4.12.2010

Epic Cupcake Fail.

Thank you to everyone for your kind and encouraging words on my last post. It's nice to know that others have endured changing friendships, and I appreciate your advice to be true to myself. Did I mention that my true self cannot cook for sh*$ ? As in, I may have made FIVE MEALS IN MY LIFE FOR MY HUSBAND. I once tried to make a lime/black bean tilapia - only to figure out that you need to cook black beans first. Umm.

But the true me isn't ashamed to admit that I love to eat. Anything and everything. Especially cupcakes. I bet you couldn't tell from my previous posts.

Let me tell you a little story. The husband and I visited the great city of Boston. In our complimentary hotel guidebook, I discovered there was a Johnny Cupcakes location in the Back Bay neighborhood. To say I was excited is an understatement. I had heard all about Johnny Cupcakes, but couldn't quite remember the details. What I did remember was the "cupcakes". I planned an entire excursion. Mapped out our route. FOUND IT STRANGE THAT THE CUPCAKE FLAVORS WEREN'T LISTED ONLINE BUT WHATEVS. Off we went.

THERE WERE NO CUPCAKES AT JOHNNY CUPCAKES. FAIL.

Please tell me I am not the only one who was thoroughly confused.

But, there were some amazing t-shirts.


johnny-cupcakes

How could you not love skulls and cupcakes? Despite scoring a white on black version of this shirt, I was still sad. Until my hubby bought me a cupcake at Starbucks.

Bostonhx

And then, like Carrie Bradshaw, I got to thinking. About these little delicious treats. And why people love them. And the dozens of cute little cupcakeries all over the country. And how they make people smile. And is there such thing as the "perfect cupcake"?

Perhaps the perfect cupcake is one that is made with childlike wonder.


4G6QiNeiJq7rzedg2B7tfRqBo1_400_large


Perhaps the perfect cupcake is bright and bold.


3544495113_a1dd0dba64_large


Perhaps the perfect cupcake is one that brings friends together.


tumblr_kxcl6vgaFw1qa7gvzo1_500_large


Or perhaps the perfect cupcake is simple and unassuming.

tumblr_kz6lngHN6B1qb5d33o1_500_large


Well, my dear bloggers, I'd love to find out. Is there such thing as the perfect cupcake? What do people love about them? What makes them so magical?

I already have a few lovely ladies lined up to help me find out, but I am asking you, blogosphere, to help me search the globe for the world's greatest cupcake. If you would be willing to submit recipes of your own creations, send me your thoughts about why you love cupcakes or would be willing to check out a few cupcakeries in your area in the name of research, I'd be greatly appreciative and will shower you with love and sparkles and rainbows.

And so, I'd like to introduce "Cupcakes Around the World"! If you would like to participate, please let me know (perfectcompilationtape@gmail.com) All you have to do is smile and eat:)

cupcake1

Photobucket

23 comments:

  1. I got your email lady! There's a cool place in St. Paul called Cafe Latte that has all kinds of goodies - including delicious cupcakes. I'll definitely be emailing you about it!

    P.S. I can't cook worth a darn either, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I would love to do a review of a great little cupcake place we have in Canberra, would that count because I cant cook haha.
    Dont worry I would assume that Johnny Cupcakes would have cupcakes too, at least the shirt is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No cupcakes at a store with "cupcakes" in the title?! What?! Those Sesame Street ones are adorable though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. bleh! patooey!

    not a fan of cuppycakes so i will be passing. but boston on the other hand...now there's somewhere i need to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so what i am reading here is "alyssa you MUST go to sparkle cupcake and eat all the flavours and report back with their goodness"

    ok Meghan, i will!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I can remember reading on the Johnny Cupcakes blog that he actually lists his shop under 'bakeries' in directories, just to confuse people. And he often gets emails from people wanting him to cater for their parties and weddings. Funny place! I made a batch of cupcakes last night for my sister in law's birthday but they were duds so I had to make another batch really quickly. I'm feeling all cupcaked out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boston's best is probably SWEET. In NYC it's Magnolia's. Also CRUMBS are great if you're in the mood for a massive cupcake, and aren't we wall? I actually make amazing cupcakes, so i'll have to send you some! --j-nett

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a baker I dont do many cupcakes but I do enjoy indulging in them on an occasion!

    Cupcakes are a small simple sweet treat for one.Getting the benefits of a piece of cake in a hand held bite size treat. Semi-wrapped,one gets a visual treat before unwrapping and savoring the moist sweetness of cake and icing.

    And they offer portion control for us watching our weight! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any cupcake is the perfect cupcake for me! I especially love mini ones...then I don't feel like I'm eating as much. Ah ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think for delicious cupcakes here in NYC, you have to go to Buttercup Bake Shop. The woman who owns it used to be a co-owner of Magnolia and I think Buttercup is just a little bit better. For pretty cupcakes, it's Cupcake Cafe. The things that place does with icing...it's amazing. But they are definitely prettier than they are tasty.

    And the perfect cupcake...well that's like trying to describe the perfect sunset or the perfect snowflake. They are all delicious in their own way. There is nothing not to love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also have an obsession with cupcakes! If you need any more help, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. soooo cute! :) (love your head band!)

    so i'm no baker, but i can't wait to read the recipes and just see if i can't cook something up!

    i did after all, score a lovely apron thrifting right? it's a sign i MUST learn.

    ps. thanks for entering my giveaway and you should know that U2 is mine and max's band... that you had it at your wedding makes you FABULOUS!!! i finally saw them live on their last tour and it was spiritual. Bono is just friggen COOL. It was a life list checked off for sure.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooo! We have Baltimore Cupcake Company!!! I'd love to help! Assuming that they are still downtown because I heard they are moving. I'll email you tomorrow. :)

    That shirt is INCREDIBLE. Skulls and cupcakes are two of my most favorite things.

    Yes. We are definitely friends.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am laughing about this whole post because my cousin has already been on an expedition to find the perfect cupcake for the last 5+ years! Even funnier is that she was living in Chicago when she started this expedition:) She would be a great person to help you on this venture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. P.S. I totally want to submit my "rainbow cupcakes!" They were magically delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. one word: Chocolate. Chocolate makes the perfect cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't had a cupcake since christmas... I might be going mad lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have you seen this tshirt?

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/44604026/cupcakes-make-everything-better-womens-t

    I think it sums up perfectly why I love them so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it. Will have to see if there are any cupcake places here so we can join in the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. those elmo cupcakes are so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow. i'm so impressed that you kept your composure and actually stayed in johnny cupcakes long enough to buy a t shirt. i was literally so fuming that i yelled at a sales person and asked why it SMELLED like cupcakes. and apparently they have cupcake scented room spray. WHAT THE FUCK.

    anyways. i think i've narrowed my cupcake search down to either kyotofu (cupcakes made with tofu? i think?) or a vegan place in brooklyn. i'll try to get there this week or next week.

    EAT DONUTS.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I personally think the best cupcakes are homemade! I've scoured the earth looking for perfect cupcakes and there's just something so good about one brought from home!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I look forward to following yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think every cupcake is wonderful in its own way! I love cupcakes because each comes packed with a personality and there are so many fun colors to experiment with! That is too funny that that place is called that but did not have cupcakes. Leave it to to the hubby to find one for you, glad you found a yummy dessert!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...