
(The actual birth. Seriously, I wish it were that simple...)
...and more excited about the idea of naming an adorable, smushy-faced baby:

Baby names are a tricky thing. I know some people who are so open and honest about their ideas. Others are heavily guarded and don't want to run the risk of negative reactions from family and friends. Just the other day, I was at work and I overheard two teachers discussing a particular name, and one of the teachers scoffed at it - and IT JUST SO HAPPENED TO BE MY TOP CHOICE FOR A GIRLS NAME! Granted, I am nowhere near pregnant and don't plan to be soon, but I was surprised at how sad it made me! And if that's not enough, there's the added pressure of your child's future and how other children (from the future!) will respond to the name and what if they are teased and what if that name determines who my child becomes and what if Angelina Jolie adopts another foreign baby and uses the same name? AND, what if I wait to get preggers and my friend steals my baby name??? My, the possibilities are ENDLESS!
And this, ladies and gents, sparked yet another top 5 list. I also asked a few friends to help me out, and some of them asked that I protect their identities, as they were afraid that they might be mocked for their responses. But don't worry, I told them that the blogosphere is super supportive and non-judgmental:)
The Top 5 Baby Names That You Either:
A.) Cannot use, because someone else already stole it, or
B.) Catch grief for
5.) Cedric
One friend said that she loved the name Cedric for a boy - NOT after Cedric the Entertainer, but Cedric Diggory from the Harry Potter series. I wonder if she likes the name because R Patz played Cedric. Regardless, she catches shit for it. I bet the people who tease her for it don't know that Cedric was a prefect for Hufflepuff AND seeker for their quidditch team. Her child is destined for greatness - because in this world, there is no Lord Voldemort. Point for Cedric.
4.) Brooklyn/Bronx
I have to admit: I actually quite like the name Brooklyn - but for a girl. Regardless, the Beckhams and the Simpson-Wentz's have tarnished the idea of naming children after NYC boroughs. I am still waiting for a Queens or a Manhattan...
3.) The "umbrella" of Bella/Ella/Stella
I couldn't believe I received so many responses with names ending in "ella".
One friend of mine wants to name her daughter Bella - but after Bella Swan from Twilight. I love this girl, but I think people tease her because when she is asked what her daughter's name will be, she doesn't just say "Bella" but rather "Bella. As in Bella Swan. From Twilight." This is why I love her.
Another friend would like to name her daughter "Ella". However, she is constantly asked whether her she will birth a large African-American woman.
And one friend claimed that she can no longer use "Stella" because Tori Spelling already used it.
(Side note: "Stella" is also on my short list!)
2.) Liam
I love the name Liam for a little boy. I am usually asked if he has a brother named "Noel" - from Oasis. The person asking the question is usually MY OWN HUSBAND. Or others our age who listed to Oasis in high school. Point one for hubby, because this question has now deterred me from the name.
1.) Madeline
I have loved the name Madeline FOREVER. I've also said on more than one occasion that we will call her "Maddie" for short. But then a good friend at work named her daughter Madalyn. Then my brother NAMED HIS DOG "MADDY". I cannot have my child grow up thinking that she is named after Uncle Kevin's dog.
What are some of your favorite names? Have they already been used? Do you ever catch grief for them???

I like to use Pillsbury funfetti cake mix to make my cupcakes. Any cake mix is fine though. Instead of using oil, I use 1/3 of cup of butter which is 51/2 tablespoons. Butter needs to be melted in microwave for 1 minute. I also add 1-1/2 cups of mini-chocolate chips. Make sure to put in the chips last otherwise they will melt if put in with the hot butter. I follow the rest of the directions on the box. I like to make the cupcakes at night and then frost in the morning. I mix with a hand held mixer. I find that the batter is smoother this way.
For frosting:
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup butter melted
3-4 tbsp milk
3-5 drops of food coloring if desired
Put all the ingredients in a bowl. Mix together until smooth. If you would like it thicker put in less milk, thinner put in more. I mix with a hand held mixer. I find that the frosting is smoother this way.


Thanks, Meg, for sharing your recipe! They look delish!
(images via weheartit and my friend Meghan)
Even though I am far too young to be thinking about babies, I do have a couple of names I like. Lucas for a boy and Alexia or Isabelle for a girl.
ReplyDeleteI always HATED my folks for naming their dog Lucy because I LOVE Lucy for a little girl's name. And I love the show I Love Lucy, hehe.
