7.08.2010

Top 5 Thursdays - My European Adventure, and a Giveaway!!!

I've been back on American soil for almost two weeks and STILL haven't gotten through all of my Europe photos yet.  Scratch that.  My husband hasn't finished editing all 430 photos I've taken.  (Side note:  My hubby is a photographer so while I can take photos, it seems silly NOT to hand them off to him in order to make them look better.  At least I'm honest!)  I think we're going to eventually create a video or slideshow of some sort, set to super meaningful and poetic music.  But in the meantime, I will share the highlights with you in a top 5 list - after all, it IS Thursday! And if you can make it all the way through this post - there is a special surprise at the end - a GIVEAWAY!  So, without further adieu, here are:

My Top 5 Favorite Moments in Europe

***Background:  I traveled with a friend from college for two weeks.  We visited Paris, Florence, Rome, Venice, Munich and Frankfurt. (Florence was my absolute favorite!!!)

5.) Watching a tiny Asian woman get drunk in Munich (I wish I had a photo of this!) and finding SURFERS in Munich's English Garden.  Yes, surfers in Germany!


P1030637


I really loved Munich.  From farmers markets to wiener schnitzel, there was something new around every corner.  Since this is a more upbeat post, I won't say much about our trip to Dachau, a concentration camp (and I refused to take pictures while there), but I will say that it was life-changing, eye-opening and gut-wrenching.  

4.) Getting caught in a flash flood heavy rain in Venice...

P1030511


...and then sunning ourselves in St. Mark's Square.


P1030550


(Yes those are my ridiculously smelly feet...)


In Venice, I just couldn't get over the fact that everything is ON THE WATER!  I loved taking water taxis everywhere and marveling at the fact that most buildings have an entrance for boats.  It's really unlike anything here in the U.S.

3.) Getting in touch with my inner gladiator in Rome.


P1030483


P1030461

(I call this one "Life Among the Ruins"!)

As a history teacher, Rome was especially exciting for me.  I was enamored with the ancient ruins and the sheer history that lay within its borders.  I particularly loved the Colosseum and couldn't believe the size and structure.  To imagine men and animals alike, fighting to the death, was unbelievable.  


2.) People-watching in Paris and meeting up with a darling blogger, Susa of Susu Paris Chic.


P1030261


P1030318


Most of our people-watching was done at the Jardin de Luxembourg, a wonderful, lush garden in the middle of the city.  It was filled with romantic couples, as show above.  Paris really IS for lovers!


Susa, my darling blogger friend, was a DOLL!  She took my friend Laura and I all over Paris, showing us incredible views of the Eiffel Tower (like this one from the garden of a museum), and sharing with us her European adventures.  She is such a smart, compassionate woman with such a zest for life, and I highly recommend you check out her blog here.


1.) Wandering the streets of Florence, or FIRENZE, as they say in Italian.


P1030345


P1030357


We could have wandered the streets of Florence for HOURS!  It was filled with adorable little cafes, trattorias, and the most colorful buildings I've ever seen.  What a beautiful, romantic city:)


And because you've been such a great audience, it's time for a giveaway!


Since glass-blowing is such a huge industry in Venice, I came across so many little shops filled with jewelry and other adorable glass items.  Therefore, I am giving away one necklace, one wine bottle stopper, and because I happen to have an extra copy, one of the most hilarious books of the year, "Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang" by Chelsea Handler.  I felt the book was appropriate since my friend and I did a lot of reading in Europe and made a habit of leaving our books in random places for fellow travelers when we were finished.  So yes, right now, some German man is reading my copy of "You'll Never Blue Ball in This Town Again" by Heather MacDonald.


Here's the merch!  Don't worry - I am not wearing the actual necklace I am giving away.  I just loved it so much that I bought one for myself, too :)


IMG_4242


(This photo was taken last weekend.  I am all sorts of proud that I actually baked. Sorry, I am not giving away the cupcakes or the cupcake courier. Although I can make you some if you'd like...)


venetian-wine-bottle-stopper-20091129-6


(This isn't the actual stopper, but it's very similar.  The one I am giving away has more primary colors!)

chelseachelseabangbang_hires


To enter?  It's simple!


* Leave a comment and tell me about a recent adventure of yours!


For extra entries?


