I know I've alluded to this over the past few weeks, but yes - my husband and I are in the process of moving to the suburbs. I won't feel completely confident until the papers are signed and the ink is dry (and I will share all of the deets then!), but I think it's safe to proceed with this post.
On Saturday, I ordered delivery online through Grub Hub. (I settled for Bountiful Eatery in Lakeview, in case you were wondering.) When Grub Hub informed me that, at noon on a Saturday, there were 762 restaurants available to deliver food to my address, I realized that there are many things I will miss about city-living. (And yes, delivery is at the top of the list!)
In no particular order, I will certainly miss...
The lakefront path
The Chicago lakefront path is my happy place. I've logged many hours running/walking along the path - bright and early on summer mornings, in the rain on a random Tuesday night after work, by myself, with friends, as a participant in a race - you name it. I live exactly one mile from the path itself, which always provided a perfect "warm-up" before any workout. I've ran past fellow runners (and bloggers!) and sorted through issues and problems. Honestly, this might be one of the aspects of Chicago I'll miss the most. However, I am also excited to explore new places to run in the 'burbs AND even join a running club (special thanks to Kelly for the invite)!
The views
Mike and I are pretty lucky to live in a high-rise building with a huge balcony and this view. In four years, we never tired of it. Plus, pre-pregnancy, it was always the perfect view for sipping wine with friends.
This is what wine night usually looked like - before the wine consumption. And yes, the bedazzled skull is coming with us to the new house:)
The food (& drink!)

Drinks at Allium at the Four Seasons
Seriously. What am I going to do without Lincoln Karaoke? Will someone PLEASE have a party here???
As mentioned earlier, delivery is something I'll definitely miss - especially when over 700 places can come to me! But, the accessibility we had to awesome restaurants is something I'll miss the most. We've been fortunate enough to eat at some pretty phenomenal places, like Alinea, Charlie Trotter's, Girl and the Goat, and Graham Elliot, to name a few. But I will also miss the concept of picking a neighborhood and stumbling into whichever restaurant looks/sounds interesting. And outdoor dining in the summer! And brunch with my girlfriends!
And I KNOW this is going to sound terrible, but when Mike and I do get the chance to go out for dinner, I have a feeling we'll ignore the options in the 'burbs near us and instead, we'll be heading right back downtown. So, while I'll miss the idea of walking into a restaurant on a whim, I know the Chicago dining scene will still be a part of our lives.
(Side note: If you check out the "Chicago Food" page above, you can see some of my favorite places!)
Public transportation
YES. I am actually going to miss this. After driving to and from work all school year, I LOVED the concept of leaving my car parked for days and hopping on the L or bus to get to my destination.
The people
Living in a big city is an incredible opportunity for people-watching. I really love the fact that a couple million people are crammed into Chicago's city limits. There was no shortage of interesting outfits, drunken debauchery on the streets, herds of tourists, etc. As crowded as it got sometimes, you have to admit - Chicago is a pretty friendly city. People smile and say hello. (They also spit on you, too, which really happened to me. But, I choose to focus on the positive.)
Street fests
Sure, standing on my feet at a street fest, sans alcohol, didn't really bode well for me while pregnant, but at one time, I loved me some festivals. Whether it was food, music or even crafts (Renegade Craft Fair in particular!), there was always something going on each weekend in the summer.
Obviously, this list could go ON and ON. But, this is what came to mind immediately. Oh Chicago. You'll be missed.
(Oh, and when I went to the grocery store this AM? I was yelled at by an old man crossing the middle of the street - not at the crosswalk. AND, I was solicited for money. I do think I need to conceptualize a post on things I WON'T miss about city living!)
(Oh, and when I went to the grocery store this AM? I was yelled at by an old man crossing the middle of the street - not at the crosswalk. AND, I was solicited for money. I do think I need to conceptualize a post on things I WON'T miss about city living!)
You definitely will miss those things, but you should write a follow up post of all the things you'll have and look forward to in your new neighborhood and living in the suburbs. Chicago is such a unique city with all of the things you've mentioned above. I love that about it! But at the same time, like you said, you can come right back into the city when you get the itch. What burb are you moving to?
ReplyDeleteI wish we had better public transportation here. Driving sucks. I agree with Meghan, it would be a cool contrast to read about the things you look forward to in the burbs.
ReplyDeleteI've never lived in a city but with each of these I'm like, "Oh that'd be awesome." I mean, you cannot beat that view!
