6.06.2011

First Summer Weekend!

Hello, dears!  How was your weekend???  I am so happy that, for me, it's finally SUMMER, and I love that I have the ability to fill my weekends with fun events without having to worry about grading papers or preparing lessons for Monday.


That being said, my first "summer" weekend was busy, busy, busy.  I started my Friday morning off with a long run and spent the majority of my afternoon cleaning and organizing around the house.  I may or may not have even NAPPED (this rarely happens).  That evening, my hubs and I went to see "Bridesmaids".


bridesmaids-movie-poster-xlarge-300x444


Oh.My.Gosh.  Despite the what the critics have said, I thought it was hilarious!  I love the awkward humor of Kristen Wiig, and Melissa McCarthy was the bomb.com.  A colleague of mine said that I often sound like Kristen Wiig, and after that movie, it was such a compliment!


On Saturday, I was so blessed to be a part of a bridal shower for my brother and future sister-in-law.  They are just made for each other, and I cannot wait for their wedding in August.  Not only was it a beautiful shower, but it was nice to be in the cool air-conditioning on such a hot day.


IMG_2136
My momma and her attention to detail is amazing - adorable centerpieces and table numbers in the wedding colors.


IMG_2139
My beautiful momma and sister Molly.

IMG_2140
Molly and myself.  Dress is from Modcloth - I'm obsessed!


That evening, Mike and I had dinner with some friends at Wildfire, which was pretty fantastic.  There's nothing quite like a half-slab of ribs, a few glasses of wine and some dessert the night before a 5K.


Which brings us to Sunday morning.  Yikes.


Since I didn't eat or sleep well the night before, I was a tad nervous about the race.  Nevertheless, I showed up for the United Airlines Race for the Zoo 5K and had a blast - even if I was by myself!


It was an awesome event.  The course takes you through the Lincoln Park Zoo, as well as the park itself.  Although it smelled like animal feces, it was quite scenic and felt more like a casual run through the neighborhood than a race itself.  And the best part?  Popsicles and Q'doba nachos at the finish.  I love me some food.


And...I also PR'd!  Again, this might not be super impressive to some of you seasoned runners, but I am really happy with my time.  According to the actual race itself, my final time was 25:46.  This is 15 seconds faster than my last 5K time in April.  Here is my Garmin report:




Split
Time
Distance
Avg Pace
Summary00:25:473.1208:16
100:07:561.0007:56
200:08:241.0008:24
300:08:301.0008:30
400:00:560.1208:05



I think I may have started a bit to fast, hence, the increasing times, but I am happy nonetheless.  Last year, I was running 9-10 minute miles, so I would say that this is a vast improvement.
What did YOU do this weekend?



Photobucket

27 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your weekend sounds amazing!! I am so jealous of your summer!!

    As far as I'm concerned, blogs and Twitter are my critics! That movie sounds hilarious!

    Your dress is all sorts of adorable!! Do they have petite? If so, you may see me wearing a blue dress soon! Hah!

    I am super impressed with your time!! I'll keep working toward that!

    Happy Monday! Enjoy your time off :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Bridesmaids! Cute dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an amazing weekend! (The first shower pic isn't showing for me though.)

    I too thought Bridesmaids was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome weekend:)

    Do you like your garmin? Which one do you use? I need to buy one so I can try to speed up my run times. Need some motivation.

    I love Wildfire! My bf's bday was yesterday, so I promised I would take him there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhh, I love all of your dresses, you all look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I reeeeeeally want to see Bridesmaids! And I love your dress! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just saw Bridesmaids last night -- hilarious. I adore Kristen Wiig! Great job on your PR -- 25 minutes for a 5K is pretty outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect weekend to kick off your summer! Girl, you are adorable and I love your dress and red shoes :)

    This weekend I ate a pulled pork grilled cheese sandwich. That was a highlight, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those dresses!!! I really want to see Bridesmaids!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your time!!! That's awesome! I remember when I was running a lot of 5ks I could run them in 23 mins or so...then I started training for longer distances and somehow that time crept up and up. The last time I did a 5k it was about 30 mins - more of my marathon-mile time and soooo much slower than my past 5k time (although I was also 20 years old back then too - maybe I should blame it on age).

    ReplyDelete
  12. You weekend sounds so awesome, I'm a smidge jealous! I LOVE your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just loved Bridesmaids! Glad you are having fun on your time off :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, so I have yet to see Bridesmaids but I'm worried that I won't like it because it's been hyped up too much. I probably will watch it when it goes on Netflix - glad you lurved it though!!

    What a cute bridal shower!! Lovely tablescape.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO jealous of you teachers having a summer vacation! I truly picked the wrong thing to do in life (haha just kidding! I know teaching is so much more than the awesome schedule :)

    I absolutely LOVED Bridesmaids! It was SO funny, yet had just the right about of serious stuff to balance it out.

    My baby sister Maddie's bridal shower is this weekend and I'm SOOO excited! I'm currently in the middle of planning her bachelorette party as well and that's been a lot of fun! :) I hope her bridal shower turns out just as beautiful as your brother's! Those centerpieces and table numbers are adorable! And your dress - you look simply gorgeous!

    And congrats on your fantastic 5K time! I would be SO happy and proud if I could do a 5K under 27 mins (my best time so far) and you really inspire me!

    So glad you had such a wonderful first weekend of summer :) Enjoy the rest of it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so awesome! I'd just be happy if I could RUN a 5K, so to me that is super speedy :) I am so looking forward to NEXT summer. This one is ruined for me by studying, but every time I get all summer sad, I write down what I want to do and save it for next year, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a FAB weekend! yay on your 5k! i saw bridesmaids this past week too and thought it was hilarious! AND a shower on top of that - so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have GOT to go see Bridesmaids, all the reviews on other blogs have got me pumped!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahh super jealous of your PR!!

    And why is it that weekends FLY by in the summer???

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whooo boy, the ladies of your family are super gorgeous! Look at your momma...looking lovely!

    Congrats on your PR :) I really really dislike running, but I still try every now and then to find a deep love for it. Your blog is a huge inspiration to try, whether I like it or not!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay for no work for the summer! I am a little envious of you for this!!

    And Bridesmaids - I have heard such good things about it. I don't think it's out here yet (we are so behind in the UK!) but when it is am definitely going to see it!!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thought Bridesmaids was hysterical too and way better than The Hangover 2. There were so many awkward laugh out load moments.

    The shower looks very pretty and you look great in that cute dress from Modcloth (love that site).

    Congrats on the 5K and making a new PR!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bridesmaids was awesome. I kind of hate running but I still do it from time to time and I love actually participating in 5ks. I feel so good when I'm done. It's just the training for them that I hate.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Can't wait for Bridesmaid...so need to go see it! And your weekend sounds fantastic! Love your blue dress!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your dress! I really really really want to see Bridesmaids!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I thought Bridesmaids looked so stupid by the previews, but everyone said how good it was so I saw it and LOVED it! I was laughing the whole time. My fave scene was when she was trying to get the cops attention toward the end of the movie. Kristin Wiig is so funny.

    Awesome 5K! Speedy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...