8.15.2012

Champions Run 10K & A Bike Lesson

(Hi.  I am currently back at work after a lovely summer off.  Please forgive my lack of commenting.  I will come visit your blogs this weekend!)

On Saturday, I woke up bright and early to temperatures in the 60's (pause for reaction) and worked my way up to Montrose Harbor for the Champions Run 10K.  I could NOT have picked a better day to FINALLY get back into racing post-injury, and boy, was it perfect.

I wish I had a zillion cute pictures to show you, but alas, I ran this race alone (such is my life these days), and shockingly enough, felt awkward asking a stranger to take some pics of me, all excited and jazzed to finally be racing again.




I did, however, catch a few photos of the scene at Montrose Harbor because it was THAT gorgeous and perfect.  Did I mention the temps were in the 60's?!?!?!?!


Untitled

What's everyone looking at?

Untitled

Why, this, of course!  What a view.


As the race began, I have to admit that I was fairly nervous, as this was really my first race "back" post-injury.  I ran a few 5K's earlier in the summer, but they were so slow that I didn't really count them.

The course, despite being a smaller race, was pretty packed for the first two miles.  Miles three and four were pretty open (WAY up north on the lakefront path), but once we started to head back to the harbor, we ran into the marathon training groups, and had to share the path with everyone and their mother.

Now, please keep in mind that my splits may not seem overly impressive, but after all that I've been through these past few months, I'm pretty happy:  

Mile 1 - 9:43
Mile 2 - 9:44
Mile 3 - 9:45 (I am the queen of positive splits, btw!)
Mile 4 - 9:37
Mile 5 - 9:38
Mile 6 - 9:32
That random little bit at the end of each run that makes you feel fast - 8:30

My watch?  6.28 miles in 1:00:17.  

However, probably the most exciting part of my day?  

I RODE A BIKE!

Thanks to my dear friend Laura, I hopped a bus to Roscoe Village after the race to try her road bike in a less threatening environment (I live RIGHT downtown.  Where there are a lot of cars and busses and tourists and scary people).  

Once again, I am sure this post has only solidified how incredibly average I am, but riding a bike around the block (which included a busy street) was huge feat for me.  I didn't die.  I didn't stop with my feet.  

I am so on the road to the 2016 Olympics. 

How was your weekend?  Any exciting adventures???

Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. I did my long run that day... it was SO beautiful along the lake! Best training day yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I worked all weekend! And we were supposed to go to a new malt shop near us but then I got home from work, sat down and I didn't want to get back up again =-/ So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an AWESOME 10k time wow! Great work! I hope your school year gets off to a good start. Mine started with stress and continued that way for the whole year, so I trust yours is going well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for racing again! So proud of you! I am running my first road race in over a month on Saturday. It's small, but I'm excited! :) And I'm glad you didn't die riding that bike! Or get injured, or fall off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous pics! and congrats on your race! considering i can barley run one mile, i think your times are waaayy above average. :)

    are you still going to flywheel?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Meghan! I'm excited to be able to make baby steps back and will consider small victories along the way. This is awesome that you got out there and did a 10k, and you did it well! And congrats on riding a bike. You better be careful or you'll be ponying up $1000 to buy one. That's what's going to happen around these parts in the far too near future I fear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That view and those times are fantastic! Good job!
    And 60s?! SO jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was doing my long run that day! I debated crashing the champions after party and buying a beer, haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous day for a race. Wow your pics are divine. Good on you for running strong. WTG!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy you had a great race and a great day! I was just reading another report from that race and the person LOVED it!! :)

    I don't think it's silly to be excited about trying out a road bike!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on a great race! A couple months ago, I rode a bike for the first time in probably a decade, and it was kind of terrifying. And I live in the suburbs. I don't know if I could handle riding a bike in city streets without A LOT of practice. And a helmet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on a great first race back! You did amazing!

    I'm glad that you rode a bike, and didn't use your feet to stop :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice job on the 10K! I am sidelined from running right now too- but hoping to be given the green light to run again soon! I had not biked in years until I rode one in Europe last month. It was slightly terrifying at first, but by the end, I was having fun. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...