9.11.2013

Chicago Architecture Tour!

This year to celebrate my dad's birthday, we decided to plan a family outing in the city.  On the agenda?  The Chicago architecture boat tour and some deep dish pizza.  We were all tourists in our own city, and it was a perfect day.

It's funny - our building is right on the Chicago River and we see/hear tour boats pass by several times a day.  Yet, Mike and I (nor anyone else in my family, for that matter) had ever actually been on one!

We decided to go with Wendella Boat Tours, which very conveniently docked practically next door to us at the Trump Tower.  (Side note:  If you ever get a chance, visit the bar on the second floor and order a glass of champagne.  Sure, it's pricey, but the views are great and it's definitely an experience!)

Untitled


The tour boat attendees?  My brother Kevin, my sister-in-law Karen, my brother Mike, and Mike's girlfriend Emily.


Untitled


And then of course, we have the birthday boy - my dad, Jack!  Next to him is my beautiful mama, and of course, myself and Mike.  I look super pregnant and bloated here, but it was HOT and this pregnant mama doesn't handle the heat well.

Untitled


The tour was 75 minutes and took us through the north and south branches of the Chicago River.   I've lived in Chicago for 8 years (and before that, in the 'burbs for my entire life) and it amazed me how much I didn't know about my own city.

Although, I DID know a TON about these buildings...(In case you didn't know, we live here!)

Untitled


We passed by so many buildings that I recognized, but knew nothing of the actual history behind them.

Untitled


Here's the famous Merchandise Mart.  For instance, I had NO IDEA there was any connection to Marshall Field (a famous department store chain).  Also, when it was built in 1930, it was the largest building in the world at the time!

Untitled

We ended the day with some deep dish pizza at Pizzeria Uno.  I never eat pizza in Chicago (I know, right???  Why not???) unless I am with people who are in town visiting.  And even though we were all born and raised here, going out for "famous" pizza is something we've never really done as a family.   I'm calling for more pizza in my life.


Have you ever been a tourist in your own city?

Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. Oh fun! There's not much to do in my little town here but I always wanted to do something like this in the Twin Cities. I'm sure there's a ton of things I've never seen there before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tour sounds like so much fun! I think being a tourist in your own city is a fun thing, there are so many different things you can learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! I didn't know you were in Marina Towers! How is it there? I've always loved it from the outside, I really want to buy a condo there next year... but ya know... never actually been inside it haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you finally got to go on the tour! It's one of my favorite things to do/have people do when they visit. I've actually been on the tour three times! But I didn't grow up here, so I legit played tourist when I was new to town :) I hardly ever do anything touristy anymore. I haven't been to Navy Pier in several years, only have deep dish like once a year, and have still yet to go to the top of the Sears Tower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... Chicago's architecture is just so darn cool! What a cool city to be a tourist (in your own town, for that matter)! Definitely on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love being a tourist in your own city! We did the architecture boat tour when we visited Chicago (I was also pregnant at the time, although still in the early [rather nauseous] stages...good times). It was really cool! Definitely a highlight. I'm more of a NY pizza girl myself, but I can definitely support the cause of more pizza in your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love architecture...and these are some amazing buildings. One more reason for me to visit!!!! And heck, you might have felt hot and bloated but you looked awesome. I wish I looked this good in the near future when it's my turn. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! Every time my friends visit Chicago, I always become a tourist again. From drinks at the Signature Room, to a boat tour, and each time I fall in love with Chicago all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun day! I have never done that before, but it's crazy how much you don't see in the city that you lived in your entire life! I keep saying I will go downtown and just walk around during the day and take pictures of stuff I have never seen, but it has yet to happen lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I've done just about everything my town of 5,000 residents has to offer - ha! But I love Chicago and would love to visit again. I'm glad y'all had such a good (informative) day ;) Happy birthday to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been on a few architectural boat tours and I love them! I love being on a boat, and I love learning about Chicago history.

    And one more good thing about being in the 'burbs - Aurelios Pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE that tour! I did it as a teen but not again until last summer, we did the sunset Wendella tour with the whole fam. an it was awesome. Chi-town is beautiful--even to a local!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Chicago Architectural boat tours! I have done them a few times and feel like I always learn something new! What a great way to celebrate your dad's day!

    I like to play tourist when we have guests :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. MMM pizza!! I'm glad your dad had a great birthday and that tour looks like a lot of fun! Mike and I like to play tourist in Maine when we go see my parents, it's fun and for Mike some stuff is new since he isn't from there. We do some touristy type things in Rochester too, though I wouldn't consider Rochester a bustling tourist area.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...