8.08.2012

My Eclectic, Yet Embarrassing Playlist

Hey friends!  A few things for you on this fine Wednesday morning:

* I am guest blogging today over at "They Call Her Meghan".  The topic?  MY BOO!   Yes, I get all sorts of schmoopy and discuss how I knew the husband was THE ONE!  

* Congrats to SALLY!  You've won the free race entry for the Pretty Muddy Women's 5K!  I will send you an email!

* If you didn't win, but are still interested in running, you can sign up HERE!  AND!  BEST PART!  If you use the following code (PCTapeDisc) you can get $10 off your registration!

************************************************************************************

Do you listen to music when you work out?  Lately, I've been going back and forth on the issue - I typically listen to music on my short runs, and without it on my longer runs (which sounds strange, I know).  Regardless, I am constantly adding new tunes to my collection, especially after I hear something particularly catchy on XM Radio.

Yet, when I look at my overall collection, I realize that its probably unique embarrassing for someone my age.  And so, I thought I'd share some gems that I've added over the last few months - organized by category, of course:)  Perhaps you'll find some new tunes to add to your playlist!

The Usual Suspects (a.k.a. "Songs By Scantily Clad Women (and Men) That We All Pretend To Hate But We Love to Dance To, Especially In a Bar")

- "Till The World Ends" by Britney Spears
- "Part of Me" by Katy Perry
- "Dancing On My Own" by Robyn (seen below)
- "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga
- "Payphone" by Maroon 5






The Ones That Make Me Feel Trendy (a.k.a. "Songs That Hipsters Might Approve Of")

- "Sweet Disposition" by Temper Trap
- "Electric Feel" by MGMT
- "Helena Beat" by Foster the People
- "Little Talks" by Of Monsters and Men
- "1901" by Phoenix






The Ones Where It's Clear That I Am a Child of the 80's/90's (a.k.a. "Songs That Remind Me of Painful High School / College Memories")

- "Vision of Love" by Mariah Carey (My dream karaoke song - I often sing aloud when running along the lakefront path.  Clearly, I make lots of friends.)
- "Only In My Dreams" by Debbie Gibson (She was my IDOL.)
- "Ava Adore" by Smashing Pumpkins
- "Only Happy When It Rains" by Garbage
- "Roxanne" by The Police




The Ones Where You Question My Age (a.k.a. "Songs That Are Probably More Appropriate For My Father")

- "Evil Woman" by Electric Light Orchestra
- "Easy Lover" by Phil Collins
- "Oh Sherry" by Steve Perry
- "September" by Earth, Wind and Fire
- "Feeling Stronger Everyday" by Chicago (Guaranteed to make you run faster!)




The Ones That Are Slightly Embarrassing (Not to be confused with my 80's/90's category)

- "Lovely Day" by Bill Withers
- "When The Going Gets Tough" by Billy Ocean (Seriously.  WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM???)
- "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor
- "What a Fool Believes" by the Doobie Brothers
- "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley






The Ones Where It's Clear I'm Meant to Be a Broadway Star (Even though I'm completely tone deaf...)

- "Let Me Be Your Star" by the SMASH cast (Seriously.  Run to this.  You'll imagine yourself crossing the finish line of a marathon and get weepy.  This happens to me on a daily basis.)
- "Rumour Has It / Someone Like You" mash-up by the GLEE cast
- "Defying Gravity" by the Wicked cast
-  "On My Own" by the Les Miserables cast





So, are you going to disown me for this list?  Any gems you'd like to contribute?

Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. I love that you have some ELO on there! I like running with music, I seem to run faster with it without realising. I haven't found the right thing to listen to yet though, I dont really listen to it properly though as I'm normally with Thomas and we'll chat too, its nice in the background though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat! I get to comment today! (my work computer seems to have a rough time with blogspot)

    I love that you have the Robyn song in there. I have no idea how I heard that one, but it's usually a staple in my longer races.

    I actually sorta love your entire playlist. It's like we're soulmates. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, when I am running, my playlist consists of songs strictly from your category #1. :) In fact, I will be downloading that Robyn song immediately--love it!! I'd never heard it until this post. :)

    If you have any other recommendations from this category, PLEASE send them my way! I was just thinking about how I need to revamp my playlist because I run to the same one every time. Mine is made up of: Ludacris (Welcome to Atlanta), Britney (3), Ride Wit Me (Nelly), R. Kelly (Hotel), Rihanna (Take a Bow), Lil Wayne (Mrs. Officer), Akon (I'm So Fly), Jagged Edge (Let's Get Married), etc etc . . . the only type of music that keeps me going when my legs & lungs are exhausted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meghan I LOVE you. I'm going to go download some of these, I forgot I liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This list is awesome. On my Own is also on my exercise list (not joking). I can also play Eye of the Tiger on the flute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha I LOVE this list! Especially Defying Gravity and Never Gonna Give You Up (classic). I have never heard of the "Trendy" ones, but I'm definitely going to check them out. I think I would have to add Cher to my embarrassing list, particularly Believe or Turn Back Time! (We can still be friends, right?!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Defying Gravity is a running MUST!!! I'm not gonna lie.. I snickered at "vision of love"... still a great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love earth, wind, and fire!!! My ultimate "kick it up and finish strong" song is "you make my dreams come true" By Hall and Oates. Seriously. You tell me who should be ashamed here....

    ReplyDelete
  9. So NOT going to disown you girl. Impossible. Love this and actually thanks to you remembered a few songs now...haha. I'm so old. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE THIS POST. If we were to ever accidentally swap iPods and unless they look different, we'd never realize we had. Because 90% of those songs are on mine as well. :) As I went down the list, I kept thinking, "OH HECK YES!" My favorite lists are "the ones where you question my age" and "the ones that are slightly embarrassing." Dude, seriously, I blare that music in public unashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. THANKS, MEGHAN!

    Question: do you take a sip of water every time Sting says Roxanne? Or does that only work with beer? Also, why no Lonely Island?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Robyn is THE BEST. Hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have A LOT of overlap in our workout playlist!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't ever run with music because I'm afraid someone will attack me and I won't hear them approach. It's a stupid rationale since I'm usually breathing so hard I wouldn't hear an elephant stampede behind me. I stick to it though.

    I'm not sure what's more embarrassing - your playlist or the fact that I don't know any of those songs! I recognize a few (Katy Perry, etc.) but everything else is a mystery. That always happens when people share their playlists - I don't recognize any of the music! I need to get out more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 'Never gonna give you up...Never gonna let you down
    Never gonna run around and desert you...Never gonna make you cry...Never gonna say goodbye...Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you!'

    I should be just as embarrassed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a GREAT list. I have many of these on my iPod.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...