ReplyDeleteStill, having lived in a small town for several years now, there's something quaint about that too, ya know? It's kind of fun going to the grocery store and running into several people I know! Unless it's one of my regulars, Melba. She talks WAY too much and if I'm in a hurry that's a problem ;-)
It's always sad to leave a place. I was sad when I left Syracuse ( can't really remember why now..) very sad to leave San Diego. Not sad at all to leave DC actually, and was sad to leave Spain after spending several months there. But, I wouldn't go back to any of them now. ( but I also don't know if I'll stay where I am past 2 more school years...) With each new city that I've lived in, I've found new things that I like. The burbs can be fun & especially with big green spaces and other small children around. I hope the closing process goes well for you guys :)
ReplyDeleteBummer that you are moving to the 'burbs. The great thing about the 'burbs is that you can easily come in and enjoy your city delights, too! We should architect a blogger house swap. You guys can come to our deluxe apartment in the sky and we can go out and relax in the 'burbs ;)
ReplyDeleteI have always lived in the "suburbs" and have always dreamed of living in the city. Unfortunately it's super expensive to live in downtown Charlotte, because it includes a lot of historic area, but maybe one day!
ReplyDeleteMy husband and i were just talking about this yesterday. We want to move into the country , and the things we love about the country are many. But there are a few things we'll miss in the city. LIke yesterday when my husband needed to see a doctor urgently and they could fit him in at 5:30 and he could get a prescription filled after the appointment. That stuff just doesn't happen in country living!
ReplyDeleteI've lived in Chicago and I've lived in various parts of the suburbs ... wherever you live is what you make of it. Although now I'm really curious if you're moving near the F'N Runners! :) Anyway, the suburbs certainly don't have ALL of the options of city life, but they usually have enough to keep you entertained. And the city is just a quick drive away!
ReplyDeleteAs a current resident of the 'burbs, I jump at any chance to visit the fabulous city restaurants I love. And I miss public transportation as well. Needing to drive everywhere is a pain.
ReplyDeleteI miss and heart Chicago! I miss all the same things as you, and realized that a lot this weekend in FL. I went and explored some new neighborhoods, but the lack of public transportation is killing me!
ReplyDeleteAww, so many great things about Chicago but it's nice to know you won't be too far away and you've got lots of great things to look forward to in your new home! I live in a city but it's a very small one and I'm from a bigger one (Montreal) so I can relate to a lot of these things as well, but there are loads of things I love about where I live now that make it worthwhile :)
ReplyDeleteI love public transportation. I wish I could hop on a train and go into the office! Those views are breathtaking. Excited to see your NEW home and life though :)
ReplyDeleteAhh, the views. So amazing. They make me wanna move there. And I need to check out this Grub Hub. Sounds awesome!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure there will be things you love about the suburbs as well, but it's great that you will still have Chicago close by. Good luck with the move:)
ReplyDeleteThis is a good list! I definitely miss the city, but working in the Loop I still get my fix. And it's nice to have a home with a yard in the 'burbs!
ReplyDeleteThat view is amazing! I'm sure it's hard to give up but burb living has its advantages too. Anytime Tommy and I get a date night we try to visit some of our favorite restaurants in the city. In a way it's like we get the best of both worlds.
ReplyDeleteYou're totally still coming to brunch (or maybe we'll come to you!). And since you're having a daughter, she can come to girls' brunch too. She can give us all the gossip about you and Mikey. Oh, and what happened to Olive Garden? That's like half the reason for moving to the burbs!
ReplyDeleteOh, and the Renegade Craft Fair! That was one of our first dates!
Ah yes. Having lived in the city for 7 years and now been suburban living for 4, I totally understand what you mean. I think that I just have a greater appreciation for some of the things in the city that I miss the most. My husband lived in the city for 10 years before we moved to the suburbs too. Whenever we make the trek into the city together, we enjoy our time but happily leave and think "Wow, I don't miss X about living in the city."
ReplyDeleteI'd definitely be interested in reading the suggested follow-up posts too - I love city living, but there's a lot that really annoys me about it too. We have a few more years before we plan to sell our condo here, but it really wouldn't surprise me if I was a fellow burb-dweller in the next 5 years or so. I've lived in Chicago for 9 years and I still can't get over how much time it takes to get anywhere outside of my neighborhood or do simple things like grocery shopping. For day-to-day life, the suburbs really don't seem all that bad or inconvenient by comparison, and you can always come back into the city for street fairs and your favorite restaurants!
ReplyDeleteI'm right behind you, sister. And some days when I'm walking around I think about how much I'll miss this city (hey, I'll still work here!) but I'm so over it! I can't wait to hear about your future home!
ReplyDeleteI'm living out in the boonies now and I definitely miss food delivery!! But I honestly don't think I could go back to the city...
ReplyDeleteA lot of new experiences ahead for you! Big change makes me nervous. Hope all is going well for you!
ReplyDeleteAww you'll miss it, but you can always go back and visit it! I can't wait to hear more about your house!!
ReplyDeleteChicago is one of the greatest cities! I'll miss seeing your balcony shots!
ReplyDelete