* Become a follower of The Perfect Compilation Tape
* Follow me on Twitter
* Blog or Tweet about the giveaway.  You can even use this little statement:


Check out the giveaway @CompilationTape http://tiny.cc/p74c9


If it's not a total pain the ass, please leave separate comments for each.  If you forget, no worries - I will still love you anyway:)  The giveaway is open to EVERYONE, even those of you who live on the moon, and will end on Wednesday, July 14 at midnight!
Photobucket

96 comments:

  1. I love the enormous bag you walked around with in each city. My most recent adventure was driving solo through the Columbian River Gorge outside of Portland, OR! Such a BEAUTIFUL place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looky, looky, I'm the first. My latest adventure involves me, a pink Holga camera and New York City. While NYC is a home to me, having it as a background for my new (film) photo taking obseession was an adventure. I can't wait to see what turns out. Thanks for sharing your pics and stories, all beautiful. Look forward to seeing more! Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have I mentioned how jealous of you I am?

    A recent adventure... does going into Minneapolis today count? I haven't gone yet but I am PETRIFIED of driving in Minneapolis. So if I get out without getting lost that'd be good, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE these treasures! My MOST recent adventure was taking my two year old friend Naomi to the zoo yesterday--ha! Today, we're heading out on another adventure . . . just not sure where yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Facebooked about it here:
    http://www.facebook.com/kieferclaire

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there! Love the blog! Your newest follower!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw similar surfers In Bern, Switzerland. Crazy what you can do if you really wanna get out there!

    I also went to the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam, and cried through the whole thing. Unbelievable!

    Glad you had fun!!!

    I haven't had many adventures recently to note, but we're going rafting this labor day weekend! Yipeee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your photos! I traveled through Europe during the fall, so the spring/summer photos are a nice contrast to mine! I'll have to go back in spring or summer next time!

    Recent adventures? Hmm...well most recently, I was in Philadelphia for the 4th of July and it was about 103 degrees outside. When we came upon the famous Love fountain, my friends and I decided that we HAD to take a dip! We went swimming in the Love Fountain right underneath the Love sign in the middle of Philly!

    It was so much fun =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Megs! I would have to say my biggest adventure was traveling around the world for over 2 years with 20 day on and about 5-10 days off work per month (if I was lucky). But I saw some crazy fun things and also some things I did not need to see. But my biggest adventure in the past couple of months was taking the plunge! Of course I had my beautiful bridesmaids to back me up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your pictures are amazing! sounds like a great adventure!!

    i'm a follower

    ReplyDelete
  11. sorry.. my most recent adventure was to Honduras!! i'm still sad to be back. i miss all the dear children i grew to love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Girl--Your pics are amazing and your European adventure looked great and so much fun! My latest adventure I just blogged about. We went camping to Alpine Valley to see DMB and had a great time at the concert. After the concert we waited quite a long time to get out of the crowded parking lot...rather than dwell on the situation--we opened the jeep up, had more beers and played my Girls just want to have fun soundtrack and watched the fireworks! it was great! We also cruised over a big hill to get out of traffic-we probably should have gotten a ticket--it was a wild ride!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A recent adventure? It's been a long while since getting pregnant! But after a very horrible Saturday recently, the husband and I drove to Santa Barbara for the day. It's like 4 hours from where we live. It rained the whole time, we went to the house I was born in, we walked on the pier, we ate taffy and ran about. It was wonderful. :)
    (And I LOVE that necklace.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. And of course I follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. And again on Twitter. (Seriously, come to Cali! We don't get earthquakes often...)

    ReplyDelete
  16. And I tweeted your give away. Seriously, do you get the comment emails? Cause you must be getting a ton! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Most recent adventure? Ikea. Saturday morning crowds. :) I got an instant "happy rush" seeing the JdL picture! I used to eat lunch there EVERY day (except when it was raining, but even then sometimes)...ah, la vie parisienne...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a twitter follower too :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. my recent adventure was a roadtrip weekend up to Oregon with some friends/roommates.

    thehaleyscomet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. and I follow. :)

    thehaleyscomet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. and I tweeted @thehaleyscomet

    thehaleyscomet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. and I follow on Twitter. yay!

    thehaleyscomet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cute pictures.

    To answer your question that you commented, the race is in NY. Its at the Saranac Brewery. check out Boilermaker.com for more info. its a pretty fun race.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love, love this post!!!
    Reminds me so much of my time in Europe, thanks for sharing. I also featured your blog in my latest post :-)
    My latest adventure was to Sydney to visit my sister, so much fun. Lots of dancing, drinking, shopping and eating.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those pictures are PHENOMENAL! I adore the one of you in Venice with your umbrella. OMG could I be more jealous of you trip? I think not.

