4.01.2010

Top 5 Thursday - I Just Don't Get It!

Last night, I was surfing through one of my favorite news sites, Slate Magazine, and I was bombarded with a photo and article about Justin Bieber. I, like many people, would like to know who he is and what he wants with America. I have heard his name dozens of times in the last week and have yet to hear one song (perhaps this is my fault). But he's a pop culture prince. And apparently even though he's 8, he writes songs about sex. Isn't his mother furious???

So, this week's top 5 list is dedicated to:

The Top 5 Things / People That Others Love - But You Just DON'T Get

(Please note that these are merely my opinions and they are in no way, shape or form meant to offend anyone. It's just that their appeal to the public isn't quite so obvious to me. Perhaps I am a little slow...)


5.) Pink Floyd

pink_floyd_-_dark_side_of_the_moon

Ok, this is an old one, and I know I'll probably catch a little you-know-what for this, but I have NEVER understood this band. I know they're all revolutionary and what not in music - but rock operas that discuss kids not eating their meat and kids without faces? I am confused. And a little frightened.


4.) "Lost"

g804331_Lost-season2 mynd3

A bunch of people stranded on an island? And some secret native tribe? And then after several years, going BACK to that same remote island? That doesn't sound very smart to me. What am I missing here, people?


3.) Ke$ha


kesha-pop-rock-music-idea-girl-consulting-linda-randall

Ok, I'll admit, the whole idea of "waking up in the morning feeling like P Diddy" IS very tempting and empowering. Most mornings, I just feel like myself, but the thought of feeling like a wealthy rap artists is definitely inspiring. HOWEVER, her voice? The rest of her lyrics about getting crunked and boys touching her junk? Have we not moved beyond this yet???

Oh, and you don't have to remind me that pedicures go on my toes toes.

I'd like to thank my friend "J" who referred to her as a "drunken donkey". Sounds about right.


2.) Fashion Trends

popped-collar-52608-3

Including, but not limited to: popped collars, men who work-out in jeans, men who wear skinny jeans, men who work-out in skinny jeans, and celebrities who do not wear pants (Ahem, Madonna and Lady Gaga).


1.) Men Who Cheat On Their Wives


sandra_bullock

From Jesse to Tiger, this one just makes me sad. From what we know as the general public, these wives are beautiful, classy women - why anyone would ruin these relationships is beyond me. Keep it together - and while you're at it, keep it in your pants.

Honorable Mention: Heidi Montag, "Avatar" and other 3-D movies, sandals with 6-inch heels, and rap artists who preface their names with "Lil".

Perhaps the moral of the story is that I just need to give these people/trends a chance. Except for Heidi.

Is there anyone or anything that you just don't understand these days?

Photobucket

31 comments:

  1. Im with you on all 5 of those, and add Justin to the list. I have no idea why all these people are falling at his feet.
    tonight i googled why has justin biebers voice not broken yet. plenty of funny stuff came up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol - even though he's 8 - brilliant...

    I don't get them lost at all - my housemates at uni were obsessed :/

    though I do love Pink Floyd...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaa, I don't get most of them, but the world is full of them and yeah, I was a little sad about the Sandra Bullock thing too.

    have a happy easter weekend Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you have no idea what an obsession Lost is.

    But it isn't just people on an island with some weird natives or anything like that. The weird stuff that goes down on this Island...The Smoke Monster, A man who never ages but is WAY hot, paralyzed people being able to walk suddenly, Jacob, Kate's UTTER USELESSNESS, Ben's wonderful creepy bug eyed hotness, How Jack went from being awesome to so very, very stupid and crying all the time, Hurley's 100% span of the series awesomeness, What the hell is that Island anyway!?, and everything else....

    Trust me, I've been watching it from the beginning. It is one of the single greatest shows on TV...and you should never watch it. Because it just sucks you in, makes you so angry, and I have a serious feeling it's going to let us all down in the end. But...I still love it. As I love Penny, and Charlie, and Des, and Ben, and Locke, and Flocke, and OMFG I HATE KATE SO MUCH! AGH! DIE!

    Seriously...it's totally worth it and not worth it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and my soon-to-be husband would get along great--he thinks popped polos and Ke$ha are utterly ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't use to get LOST. Then I met my husband to be and started watching, oh I am addicted now! It's sooooo good!

    I have no idea who Justin Bieber is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noooooo! How could you put Lost on there? I am SO saddened! Dustin and I started watching it on Netflix to see what all the fuss was about. Aside from the fact that the final season is driving me CRAZY it's a pretty good show.

    But I totally agree with you on the other 4, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post could have gone on and on forever...I agreed with all of them, even Lost, which is a sin in our culture, I do believe.

