD.  I mean, seriously.  Half Acre craft beer (in pint glasses to keep!) and Chubby Weiner's hot dogs at the finish?  (Insert joke here.  No, seriously.  I wouldn't "google" it if I were you.)  It was awesome.



IMG_1791
(You folks may not recognize this, but it's a Chicago-style hot dog.  And it was delicious at 10:00 a.m.)


* The costumes! Granted, I didn't dress up because I am super lame, but I really enjoyed the fact that so many people had fun with it.



IMG_1792

Things to Consider/Improve?


* One port-a-potty.  While it appeared that there was only 200 or so people, everyone has to pee.  Especially when it's cold.


* The start.  There was no clock, no shot gun, etc - just a dude, telling us to "GO"!  I suppose it fit the laid-back attitude of the race overall, but it was a little confusing.   Regardless, it alleviated any pressure, and I just had fun with it!


* The course.  Again, I thought it was gorgeous.  But the trail was so narrow that at some points, there was a line to "hop over" the branches, and everyone literally came to a stop.


Overall, this was a really fun experience, and a great "break" from the pressures that come with races.  I would absolutely run this race again, and am considering the "Chiller in Schiller" in December!  There is a 10K option, and I bet the course is gorgeous in the snow! 

(The race directors provided myself and a friend with free race entries.  All opinions expressed are my own!)


Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. Yes! Do the Chiller 10K! I am! :)

    Boo to one porta pottie. I wonder if there are rules about getting more than one out there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why must you seduce me with your Chicago style hot dog? There is absolutely NOTHING better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun! I really need to run a trail race sometime soon, we run on trails often just haven't done a race yet.

    One port-a-potty, though, would be troubling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your commitment to running is such an inspiration, I can't bloody run to my mailbox....

    ReplyDelete
  5. .... But maybe if that hotdog was at my mailbox...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would run more if it involved Chicago hotdogs. LOL. Looks fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm craft beer and a Chicago dog! Looked like a fun albeit challenging race. :) I really want to run a trail race next year now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're glad you had a good time!

    Thanks for the suggested improvements! We really take all of the comments from our trail runners to heart and want to make sure we are constantly improving.

    The Chiller 5k and 10k will be have much wider trails since it will most likely be icy and/or snowy during the race. So that should alleviate some of the bottlenecks that occurred at the Thriller.

    We will also have more porto-potties available. The Forest Preserve was supposed to provide us with three porto-potties for the event, but they unfortunately did not. As a race director who also runs in many events, I was extremely upset about this as I know that enough portos are key. This will NEVER happen again, even if we have to pay to rent our own.

    We will also have signage at the start/finish and a new timing system so that runners will be able to clearly see their time at the finish and be able to see their results shortly after the finish.

    Thanks for coming out to the race and for bearing with us as we experience our growing pains!

    We really hope we see you at the Chiller!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like an interesting run! I need to come to Chicago and eat a hot dog. And a pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a fun run... I wish I would have run it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahah! What a funny image- runners all waiting in line to hop over a branch! Seriously though the course DOES look gorgeous with all of those fall glory leaves :) And that hotdog?! AMAZE. I DIE.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...