ReplyDeleteBut, like I already mentioned on my blog, D and I are already set on Esme Sophia and Cullen Wade. And as much as I fear we'll get made fun of for the Twilight references, I don't care. I LOVE those names (Wade, btw, is D's dad's name and D's middle name so we HAVE to use it).
I say unless someone really close to you has already used the name, then go for it.
P.S. I had a friend who wanted to name her daughter Hermione. And I'm sorry, I love HP and everything but Hermione... ugh. No.
Is that Barbie real?! That's hilarious! I love a lot of those names too, especially Brooklyn (for a girl) and Madeline. I hate when you love a name for so long, and then someone swoops in and uses it. You've just gotta rush to have a baby first so you can have the name, haha!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAs a teacher, I always was really careful to avoid baby names with negative connotations for me. Like Anthony. Have had several really shitty Anthonys over the years - I would never do that to a baby for fear of him turning into a total terror. Also the names that *everyone* else in class will have - one year I had 5 Caitlyns (Caitlyn, KateLynn, Catelin, Katlyn, and Caytlin) all in one class. Gag.
ReplyDeleteI'm a classicist (with an Anastasia and a Penelope), so my favorite pastime is always making fun of people with "made-up" baby names. Followed closely by place names, then last names used as first names. What can I say? I'm a huge name snob (but whatever you pick, Meghan, I promise not to mock it to your face). :)
I LOVE the name Stella! Although my sister had a dog named Stella for a while, so yeah, that might be awkward. I also really like Lola, but no one takes that seriously. Or Lila, but then I think about Sweet Valley High. lol :)
ReplyDeletePreggo Barbie!? That is amazing. You're right...I wish it was that easy.
ReplyDeleteI like those baby names! All of them. :) People always side-eye us a little bit when we tell them what we would want to name our girl (Betty, after my grandmother). And we were toying with Calvin for a boy for awhile and it almost gave my mother a heart attack.
Ella and Liam - Ella Rose and Liam Joseph - are both on the hubs list for names! I love both! I never thought large African-American woman when I heard Ella until now, though! LOL!
ReplyDeleteyou always make me laugh! that photograph of barbie and ken! haha!
ReplyDeletewhen you get the chance you'll love being a mom. it's great!
Oh my goodness that Barbie is slightly freaky. I love talking about baby names, I always liked Toby and guess what? My cousin had a baby last week and called it Toby!! Oh well! I also like Rhode for a boy but could never do that to a child.
ReplyDeleteHaha I love the "Maddy" story. Whatever u name your children they will be wonderul.
please don't name your baby bronx. i might have to unfollow you. jk. but serial.
ReplyDeleteliam and madeline are the names of two of my very good friends at school!!! madeline was my roommate for two years... we shortened her name to "ma-wyn"
I always loved Madeline too, but it's becoming too common. As a Kattrina, no one ever had my name (although with Hurricane Katrina I never hear the end of it), and I kinda liked that growing up. My favorite name for a girl was always Savannah Lynn (Savannah from this movie Savannah Smiles I saw when I was a tiny child). Then I opened up Dear John (the Nicolas Sparks book) and the first line was something like " Her name was Savannah Lynn" and I was like NOOOOO - that's MY name!! Now that I married a Honduran though, we have to rethink all our names - Savannah pronounced in Spanish sounds like the Spanish word sabana, which means sheet (like bedsheet) and he's not so thrilled about naming his daughter bedsheet. Blah.
ReplyDeletePS. Growing up we had a dog named Missy and then (while we still had the dog) my sis was born and my parents named her Melissa. We didn't' think anything of it and she wasn't traumatized at all.
I really Madeline. My favorites are Jackson and Madison, but we probably won't be using either. Coming up with THE name is really, really hard!
ReplyDeleteI always loved your name, ever since I heard it in a movie growing up. I felt great when one of the girls where I was an au pair was named Meghan, but I won't be able to use it, because its too American for Denmark. Though I would love to name my children with names that can be used both in Danish and English, just hearing my brothers English friends trying to say Torben makes me laugh... I'm so lucky he came first and decided to name me Connie;)
ReplyDeletethis is such a sweet post i love the pic of the baby in a hat
ReplyDeleteI've always liked the idea of having kids who have the same first letter of their name. I like logan, leo, lianna and libby. But then i realised that if they had mail we wouldnt know who's letters were whos!
xxx
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI don't know who this friend of yours is that wants to name her child after a fangbanger, but she seems pretty awesome.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, that picture of Barbie? Shut the front door! That is awesome! Where can I buy that Barbie? :)
ReplyDeleteSecond, I loved all the names on your list. I don't really have a baby name list anymore but, the one boy name my husband loves and I depise is Tyson. It reminds me of chicken or Mike Tyson!