    And men who work out in jeans...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, great post. I agree with it all. I really enjoy your sense of humour :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am an UBER lost fan, and seriously I don't get it either. Every week I get so pissed off, and I just HAVE to watch next weeks so I fan finally know WHAT THE CRAP IS GOING ON?!?

    Things I don't get:
    1.People who drive in the rain without their headlights on.
    2.Nirvana (Pearl Jam was way better).
    3.Facebook statuses about how much people love their boyfriends/children/husbands.
    4.Taking your self-portrait in the bathroom mirror w/the camera in the shot.
    5."Dancing with the Stars"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you on all of the above except for Pink Floyd. I do like me some Pink Floyd. But seriously, thank you SO MUCH for saying Lost! I sometimes feel very alone on that one.

    My 5 would be:

    1. Seinfeld.
    2. Avacados.
    3. Duck faces.
    4. College basketball.
    5. John Mayer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here's the thing: I felt the SAME way about Justin Bieber. Like who is he, why do I care, etc. And then I listened to one of his songs online and realized that I had been singing along to it for a while. Like knew words and all. Embarrassing! I have since erased it from my memory.

    But Lost...Lost is good! Hot shirtless men, that's how I look at it.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree on all of them, except for this Bieber dude - never heard of him, so i can't comment on that one.

    I watch Lost, but it's because I feel like I have to see how it ends - and sometimes admittedly sit through some sub-par episodes, hoping they'll reveal something in it. But in Lost's defense, there are some really good eps too, so that balances out the slow, lame ones.

    I don't get the hype around:

    1. Johnny Depp
    2. Jersey Shores
    3. Saturday Night Live (i don't think they've had a funny cast in decades!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How funny a post and I totally agree on all of them. I have to admit the first year and a half I was a Lost fan but even I got lost trying to figure out why they were lost..lol
    And cheating husbands don't even get this girl started since my ran off with his high school sweetheart who is the bimbo from the land of the Lost...hahaha
    Sorry I got carried away for a minute...Like I said don't get Ms Pearl going on that.
    Love ya
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow. i'm totally with you on all of these. i like a few Pink Floyd songs though...

    but yes. NO cheating! NO popped collars! and Lost? what?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with all of these. There are many trends I never get. Although I usually end up falling in love with them. Infact when skinny jeans first came out, I was like, I am never wearing them, and (although I don't wear jeans often) skinny jeans are now the only ones I will wear.

    ReplyDelete
  17. do NOT even think about dissing lil wayne. i will have to roundhouse kick you! he is my FAVORITE!!!

    as for cheating men, heidi montag, lame ass man trends and lost...totally agree.

    6 inch heels, i haven't attempted yet but i can't say i won't try ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I may get shunned for this, but I don't get the Jersey Shore thing. I don't get the hype over some over-tanned, over-made-up, overrated obnoxious people. I am over people being famous for no reason and especially being famous for being an idiot. If they were contributing members to society I may feel differently. I will get off my soap box now :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. lol these are hilarious. ok with the exception of lost, im totally with you.
    but i love sandals with tall heels - if theyre wedges:)
    heidi is a freak.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is hilarious! And I totally agree with you on ALL of them! Totally don't get that shiz.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never got the show LOST. I also don't get smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am with you 115 percent. On ALL of it.

    Except for "Up" in 3D. They're allowed. Mostly because it turned me into a puddle of sobbing goo.

    SQUIRREL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great idea! I totally agree with all of those.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I adore this list. Slash I agree with every bit of it. I want to take a bat to Jesse's head. Or another part of him.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so Lost about Lost these days, used to watch it but now I am too behind! I too am saddened about Jesse and Tiger, boo! Hmm, I don't get the Lady GaGa fascination, she scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is funny, gal! I agree with you on the fashion trends that you threw in. Skinny jeans and guys... for me it is a definite mishap!

    I don't get tore-down tights nor overly or should I say extra-overly sized glasses... The XXL sunnies were okay - and I even admit having caved in and purchased a pair (to my hubby's great despair), but XXL daily eye wear. Beats me.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love that you put Kesha. haha thats awesome. she is bizarre.

    Have a wonderful easter honey. xio

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm with you on everything but....PINK FLOYD...WHAT?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mwahaha! Evil laugh! I am right there with you meagan!
    Truer words have never been spoken! Definately not Heidi. it's lame.

    Do guys really wear that many collars? I like the effect for the photo though!

    Brandon and I thought that Keisha was a hispanic girl singing for a long time...till we saw her video and it ruined it for us. she was white trash...lame. is it weird that we had that premediated thought...now we think she's not so cool. i've heard her speak on the radio and sounded nothing like her...she was sweet and soft and sounded white. the things they can do with your voice on a switch board is amazing i say!

    ReplyDelete
  30. i agree with all of these! i would have to say socks with sandals are still at the top of my list, along with guys wearing make-up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...