4.27.2010

An American Girl in Paris...

That's right, folks. There will be an American girl in Paris this June, and it will be ME! I will be the one with the greasy hair and large backpack because...I am so elated to announce that my two week European adventure is BOOKED. SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED. It's happening...

I've always yearned to travel and see the world, and even though this will be my first adventure out of the country (besides Canada) and I am almost 30, well, better late than never, I suppose. I've always said that I need to see the world before I bring little bambinos into it. One friend mentioned that this trip will probably change my life. Bring it on. It's time.


3866618188_90aef04718_b_large
via weheartit

With one of my closest friends, we will be traveling across the pond to the following cities:

Paris
Nice
Venice
Rome
Florence
Munich
Frankfurt

I am excited. Ready for an adventure. Anxious to see what the world has to offer. Nervous about packing EVERYTHING IN ONE BACKPACK (says the girl who usually takes three bags on a weekend trip). And more importantly, damn grateful that I have such a supportive husband who knows how much this trip means to me and has made sacrifices to get me there.

While my friend and I are pretty organized and have dived into the research, I'd love to hear from YOU, dear bloggers, about your travels in Europe. Anything would be helpful at this point.

Have you "backpacked"? Any suggestions for packing? If you've visited those cities, are there restaurants you'd recommend? Must-see spots? Tips for NOT sticking out like a tourist? :)

cupcake1

Speaking of traveling across the pond, this next installment of "Cupcakes Around the World" comes to us from Sarah of "Saraharmony...Holistic Living". Sarah lives in the UK and recently discovered a little bake shop, The Hummingbird Bakery. Here is her review, and boy, is it making my mouth water! (Photos courtesy of the bakery!)

hummingbird-cupcake

The Hummingbird Bakery was opened by Tarek Malouf in 2004 on the famous Portobello Road in Notting Hill, London. Tarek wanted to bring the famous American cupcake to London and opened the first store after completing a short baking course in New York. Since that time, two further Hummingbird Bakeries have opened in Soho and Oxford Street.


The Hummingbird Bakery is a favourite stop for celebrities such as Gwyneth Paltrow, Madonna, Mariah Carey and Elle Mcpherson. And after my first visit to the bakery in Portobello road, I can certainly see why it so popular!


The minute I walked into the bakery I was greeted by a counter of cupcakes delights! In every colour you can imagine. The cupcakes on offer include vanilla, chocolate, red velvet, carrot cake and many more. And that is alongside the many tempting cakes, cheesecakes and pies that the Hummingbird is also famous for! It was a tough decision to make! – as Marie Claire magazine once said “If you haven’t tasted a Hummingbird Bakery look-too-good-to-eat cupcake, you’ve definitely missed out. It’s bye bye healthy eating regime and hello fluffy sponge topped with buttercream icing and sprinkles”.


I finally made my decision and choose a vanilla sponge cupcake with pink vanilla frosting and colourful sprinkles. My hubby chose the carrot cake cupcake. Both were DELICIOUS! So sweet and so buttery! We couldn’t leave without taking some cupcake treats home...it was the chocolate sponge cupcake (with chocolate frosting) that I choose to take away with me. Even more delicious than the first and I think I would have to rate this as my fave!


You can even set up the Hummingbird Bakery in your own home with their amazing cookbook! Its full of beautiful and delicious photos to flick through and every single recipe is as mouthwatering as the next. For Easter weekend, I baked the Raspberry Cheesecake Brownie (three of my favourite things) and it went down a storm.


So the next time you are in London, make sure it includes a visit to The Hummingbird Bakery!



The-Hummingbird-Bakery-Cookbook

Thanks, Sarah!!! If you haven't already, check out Sarah's blog, too! She is a reflexologist in training and her posts are always so fascinating!

Photobucket

35 comments:

  1. oh sounds so fun!! i want to go.

    p.s. I have vintage glam giveaway I think you might like! www.wild-and-precious.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaay so happy that you are able to go, I hope you had a nice time! I've been to Paris, but not since I was 16 so it has been a super long time. There is so much to explore though, I would suggest buying a few Paris books on the best spots to see. They even have a vintage shop book on Amazon. You must have their gellato, go to the Louvre, and see the Eiffel Tower! Oh and take lots of pictures for us. Happy for you darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, you will have so much fun!! I'm very excited for you!

    some travel tips for Italy:

    if you plan on visiting museums (and you should, it is Italy, after all!), plan ahead and make reservations ahead of time. Otherwise you will spend hours waiting in line with the tourists. I think you can do this online for some of them.

    If you have time, climb to the top of the Duomo in Florence, it is so worth it! Other spots in Florence: Ponte Vecchio, Boboli Gardens, Uffizi museum, Accademia Gallery, and Tivoli (gelato! near Santa Croce)

    Buy a map of Venice and wander through the streets. You'll probably get lost, but you'll find some amazing photo ops. Such a pretty city! Avoid eating anywhere near St. Mark's Square, the prices are incredibly jacked up. Gondolas are way overpriced, water taxis are much cheaper and more efficient (though less romantic!).

