6.30.2011

Top 5 Thursdays - The Holiday Weekend!

Before I begin, two things!


* A special shout-out to Amber from "Brunch With Amber" for helping me brainstorm potential Top 5 lists!
* Did you enter the Stella & Dot giveaway?  You can do so here!


Ok, folks.  After much deliberation, I've decided to dedicate this week's list to the upcoming 4th of July weekend!  I, for one, cannot believe the holiday weekend is already here, as it marks the halfway point of my summer vacation (eek!).  However, I will try not to think about the fact that I have to return to work in a month and a half...so, let's get distracted by discussing fun things, shall we?


The Top 5 Ways I Plan to Spend My Holiday Weekend!


(You can also turn this into a Top 5 4th of July Traditions list, too!  Or just talk about food.  Or fireworks.  Whatevs!)


5.)  Running


Me!
(That's me, in May, after a half-marathon.  Just give me some coffee and Twitter, yo!)


My half-marathon training continues!  I have a long run scheduled for Saturday AM (8 miles) and will probably get a shorter one in on Monday AM as well.  So far, things are going well...except for the pain in my ass.  Literally.  I think I pulled a glute muscle.  Le sigh.  


4.) Baking


raspberry-lemon-bar-recipe1

Because I bake nothing but cupcakes, I thought I'd try something new for the holiday weekend.  Hopefully, my raspberry lemon bars will not make people want to vom.


3.) The Taste of Chicago


Marky
(This is a dear friend of mine, mowing down on a turkey leg.  He rocks.)


The Taste is a week-long festival of FOOD here in Chicago, where local restaurants set up booths full of delicious goodness.  From turkey legs (as seen above) to cupcakes, the Taste is pretty spectacular.  Unless you get stabbed, like some people did last year.  But don't worry.  It's totally safe and family-friendly.


2.) Parties!


We have several parties to attend, as well as host one of our own.  Here's to BBQ and copious amounts of Skinnygirl margaritas!


1.) FIREWORKS


fireworks


A quick story about this one.  My building has 60 floors with an awesome rooftop.  Our view of the city is pretty amazing and PERFECT for catching Chicago's fireworks.  However, I have totally missed them over the past two years.  Why?


2009:  My husband and I decided to have people over.  It was our first summer living in our building and we were excited to see the show.  We were hanging out on our balcony when we heard the fireworks start.  About half of our guests decided to stay put because they were too drunk engaged in great conversation.  The other half (including myself) made their way to the elevators.  Of course, everyone in our building was trying to get to the roof.  My guests decided to walk from floors 29-40, and then try and catch the elevators from 40 up to 60.  Me, being the total idiot badass that I am, decided to RUN from 29-60.  I was on the 57th floor when it happened.  PEOPLE STARTED WALKING DOWN.  I had missed the entire thing.


But my friends loved it!


2010:  My husband and I were at a family party in the suburbs.  We thought we left in time to get home and catch the fireworks.  We were three blocks away when they began.  We were still three blocks away when they ended, due to traffic.


So, the moral of the stories?  I WILL SEE FIREWORKS THIS YEAR.  NO EXCEPTIONS.


What are you up to this weekend?  How do you normally celebrate the 4th?  Feel free to link up!



Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great weekend! I love 4th of July fireworks! And your raspberry lemon bars sound delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I miss the Taste of Chicago! There's a Taste of Minnesota here (if there's a Wisconsin one I have no idea when or where) but for some reason its just never been the same as the Taste of Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel free to send some of those raspberry lemon bars my way! ;) Taste of Chicago sounds/looks delish. They have those here in Dallas & Addison, but I've never been.. maybe I should. I do love food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am running 8 miles on Saturday too! Good luck and happy running - hope your glut feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I officially love your blog! I'm from Michigan and Chicago is one ofmy favorite cities to visit. I love that it's so close to us! And my roommate and I are now obsessed with Skinnygirl Margarita. It's soooo good, and guilt free ;)

    It sounds like you've got a great weekend ahead. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sometimes i think i want to be a runner, and then i try to run, and then my bum gets all jiggly from all the bouncing up and down and owie and basically my point is that i'm jealous you're so fit because it clearly doesn't work for me!

    i saw Skinnygirl Margarita at The Whole but was sort of skeptical -- i guess i'll have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your holiday weekend sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am actually happy that the summer is going by. I love the FALL and then Christmas, of course.

    Your 2009 fireworks story is sad. I hope you see them this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um, can I go to the Taste with you and then watch fireworks on your rooftop with you? I only live in LA, I can get there right away!! ;)

    Sounds like an awesome weekend! I hope you have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, raspberry lemon bars! YUM! I hope you have a wonderful fourth and eat tons of hot dogs and turkey legs. And WATCH FIREWORKS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. im doing a very similar post tomorrow....bananas! i will be running on the 4th weekend too! those raspberry lemon bars look sooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so cute! Love that picture of you at the half marathon! And I hope you see fireworks this year!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woot woot for fireworks! I love them as much now as I did when I was little!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a perfect weekend! Hope you have a great time! :)

    ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great blog! Hope you have a happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  16. when is your 1/2? And i wish i could go to the taste of chicago...i'm coming to chicago in august and was looking it up and keeping my fingers crossed that it was while i was there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woohoooo 4th of July! We're going to a tiny town called Jerome tomorrow on a road trip, and on Monday we're going to a friend's BBQ to get too drunk I MEAN engage in great conversation! It's about 150 degrees in Phoenix now, so about all there is to do is swim and drink.

    America, F yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a great way to spend the holiday weekend! I hope you get to see the fireworks this year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like an amazingly fun weekend you've got in store for you!
    I hope you do get to see the fireworks this year!!! :) And please enjoy them for me - it's been so dry in Texas that they've banned fireworks due to fear of wildfires :( Like you, it's been a couple of years since I've been able to enjoy a great firework show on the 4th (I think the last time was at a Texas Rangers game on the 4th two years ago!).
    I wish I could go running with you one day (although I could never keep up - I've never run more than 6 miles at one time without stopping so 8 miles + sounds insane!). You really inspire me with your training! And I hope the pain in your ass goes away real soon :)
    My mother-in-law's birthday is on July 4th so tomorrow my husband and I are going to head to Ft. Worth to spend Sun & Mon with her. I'm SO excited because I love spending time with her :)
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend love!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I actually had a margarita yesterday... but they'd be a lot better in your sporty company! I am admiring of your marathon training... way to go girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...