    Let's see...a real life adventure of mine? The most epic one was probably my cross country drive when I moved to California in 2005. I took 9 days to travel across and split time camping and staying in hotels. We camped in this crazy little town in Utah that was in the middle of nowhere and only had a steakhouse, campground and trading post. I felt kind of like I was in a horror movie haha. Too bad I was with my ex or the whole trip would have been way more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  26. And of course I also follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  27. And I follow you on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  28. a cupcake courier? hilarious!

    i just had an adventure outside my house at the tall ships festival. i got to see gorgeous ships from all over the world as well as many enthusiasts dressed like pirates.

    i wanted so badly to say "ahoy matey" out the side of my mouth to one of them but i couldn't muster up the courage to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for such a GREAT giveaway!! By the way, I loooved St Mark's square-- great picture!

    I'm a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I follow you on Twitter too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'd say that a recent adventure of mine was white water rafting in Colorado!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm going to Paris next spring if everything goes as planned!

    ReplyDelete
  33. your vacation looks like it was perfect! i've got an adventure coming up this weekend: taking 2 year old nephew to the circus! should be interesting! lol

    ReplyDelete
  34. and i follow you on twitter!! (@fabulousbutevil)

    ReplyDelete
  35. The photos are beautiful! My most recent tip was to DC, It was super hot but I was able to see wonderful friends. pomflair(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  36. My latest adventure involved me and an outing to TJMaxx (I have been working every single day this week so an actual adventure is out of the question).

    ReplyDelete
  37. Latest adventure... taking the "Muscle Madness" class at my gym for the first time. I was a little nervous because I was going it alone but figured I would suck it up, just focus on my health, and ignore any negative self talk.
    When I walked in I was completely in shock, but for the fact that I had just stepped into a class of a bunch of little old ladies! I asked one in a yellow sweat suit if I was in the right place for "Muscle Madness" and a bunch of ladies immediately jumped in and helped me figure out what equipment I needed for the class.
    What a workout! These older women were having so much fun and I was sore the next day!
    I'm glad I went and plan on going back to see my new lady friends soon!

    ReplyDelete
  38. oh my gosh, your pictures are FABULOUS!!!! i want to go to europe SO BAD! must make it my next adventure.

    and what a fab giveaway! i already read that book and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, what beautiful pictures! A recent adventure that I had (yesterday, in fact) was going to see She and Him in concert -- it was a delightful show, but I couldn't take pictures because cameras were forbidden (lame).

    ReplyDelete
  40. Requested to follow you on twitter @omydarlingblog

    ReplyDelete
  41. love the photos! they look great and sounds like so much fun.
    also...i picked that book up and read the first chapter...giggled to no end. and need to read the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  42. of course i follow you on twitter and the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Ohh it's been a while since I have had a real adventure but in just a few weeks I'm off to Singapore, Malaysia and Borneo. Though one of my favourite memories from last years vacations was staying over night at a boat on Halong Bay in Vietnam, it was so beautiful and relaxing, which was very much needed after spenting a couple of days in Hanois traffic:)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Loving your holiday photos! Looks like you had the most amazing time! a few (well, 8 years ago, ahem) I taught English in Munich for the summer. Had such an amazing time, you just reminded me of how much I love Munich.

    I'm looking forward to my holiday to Morocco. A bit too much actually!!

    Missed your blog!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your pics are just so full of life, dear Meghan! I had such a wonderful afternoon touring Paris with you and Laura.

    I really hope to make it to Chicago one day and to see you again... soon if possible!

    My best recent adventure was seeing Paris through your appreciative eyes and sharing our lives for a brilliant, brief moment. True life's gold dust sprikling times!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow, your Europe pictures are amazing!

    I love this giveaway, my only recent adventures are taking small road trips with my friends to visit the colleges we're all heading off to in the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  47. and I follow you on your adorable blog!


    and now on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  48. hmm, recent adventure? does surviving through my husband's first year of law school count? haha.