    Rome: well, pretty much all of the obvious spots - Coliseum, Vatican museum/St. Peter's/Sistine Chapel, Trevi Fountain, Roman Forum, etc... also Galleria Borghese (my favorite museum), Gelateria Della Palma (fantastic gelato, near the Pantheon), Capuchin Crypt (google this, it's worth a visit)

    Well, that's enough for now, there is just so much to see and do there! :) This is making me miss Italy SO much! Can't wait to hear about your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a wonderful time you will have - I'm envious. Just don't wear SNEAKERS. That's what all the Americans do...find a pair of pretty and comfy flats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am so jealous! Paris is amazing you will love it. If you are there the first Sunday of the month a lot of things are free including the lourve. I recommend actually going up the Eiffel tower, i nearly didnt and I would have really regretted it. Just walking around Paris is gorgeous. Rome will be really hot so make sure you have light clothing that covers your shoulders and knees so you can still get into all the religious places i.e the catacombs and the vatican. Have some money set aside to buy a leather handbag or jacket in Florence, i really regret not doing that. Also pack good walking shoes and only one pair of "going out shoes" i took way to many shoes and they take up so much room. Goodluck, i cant wait to hear all about it. Ps the shopping in Nice is really good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! This is me being drop dead jealous at your European tour. I have only left the country twice (Mexico and for the wedding) and it's my dream to go to pretty much all of those places you listed. You are going to have the most amazing experiences! I cannot wait for your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm super super super jealous! You will have SO much fun. Ahhh. I've always wanted to go to Europe! One day, one day...

    When I was in Australia and New Zealand, we stayed in hostels instead of hotels and it was soooo cheap. That's the only recommendation I can offer you. But you might have rooming already booked :)

    My other recommendation: Take TONS of pictures and post them like crazy! :D Especially of Rome-I want to know what it's like!

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started writing out a huge post, and have just decided to email you!!

    Have fun and I'm super jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sigh. I'm so jealous of your travels! I hope you'll take lots of pictures, so I can live vicariously through you:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh whaaaaatt!!! so jealous!!! how fun!!! you're going to have the best time EVERRRR and i can't wait to read all about it!!!

    hmmm...who's more excited here, you or me? lol. holy exclamation points.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh I am SO jealous of you! Those are going to be some amazing places to visit. Definitely an amazing thing to do before bringing your own children into the world.

    Take tons of pictures! I can't wait to hear all your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so exciting! I'm in the same boat and I would love to see Paris too! Glad you're grabbing the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cant wait to hear all about it! congrats my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meghan...I. am. jealous.

    You will have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That trip will be so fun! Good luck fitting everything in a backpack - have only done that once - in Thailand - and it was hot there so you didn't need many clothes. My top tips - anything that does not wrinkle, can be put in a dryer & is a dark colour. Layering is the key. Singlets, tshirts, wraps.

    I've traveled a lot - but never to Europe. You will have the best time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Color me jealous! Like everyone has already said, you're going to have the best time (it's true). I was in Paris about 10 years ago, so I don't have any helpful tips. Paris has been one of my favorite places to go, it's just so beautiful.

    As far as backpacking, I have never really 'backpacked' but I did stay in a hostel in Amsterdam once. For one night. Because I couldn't hack it for any longer. haha (it's true)

    ReplyDelete
  17. First, eeeeee, I'm so excited for you and hurray that you'll be this side of the pond :) squeeze england in there too, hehe!! I can't wait to hear about everything!!

    and second, I've seen that cupcake book everywhere lately, they look amazing! I need to go visit!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such an honour to feature on your blog! :)

    Your trip sounds soooo amazing!!! You are going to have the time of your life. Venice is one of my favourite places in the world! There is nowhere else like it. But I know every one of those places you're visiting is going to be great.

    Make a stop to London next time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been to Paris, Rome, Venice, Florence, and Munich.

    Paris is just amazing...you have to walk up the entire Eiffel Tower, skip the elevators. The pain and the view and the feeling you get when you come back down IS the experience. Do all the touristy things, but also get lost in lesser-known neighborhoods--there's really great shopping across the river. See Notre Dame, but also go to Sainte-Chapelle...it has the most amazing stained glass.

    Rome has the best pizza. Buy it at a stand. It will literally be the best thing you've ever had. And get gelato everywhere you go in Italy.

    Venice is pretty but surprisingly dirty, so embrace that. When St. Mark's Square floods, take off your shoes and walk around in it like the locals. Learn about lace-making and glass-blowing. It's incredible. And you must buy one of those chic walking hats and have champagne and fresh cherries on your gondola ride.

    Florence is all about art. If I had to do it again, I'd study before I went. I get so much more out of it if I know about a statue/painting/etc.

    And Munich. We took a biking tour, highly recommend. The history of that place is haunting and nothing beats having a local tell you about it. Also go to the Hofbrauhaus for dinner and half beer, half lemonade. It is so busy, and loud, and traditional, and fun.

