It certainly has been a busy few days, filled with the usual business at work, important home projects with the hubs, traveling with students, a baptism for the sweetest little boy in the world, and dinners. Lots of dinners. If you haven't already figured it out, I love food. I mean, don't we all? I mentioned in a previous post that while some people spend their money on tickets to sporting events, or concerts (Ahem, I'm talking about YOU, Kevin!), or drinks at bars, or furniture, or their babies, my husband and I typically splurge on two things: food and travel. Sometimes, these two go hand in hand. Don't get me wrong - we do NOT go out to eat every night, or every week for that matter, and we do NOT spend hundreds of dollars on one meal (with the exception of Mikey's 30th birthday dinner here). But we love our food. And it just so happens that it is my favorite week ever here in Chicago.
It's Restaurant Week.
What, pray tell, is RW? Well, multiple restaurants in Chicago offer a pre-fixe menu for $32 which includes an appetizer, entree and dessert. The secret to RW is to make reservations at places where an average entree BY ITSELF is $32 so you can take advantage of the discount:) This week, we have three reservations, and I simply.cannot.wait. I truly believe that cooking (while I do not partake myself) is an art form, and I appreciate the flavors and presentation like no other.
So, as I salivate over what's to come this week, here are a few photos from last year's RW - my dinner at Blackbird.

butternut squash ravioli with kale

salad of endives with crispy potatoes, basil, dijon, pancetta and poached egg
It was heavenly. I cannot wait to see what this week has in store. Perhaps it's no coincidence that my half-marathon training begins this week, too? :)
Do you like to go out to eat? What's your favorite place?
That looks awesome. When I lived outside Baltimore I definitely took part in restaurant week. I love going out to eat and reading menus as fancy restaurants online.
ReplyDeleteLove and miss restaurant week. Always went to different, fancy places. :) Hmmm...just thinking about it makes me hungry!
ReplyDeleteThis is one of the reasons I wish we lived in a big city. Have fun eating this week!
ReplyDeleteThat looks soo good! I went to the Chicago Cut last week, Osteria via Stato Saturday, and Japonais this week. Taking advantage of date night, and ladies night! The Osteria via Stato menu was amazing, and well worth it. Can't wait to go back! I love to eat, which is why I run...:)
ReplyDeleteI looooove Restaurant week in Dallas!
ReplyDeleteAmen to that and I completely understand! Good for you for taking a little break.
ReplyDeleteTravel tops my list these days of the thing I most like to spend money on. Food kind of does go hand in hand with that. I love trying new places and seeing new sights.
Restaurant Week is the best! You can try so many delicious restaurants on the cheap. Who doesn’t love a deal? Not this girl. I hope you have some delicious meals and have fun to boot :)
That butternut squash ravioli looks so good!
I LOVE RESTAURANT WEEK! Definitely one of the best weeks here in Boston, too!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love going out to eat. It's one of my favorite things to do in the whole world. One of the reasons I even like to go on trips is to be able to eat at new places. It's the best! This restaurant week sounds like a wonderful event. I wish they would do something like that down here.
ReplyDeleteI am a huge fan of Restaurant Week. It's a great way to try new places. Also especially fun in a different city from my own so I love it when it coincides with business travel.
ReplyDeleteHOW awesome! I LOVED Chicago food! enjoy!
ReplyDeleteMmmm, you're making my mouth water!!!
ReplyDeleteMmmm I LOVE to go out to eat!!
ReplyDeleteOh dear. Those meals look delicious! I love to eat everything except for celery...I'm not picky.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I purchased the J-Biebs CD today. I might rock out to it in my classroom right before dismissal. i think the girls will think I'm a goddess and the boys will hate me for it. HA!
I need to look into RW and see if we have something similar! I love, love, love to go out to eat!
ReplyDeleteahh! it's been so long since i've dropped by. tell me about "unplugging" i've been unplugged for the past 5 months. great to see what you've been up to.
ReplyDeletegood luck with marathon training!
I love to eat and hubby and I like to find new spots together :)
ReplyDeleteHey friend!
ReplyDeleteI'm trying to come up with a clothing challenge to do and I posted for some help on my blog. I'd LOVE your input since your my most faithful clothing picture posting friend on blogger. : ]
Love,
B
i'm so jealous, that ravioli and kale looks sooooo good
ReplyDeleteI like to go out to eat WAY too much! I think my favorite place is a little joint on the beach that serves the best grouper sandwiches around! Your food looks uber yummy!
ReplyDeleteGoing out to eat is one of life's greatest pleasures! Maybe I'm biased cause I grew up in a restaurant (my dad owned one) but it's definitely worth the expense! I like cooking, too, but there's nothing like going somewhere new (or familiar!) and having everything handed to you without having to do the work, ha! These pictures look delightful and I can't wait to see what this week brings for you. :)
ReplyDeleteOh my hell, I had no idea that such a thing even existed. I feel like I need to move to Chicago so I can take advantage of this beautiful idea. Take lots of pictures so I can eat vicariously through you!
ReplyDeleteNice! It was just DineLA a few weeks back but I skipped it to save $ :( I'm bummed still lol!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had some good food!
ohhh all of that food looks divine and glad you were able to take a few days off from the internet world. it's good to do! :)
ReplyDeleteohh yummy! we just finished winterlicious here in toronto. same idea as restaurant week although we have lunch and dinner options. i had the yummiest thai three course lunch for $15! woot! you and the hubs should come and check out summerlicious - same deal...but with SUN!
ReplyDeleteWe luuuuurve eating out. We pretty much love to eat at any place with pizza and wine and local brews. Yum!
ReplyDelete