9.05.2013

What I'm Looking Forward To About Suburban Living.

Since many of you suggested that I do a follow-up post to my "What I'll Miss About City-Living" list, well...thanks for the idea!  Even though Mike and I will miss the city terribly, there are so many things we're looking forward to about the next chapter of our lives!

Side note:  Some of you might think this post is a total snoozefest.  If so, I don't blame you. One of my favorite websites is the #myfriendsaremarried Tumblr page, and I found this image with the heading:


WHEN ONE OF MY FRIENDS TELLS ME THAT SHE'S MOVING TO THE SUBURBS


 photo tumblr_mri4va9q1W1s0axgjo1_500_zps4581853a.gif
Yep.  I used to have the same reaction, too.  Sans cigarette.

Owning Our Own Home
homeownership


Mike and I have lived in the city for 8 years.  During that time, we also planned a huge wedding and he changed careers.  While we could have purchased a home in that time, we didn't think it was smart.  We weren't sure when we'd get pregnant, how long we'd be in the city, etc.  So, we waited.  And honestly, I am glad we did.  I think we're buying just at the right time, and we are SO excited to have a place to call our own.  And OMG - WAIT until I share our decorating ideas with you.  We've got some tricks up our sleeve:)

A 10-Minute Commute


Commuting
via

YES!  After commuting from the city to the suburbs every day, which really isn't THAT bad, I am elated to have a ten minute commute to work.  Sure, there were days where I'd spend anywhere from 30-60 minutes in traffic, but since I was heading to the city, it was always worth it.  But now?  I'm tired of traffic and construction.  

My Parents

Untitled
The Parents, Jack and Judy.  How cute are they???


Yep, you read that correctly:)  It just so happens that my parents live a few blocks away from our (hopefully) new place!  We didn't purposely plan it that way, but I think it's a huge benefit.  One, we love them dearly; two, they aren't the type of people who will just "pop" in; and three, my mom is going to watch our baby girl when I go back to work.  Having family so close as we start a family?  Priceless.

(And, my brother and sister-in-law, plus several friends, live in the 'burbs, too - so they are obviously included in this list!)

Peace and Quiet

While I'll always love Chicago, I think the lack of noise in the 'burbs will be a nice change of pace.  Mike and I are so accustomed to simply turning up the volume on our TV when we hear sirens outside.  I mean, we used to hear gunshots and explosions from a movie set across the street and it wouldn't even faze us.

Saving Money

I suppose this isn't the first thing that comes to mind when buying a home, but in the long run, we're going to save day-to-day money.  Gas, groceries, going to out dinner - you name it!  And speaking of groceries, it will be nice to shop without being harassed for money, or watch people get arrested while I am selecting my produce.


Honestly, that's all I can think of at this point - what am I missing?  :)







Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. Oooh yes! I like Katie's answer!
    My MIL lives across the country and it's too close. But that's my issue, not yours.
    I think once baby girl gets to be preschool age you'll appreciate not having to hunt and pay $$$ for good education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about huge parking lots?? Everywhere you go should be easy to park!! That's something I'd like :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, you work in the suburbs? That right there is an awesome reason to live there! I've been doing the reverse commute for 9 years - it IS bad. Often. Getting rid of that traffic headache and freeing up some time in your day will be huge (I know this because I stopped going into my office on a regular basis this year - it's awesome!). AND you have family and friends there already! I think you're going to be just fine :)

    And definitely the forest preserves and other trails! This past week I've been at Waterfall Glen and on the Prairie Path, and both are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always felt like as long as you live close enough to still get to the city then you're good. The thing I love the most about living where I do is that the Twin Cities are still close enough that I can go do lots of things. I don't feel like I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere, I just need to hop in my car and drive on over.

    I think you're going to end up loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The average price of groceries was one of the biggest sticker shocks when I moved to the suburbs. I couldn't believe how cheap things were! Another thing I like about the suburbs is the kindness of strangers. Sounds weird, but people smile on the trail and say hello to fellow people. It isn't unusual to strike up a conversation with the cashier at the store. As opposed to the city where you are worried about getting robbed or someone scamming or asking for money. I think Britt (Chicago Runner Girl) also put a blog post together on the suburbs when she first moved there last year. I love that we will be neighbors with our newborns! I see lots of stroller runs in our future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having family close by when starting your own family is worth gold. We have my in laws close by, and they have helped us out countless times babysitting:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You might actually have a backyard in the 'burbs? I swear that's more important to me than what the house looks like. We chose a smaller house because it had a private yard and killer garden space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great, positive list! :) Good luck adjusting to your new location.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay!! Such great things to look forward to, and the whole raising a baby thing!! Good luck with the whole process!! When is closing? did you guys get that far? I will want all those details! Aka i am taking a second look at a house tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that finding a little community of people in your 'burb is really nice. When I lived in the city I barely ever saw people on the streets that i recognised from being in my hood. But now that we live (well, just out of the city...city enough) in the inner suburbs I see people on my street, we shop at the same markets, etc etc. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, I love your parents. So cute!

    These are good reasons! I've never really lived in a city (Rochester is a city but we live in the suburbs, ha) so I can't really contribute. Though, my commute is almost as bad as if I did live in the city, ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a good list to me! :) Having family close by is SUCH a blessing. Awesome that your mom can keep the baby, too! Can't wait to see the house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love you for sharing that tumblr page, ALL my friends are currently engaged and its freaking me out (ironically Thomas and I have been together longer than all of the other couples and we have no wedding plans lol) so my inner face is constantly 'gahhhh!'. I'm glad I now have gifs to share how I'm feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. When we were living in the burbs, we were super close to my parents (obvi, we lived with them) and my brothers (15 minutes away), which was pretty awesome. I do miss that now that we're in the city. So being close to family is pretty awesome, I assume even more so now that you're own family is growing.

    Also, the F'N Runners! I miss them. They are a great group. And being able to go for a run from your front door and NOT have to deal with tons of pedestrian and car traffic. Although you are probably closer to the Lakefront Trail than I am right now (2 miles away).

    And I'm sure you'll love having a backyard and a driveway & garage.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved both of these posts! I identify with them so much. And you're so lucky to have your parents so close! I certainly know how hard it is to say goodbye to life in a city you love, but it sounds like you're getting a pretty good outcome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so wonderful that your family is going to be so close to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...