    I wish I could go with!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, this sounds fabulous. I'm not a big backpacker, but I have one advise: Exchange Frankfurt for Berlin. So much more interesting and exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so exciting! Rob and I are actually hoping to do an Italy/ Paris honeymoon when the time comes.

    Ok, so tips:

    1. You must watch "Roman Holiday" before going to Rome. I did a whole day based on their activities and it was wonderful. I got my haircut, bought new shoes, ate gelato on the Spanish Steps, had champagne at lunch (and therefore almost missed my train) and visited the Mouth of Truth. Perfect day!

    2. In Paris you should find a little bistro on a cobblestone street within view of the Eiffel Tower at sunset. Order a bottle of wine and just swim in the romance! I did this with my friend, Jen. Best date ever and it was with a girl;)

    3. No advice for Germany, as I have not made it there (yet). But in terms of packing my advice is to pack two pairs of shoes (walking and dress) that are the same color, like black or brown. This will really help you keep down the amt. of clothes you pack since you'll have to match to that color pallette. Sounds silly, but I swear it works.

    Can't wait to read all about this amazing adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh I LOVE the Hummingbird Bakery. I used to work around the corner from it which was so dangerous (and a good reason why I gained about 30 pounds when I lived in London!)

    I've backpacked all over Western (and parts) of Eastern Europe. Let me know if you have questions about any specific places! If you can, you should definitely go to Berlin - way better than Frankfurt and crazy filled with history!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG, lady....I am SO jealous. Seeing the world before you start a family is a fabulous idea. I wish the hubs and I had traveled together more before we had the dude. Congrats! You're gonna have such an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This trip sounds absolutely incredible! Make sure to take a million pictures to share so I came come along too (at least on your blog)!

    ReplyDelete
  26. *sigh* I can only wish I was the close friend to travel with!!
    Im so excited for you!
    Have fun, be safe and enjoy every second!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very excited for you, Megomal. I heart Paris. It is my 2nd favorite city (behind Chicago of course).

    Three tips:
    (1) Consider getting one of Rick Steves' European Travel Guides. They have great "hit all the highlights" museum tours as well as excellent suggestions on budget-conscious restaurants and hotels. http://www.ricksteves.com/books/update/update_menu.htm

    (2) Try to get to the Louvre before opening on a week day. Then head straight to the Mona Lisa (easy to do with the above guidebook). Fingers crossed... you'll beat everyone else and have a few minutes with just you and little Ms Lisa.

    (3) Don't forget to people watch. Its the best (especially while sipping beer, wine, or cafe).

    ReplyDelete
  28. if there is a primark in any of the cities that you are visiting, check it out! so excited that you are doing this for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  29. How fun. I wish I could go. I'd definately like to visit Europe again at some point. I went when I was a teenager but didn't really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. umm...can we say jealous??? well...we can. and i am. that is going to be an amazing trip!!!!
    also, the cookbook is completely adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  31. On my, you're going to have the best time! Lonely Planet have developed some free city guide app's - you should have a look to see if you can find any!

    My only advice is when in Munich drink lots of beer. I taught English there for a summer, and drank lots of beer in a nice beer garden by the big park (whose name escapes me).

    xx

    ps: it made me giggle to find out you have the Starbucks app!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am SO excited for you! (and slightly jealous of course!) You will have the most amazing and incredible time. I got back in September from spending 2 years in europe (3 months at the beginning I backpacked with my friend so I am happy to share any advice you need!)

    Paris: The most incredible place ever ! I love paris. Love is actually not a strong enough word for this city. Shop: Colette (213 Rue Saint-Honoré
    75001 Paris, France) amazing, incredible, just go!
    And on champs-elysees: Laduree: Eat as many macarons and cakes as humanly possibl.
    Gypsies that come and ask "do you speak english" ignore and keep walking, they will try and scam you. Gypsies that come up and bump their "pregnant" stomach against your arm and beg for money also ignore (i was at an atm and had one bump me and made me drop some coins and i felt bad and gave her some - turned out her "pregnancy" was also a helmut..." If any gypsy asks you if you have lost your ring run, its a scam. (am I freaking you out? I hope not! Just gypsies are sneaking buggers.) The parisian police will not take photos with you. Don't buy an eiffel tower statue on champs elysees - they are 12 euro. You can get them other places for 5 euro. Walk everywhere you can in Paris, take in as much as possible, take photos of everything. If you go to the louvre dont spend all day there (there are lots of stairs) and also so much more beautiful things to see walking around and getting lost in the city.

    (I am going to email you the rest because I am getting a little carried away and I am only at the first city!! Check your inbox love xx)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Honey kiss your hubby for me for helping you do this! It is going to be the most wonderful time for you and your friend. I can not wait for your post about your trip.
    Wish I could give you advice but never have traveled to Europe. My daughter went to Spain a few months ago and loved it.
    I plan on taking her to Italy before I get to old to enjoy it...
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...