9.25.2013

A Little Vacation Planning Equals a Ton of Vacation Fun


2012 was certainly the "year of travel" for myself and my husband.  In the span of one year, I visited New York twice, and together, we also took trips to Key Largo, Las Vegas and Maui.  

DSCF4981
Maui.  I want to go to there.  Again.

Everyone told us to "get in the travel now before kids arrive" because we wouldn't have the time or energy once they arrived.  Yet, a part of me always disagreed with those claims.  Just because I will have kids doesn't mean I'll stop doing the things I love.  Will I take a baby to Europe?  No.  But with some organization and planning, I can still travel and plan vacations that my kids will enjoy.  So when Kendra Thornton proposed the idea of collaborating on a post about this very issue, I thought it was a great idea.  Here are some of her tips:


Organization

No matter how busy your schedule may be, it’s always worthwhile to get away with the children for a week or a weekend. As important as school and work obligations are, the joy of family vacations is incomparable. Also, with Columbus Day coming up, there is a perfect opportunity to get away for a long weekend without the kids having to miss any school. When you travel with your kids, try to book flights and accommodations far in advance. That way, you can obtain the lowest possible rates. Additionally, be thorough when packing. It is easy to put off packing until the final night, and then just throw together whatever is on your mind at the moment. Plan in advance to include first aid supplies, sanitary wipes, and favorite toys to reassure young children in their unfamiliar hotel beds.  

(Side note:  If you live in Chicago, I think long weekends are perfect for renting cabins in Michigan or Wisconsin!)

Lodging

Deciding where to go is part of the challenge of traveling -- and part of the fun as well. Your family might wish to explore a major city, national park, theme park, or beach. Your best bet is a destination offering a wide range of diversions. Chicago is a fine example. This mega-metropolis boasts its own Symphony Center, the Art Institute of Chicago, the Museum of Science and Industry, Wrigley Field, and Millennium Park to name just a few landmarks. Plus, you can enjoy a day trip to Lake Michigan. There you can hike, swim, and sail amid pristine natural splendor. However, to derive the most benefit from a trip to Chicago -- or anywhere else -- you need to research area hotels. By using a hotel-finding website such as Gogobot, you can secure a reasonably priced room in a hotel that provides the amenities you desire.


Untitled


(I simply love Millenium Park.  Kids always go crazy for the Bean!)

Activities

Researching your vacation activities is as important as researching hotels. Find out what local attractions are available so you can see as many interesting places as you can during your stay. Also try to find varied activities so every member of your family will be engaged. Concerts are perfect for music-lovers; horseback rides are ideal for equestrian enthusiasts, and so on. What’s more, if your children are involved in this planning, they’re likely to enjoy themselves more. And when everyone’s having fun, family members bond and appreciate one another anew.    

Every major vacation destination offers an overwhelming number of options for sightseeing, lodging, and dining. But when you discuss these options with your family and set a firm budget, your choices will narrow considerably in a positive way. You’ll be able to stay in a hotel that suits your family’s style and do the activities you all find the most appealing. In many cases, the only negative aspect of a family trip is that everyone will be sad when it’s time to go home!

Thanks, Kendra, for the tips!


Do you travel with your kids?

Do you have any organizational tips that make it easier on you?

Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. We absolutely travel with the kids.. but not to places we haven't been. We go to the beach or Disney or whatever, but trips to NYC and reserved for Mommy and Daddy trips and those are AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE traveling with Kennedy! I hope that we continue to do it as she gets older and there are more kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is great! It is important to show your children the world (or the country)! At least do something with them :) My family would go places, not far, but we at least went places with my mom and dad.

    We don't have kids, but if we did we would travel with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any children yet but I absolutely believe that if you plan right you can still take vacations and do fun trips once you have children. But you also still deserve to have weekends away for just you and your husband, you have the right idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family says that to me too and I absolutely agree with you. I travel a lot too and I can't function without a list that I work on the week before we leave. It not only makes sure I have the stuff I need, but it keeps me from over-packing at the last minute too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never traveled with a baby, but I can say that traveling with a child IS different. Sometimes I'm more tired than she is ;) but you can work around all of it. Family vacations are important, fun, and great memories! And I'd love to take McKayla to Chicago! And New York... and Europe.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the same way... Now that carter is here, the hubs and I still plan on traveling- our trips just may be a little bit different and kid friendly :) I want us to experience things as a family and build fun memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom always said she would never let school get in the way of her children's education, so we definitely traveled even when we were supposed to be in school! And I think I turned out okay education-wise. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...