10.15.2012

An Island Wedding.

Hi friends!  As promised, I wanted to share more of our Flo-RIDA (Is that reference getting annoying?) trip.  We were in Key Largo last weekend for Mike's cousin's wedding, which was just gorgeous.  While I don't think Florida is necessarily for me (hot and HUMID!), we really had a relaxing weekend.

We flew in late Friday night to Ft. Lauderdale before heading into the Keys on Saturday morning.  I have to admit that Key Largo wasn't exactly what I had pictured - there were no beaches, and there was no "downtown" area.  Everything was located on one highway.  However, the resort we stayed at was beautiful, and the view from our room?  Perfection.

(Side note:  My biggest fear on the drive in?  Crocodiles.  Seriously.  This stems from a childhood memory when my father thought it would be cool to GET OUT OF THE CAR when we were visiting Sanibel Island and TAKE PICTURES OF CROCODILES ten feet away.)


Untitled


We checked in, and had a "seaside" lunch at the resort before spending some time at the pool with the wedding guests.

Untitled

Saturday night, we drove about ten miles down the Keys to eat at Taster's Grille, a restaurant I had read about online.  It was advertised as a "wine and craft beer bar" with amazing contemporary food.  I was a little surprised that the restaurant was in a strip mall with a grocery store and tanning salon, but...

Untitled

(What?  You don't have photo shoots in parking lots???)

Needless to say, it was AMAZING.  Not only did we sit out on a patio where we were allowed to FEED OUR LEFTOVERS TO AMAZINGLY HUGE FISH, but the food was fantastic.

(Side note:  The 8 year old at the next table was much better behaved than I was when it came to the fish.  It was SO MUCH FUN.)

We spent the rest of Saturday night having cocktails at an old Key Largo establishment, the Caribbean Club, where we caught this incredible storm rolling in:

Untitled

We woke up Sunday morning to THIS view and a coffee platter from room service.  

IMG_1650


After spending most of the day by the pool with a good book, it was time to get ready for the wedding. Oh yes, folks, there was some side ponytail action in the Keys.
IMG_1659
(But ugh.  That nose.  I'll take "nose jobs" for $500, Alex.)

And seriously.  Can you imagine a more beautiful place for a wedding?

IMG_1660

It was a perfect evening - minus the five jet skis that decided to speed on by several times during the ceremony.  And HOW GORGEOUS is Michelle, the bride?  

Untitled

While I am sad that we didn't have the time to visit Key West, I am glad we were able to fit in a little R&R over the holiday weekend and be a part of Matt and Michelle's special day!

Have you ever been to a destination wedding?


Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous wedding. That photo of the storm rolling in is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to a destination wedding, but I think this an amazing idea (a destination without leaving the country, how cool). That setting looks gorgeous! So glad you had a refreshing weekend, I love the dress you're wearing in the parking lot picture... and I want to feed those fish too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, gorgeous! Yup, Florida is humid as all get out - it slaps you in the face.
    Never been to a destination wedding - but glad you had the opportunity. Sounds like a great get away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, gorgeous pics! I love your dress!

    Though I personally wouldn't do one (parentals afraid to fly), I've been to several destination weddings. I think my favorite one was India- it was soo different and I loved seeing all the cultural aspects that went into it! Plus, the couple planned a group trip to the Taj Mahal for all their out-of-town guests!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sky pictures are gorgeous! what a beautiful bride and place to have a wedding. Love both of your dresses! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loooove that dress you're wearing in the parking lot--so cute! And what a fun weekend. I love laid back beach weddings--they're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I told Izzy if we ever get married that it would be kind of cool to do a destination wedding in Puerto Rico, where he's from. However, I would worry that not everyone could afford to come =-(

    Nonetheless, it looks like you went to an AMAZING wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ummmm what photo app do you use? These images are amazing! And you look so gorgeous, just as a FYI. I'm glad that you had a great time in the Keys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty. I really like your dresses, but I especially like the first one. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful! Your photos look like something out of a magazine!

    I like your nose :)

    Looking forward to seeing you this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great pictures. I have said it before and I will say it again, I really need to travel with you, it seems like you have the most amazing trips:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good thing we don't have crocodiles in Florida......just alligators ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful location for a wedding! We haven't been too very many weddings and all of them have been local. I wish I could go to a wedding in a place like this though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. GORGEOUS! Your dresses are great. Glad you had a fun getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a beautiful place to visit! I've never been there, but would like to visit Key West!


    =)


    Broke

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a perfect backdrop to a wedding! : ]

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had a destination wedding myself in Punta Cana, DR in 2006. I wouldn't have had it any other way...

    I went to another destination wedding in Mexico in 2005 and I have one to go to again in Punta Cana in December.

    Destination weddings are so much fun because it's a week long party rather than just one night. This one that you went to looked like a beautiful one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...