8.02.2012

My Delusions of Grandeur...Or, Why I Blame the Olympics for My New Goal.

(FYI - I have two giveaways going on!  See below this post!  Also, the July re-cap / August goal setting for our "Go For the Goal" link-up is scheduled for Monday, 8/6!  I hope you'll come link-up with us!!!)


I'm sure this is, like, the 400th post about the Olympics that you've read, but this is different.  I swear.


It's about me.   Shocking, I know.   And how, after this weekend, I think I am going to be a professional cyclist.


Damn you, Olympic games.


My plan for the XXX Olympics was to watch the opening and closing ceremonies, as well as the women's marathon and perhaps gymnastics.  That was it.  However, after my long run on Saturday, I tuned in to the men's cycling road race, and heard all about Mark Cavendish and Bradley Wiggins (who just won the Tour de France) and I was hooked.  AND THEYRE NOT EVEN AMERICANS.  (They're team Great Britain, btw)


And I was like, "I could totally do this!"


If you know me, this is comical on many levels.  I bought a bike once.  But I was so afraid of getting hit by a car on the streets of Chicago that I never rode it!


Then, on our honeymoon, I thought it would be fun to bike the Golden Gate Bridge.  Except, I got nervous heading down the hill at the end of the bridge and was HIT BY A BUS - although, my husband will tell you that I probably "fell into" the bus because I'm really clumsy.

IMG_2154
Me, all bright eyed and wind-blown before our ride.

IMG_2161
The scene of the crime.  It was a gorgeous day for an accident.


Whatevs.  It was a nasty fall, and I had a huge bruise down my entire leg for the duration of our honeymoon.  Classy.


Anywho, despite all of this, I have begun to feverishly research bikes.  And road races.  And what it takes to be an elite.  


My husband, on the other hand, would like to point out that since I am both "reckless" and "clumsy", perhaps it would be best to buy a spin bike that I can KEEP INDOORS and avoid cars and tourists and accidents and the like.

Sigh.  A girl can dream, right?  


But seriously.  You'll see me in 2016.


Will YOU be participating in the 2016 Olympic games???  :)  Which event???

Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. Love this! I also have the same ideas of grandeur. Except I know I won't ever make it to the actual Olympics. Instead I am delusional enough to make a very "loose" goal of qualifying for the trials in 2016. Not sure which event yet- marathon would mean taking off 1:20 from my current PR. No big deal right? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I know it wasn't funny, but the caption saying "it was a gorgeous day for an accident" had me laughing by unexercised ass off.

    Love that you are planning on getting into biking (stupid Olympics... they convince me I want to me a swimmer... HA)!

    Also, just so you know.. I like, live vicariously through your healthy lifestyle here on blogger. As I sit on my ass wishing I could stop making excuses for going jogging in the morning. I know once I start, I'll like it and feel great. But getting past the asthmatic panting in the beginning is what holds my lazy bum back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so funny! i am a super klutz. i think thats why i like spin class, because the bike doesnt actually move! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok. I was scared to heck of my bike before the MS150. Then I was forced to put my big girl panties on and get on the stupid thing. And then I fell in love.

    I'll join you at the 2016 Olympics. Let's promise to finish together so we can both be #1 and win gold. Deal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be competing on the gymnastics team in 2016! Now road races- I am positive I would have an experience like yours and get hit by a bus or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bahahahahahaha! I was 12 when the summer Olympics were held in Atlanta. My mom has pictures of me wearing a USA t-shirt and doing a headstand. And come on, I'm 4'11". Obviously I'm a gymnast! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, you can dream though :) I do think you could take up cycling though, it's not too scary once you get the hang of it!

    If I could compete in the Olympics it would be open water swimming or the triathlon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha this is hilarious! Of course you'd be inspired to take up a new sport/challenge. :) Although I haven't been tempted to buy a bike or anything, I am definitely feeling more pushed when it comes to exercise . . . if I get tired or feel like I can't keep going, I'm like "uh, Claire, so-and-so just swam their ass off" or "those gymnasts train for hours and hours a day" and such.

    This is the first time I've been really into the Olympics (since it was in Atlanta in 1996 and I got to go to a couple events!), and I love it! Gymnastics is my fave, of course, but I also like swimming and synchronized diving. So fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha, I guess we can have a blogger meet up, I found out the skeet shooting doesn't really have an age limit, so that there I'm entering the Olympic, how hard can that be? Aim and shoot, piece of cake and I will take the gold:) See you in Brazil:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So funny! I am going to be the first American to get gold in ping pong! I'll buy you a drink in Rio after we get our medals, k?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always thought being a gymnast would be fun but I'm so terrified of getting hurt that I'd probably be bad at it lol.

    P.S. So I've been waiting to see my work schedule because it turns out that I planned the sleepover for the same weekend as some huge festival in my stupid town. I ended up not being able to get the weekend off, which is pretty much awful considering how far in advance I requested off.

    HOWEVER. Izzy and I are going to be in Milwaukee the evening of the 19th through the 22nd. Can we make something work? I'd love to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you shared this! I would LOVE to do a road race, which I plan to transition to since it's easier on my knees after NYCM. I can't believe you got hit by a bus though...on your honeymoon! I bet you have tons more stories like that though :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I shouldve been a gymnast, I have the body of one! ...minus the six pack ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I, too, have decided to become a professional cyclist!! Team USA!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will be cheering you on in 2016!! I wouldn't choose biking myself because I only like to bike on deserted roads (no cars, no other bikers, no darting squirrels, etc.), so unless I was the fastest person or the slowest person, a race wouldn't really be up my alley.

    I always wanted to take up fencing. I think I should get some lessons and meet you in Brazil. How's that sound? They also have golf in the 2016 Olympics and maybe I could cash in on my Greek citizenship and earn a spot on their golf team (since the U.S. will probably have a great team and I wouldn't make it). I don't know of any Greek golfers so my chances might be better...

    ReplyDelete
  16. You'll see me during the gymnastics events in 2016. Bahaha. These athletes are intense! I could only.dream of doing what they are accomplishing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You'll see me at the concession stand, bahahaha!

    So sorry to hear about that bruise. Cycling can be rough. The furthest I've gone is 22 miles and whew! To me it's actually harder cycling inside though =/

    ReplyDelete
  18. No joke, I feel (well, 'felt' now) that I could totally compete in Archery. I loved it in high school and thought I had a chance, if I set my mind to it, at becoming awesome.
    Not anymore. Damn Hunger Games and all the 13 year olds who want to be archers. They totally screwed my plans.
    Damn them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...