First off, that barbie baby is creepy! And that baby in the hat is ADORABLE! omg soooo cute. :)
ReplyDeleteI think it's so rude when people make negative comments about possible baby names. I really hope my future children won't be judged on their names (btw, I'm single, so no children in the near future for me!)
And those cupcakes look yummy!
I LOVE the name Brooks and Tripp...Hubs' friend used Brooks and Palin's daughter used Tripp...FOREVER tainted. Ah ha ha
ReplyDeleteMy five year old son's name is Tyga. We knew he might cop a bit of flack about it being the same as tiger the animal, just spelt different. However, we also know kids can be cruel and rhyme names with everything...and Tyga dosent really rhyme with anything. I am glad we decided to give him the name as it suits him to a tea.
ReplyDeleteI am absolutely nowhere near old enought to think about having kids but I've always loved the name Addison...
ReplyDeleteAnd those cupcakes look delicious :)
my absolute favorite girl's name, and the one josh and i have agreed on, and decided upon for our possible future daughter, is adeline. and we'll call her addy for short, but adeline...it just sounds so beautiful to me. when people have asked what names i like, i've never caught grief for it, either. that's because it's beautiful, DUH. :)
ReplyDeleteas for a boy's name, we can never agree. but i too love the name liam! i think it's great. but my favorite name is elliott. (yes, after elliott smith. ha.)
and i also love the name jude. but josh hates all of those. sheesh.
I've decided that I probably shouldn't have a child myself because I would name them something terribly awful and they'd resent me for the rest of their life. I do think Cedric is awesome. I know someone who named their daughter Sigurd, Siggy for short. She is a big girl though so it fits with its Norse legacy. Those cupcakes look absolutely amazing.
ReplyDeleteGirl, stop it!!!... now I'm getting baby feaver just by reading all these baby names. I don't have one picked out because if I start thinking about it, I'll want to have one! And girl, now's not the time... maybe next year ;-)
ReplyDeleteAs for those cupcakes, I just printed off the receipe! They look soooo good. Hope you don't mind :-)
I love that baby picture. its so ridiculously cute and makes me smile every time I see it.
ReplyDeleteMy first was Rivers and my awesome redneck family was acting like we were ridiculous. Pht on them.
I like all those names. Liam, actually made me think of Liam Neeson, not Oasis. And I love the idea of Cedric.
This is why I named my dog Baby. It solved a multitude of problems. I can't say I'll start thinking about real baby names until I'm pregnant...and according to my dream last night, I should be :-/
ReplyDeleteThose barbies are insane :) haha
ReplyDeleteHappy Sunday,
Hope xx
http://hopechella.blogspot.com/
that barbie is making me freak out, seriously...
ReplyDeletei love the name penelope (i have to admit, it's because of "lost")... penny!
and unfortunately for me, i'm not allowed to think up any boys' names because my husband is a III and if we have a boy it will be IV. rar. dang family traditions!
i do have to say to anyone naming their baby - don't name a girl with a traditionally boy's name! (as i have been)... it can be a real headache.
Still scared of that Barbie baby pic. It's like something out of Alien!!
ReplyDeleteYaaaay funfetti is so yummy, those look great! Yikes, that barbie with a baby in her belly is a bit scary, I hope little girls don't see that, lol. Just take one step at a time sweetie and try to worry about the birth when the time comes, well, that is how I am going to try and think anyway, ha ha. Cute names - I really like Madeline.
ReplyDeleteI too have babies on the brain. I'll be 30 in a week. Newly married. Our best friends about six weeks away from their first.
ReplyDeleteThe birth bit - FREAKS ME OUT. Big style.
I love the nams Henry and Michael for boys and Tahlia and Emily for girls - but I just met a Tahlia I don't like :-( and Emily is my best friends name so I'm not sure if I should! I loved the name Stella because it was my grandma's name but another friend found and out forbade me from having it because that's what she wants :-( I'm not sure that's allowed, names are sort of open game aren't they??
ReplyDeleteLoved this post :-)