    {oh and ps. good news on my blog!}

    :]

    ReplyDelete
  49. and I'm a follower! Your pictures are amazing and that blue necklace is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  50. okay i love everything about this post.. you are adventures are just the greatest.. and its so wonderful because i went to munich once and so i know exactly what you are talking about and i have a picture of the crazy surfers in the river too!! AHH! I LOVE IT!

    also HOORAY for giveaways!!
    a recent adventure? a day trip around my city {nashville} to local hot spots and eating delish food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Blogged here: http://projectsimplelife.blogspot.com/2010/07/5qf-once-again.html

    ReplyDelete
  52. How I would love to visit Europe! There are so many countries that I’d love to see and you visited a few on my list. That is awesome that your husband has an eye for photography. Making some sort of video with some beautiful music and words would make a great memory of your time abroad. That is also so fun that you got to go with a friend.

    Seeing the guy surfing in Germany is certainly something unexpected and it probably didn’t take much for that little Asian lady to get drunk. The food in Munich sounds like it was delicious and I’ve always wanted to try wiener schnitzel just based on the name. Sidestory: In high school, I had a boyfriend name Werner and his family was from Germany. His nickname was “wiener schnitzel” from his guy friends (all in good fun). It was pretty funny at the time.

    It must have been chilling to visit the concentration camp. I can’t even imagine the feeling.

    Love that rainy photo of you in Venice and the fact that it’s on the water. I think it would be so fun to taxi along the waterways from place to place.

    That photo of you in from of the Colosseum is simply beautiful. It looks like it should be a postcard!

    How fun that you got to meet up with a blogger in another country! I think it’s quite special that you had someone so familiar with Paris as your own personal tour guide. I bet you saw some amazing things.

    The photos of Florence are also so nice and I hope you share some more.

    Please count me in for this giveaway. That necklace is gorgeous and the wine bottle stopper is sure to be a conversation piece. I’ve always heard great review about Chelsea Handler’s book and have been wanting to read this (I love that you left random book in some of the countries you visited).

    I guess the latest adventure for me to share would be when my husband and I took a cruise back in April. It was special because it was the VH1 Best Cruise Ever and had some of my favorite bands on the ship like, Lifehouse, SafetySuit, 3 Doors Down and Parachute. We really had a blast and met some great people that we still keep in touch with.

    Sorry for the extremely long comment and thank you for sharing your fabulous trip with us!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I am also already a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I also already follow you on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Last but not least, I have also posted about this giveaway on the sidebar of my blog under the giveaways section.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I also follow you on twitter. Jmomiller

    ReplyDelete
  57. I'm not entering the giveaway but I can't wait for you to post all your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  58. SUCH amazing photos! Oh lady, I am so envious of your trip :) My recent adventure was starting a new job!

    ReplyDelete
  59. That umbrella shot is priceless lady! My last adventure was today...I had 12 kiddos in my house for the dude's bday party. Now THAT is an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Love gettin' your tweets. So, that means I follow. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  61. I just started following you. Love ur blog

    ReplyDelete
  62. Recent adventure----bought my 1 st house. Huge adventure without leaving town

    ReplyDelete
  63. Those pictures are incredible! I loveeee the picture with the Eiffel Tower- It's gorgeous. Can't wait to see Paris one day:)

    ReplyDelete
  64. I came to your slice of the internet pie by way of Jules from Chic & Pink.

    Hmm...a recent adventure. How about camping in Buxton, NC over Memorial Day weekend? We do it every year, but when you've got two kids in tow and you're coordinating a big camping weekend with other families, well, it's an adventure. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  65. I just sent a request to follow you on Twitter. I'm @maliasma.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Just spent the weekend in Seattle for a conference, my first trip to the Pacific Northwest. What a fantastic part of the country. Playing golf and looking down several of the fairways, right at Mt. Ranier...views from the top of the Space Needle...fresh seafood as far as you can see...watching out for flying fish at the Pike Fish Market...pictures to come at a future meeting of the dinner club

    ReplyDelete
  67. OH MY GOD I want all of this immediately, right now. I recently went to Colorado (like, ALL over it) and am trying to assemble a post about it! It was amazing, Colorado is one of my favorite places to go.

    ReplyDelete
  68. And I just requested to follow you on twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  69. Aaaaand I just tweeted your lil blurb. I'm @sunshinekara. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  70. So its the beginning of an adventure. My mil just passed away and she was raising my two nephews and niece. And now my husband and I are. Six kids. And they are spoiled brats. I'm thinking of it as an adventure. Trying to rethink of things in that many kids terms is pretty crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Oh, I'd love to enter. My last adventure actually took place in the city I live in now, Baltimore. We live in a cute little neighborhood made up of young professionals, but not all of Baltimore is like that. We basically rolled up into the Wire set (HBO show) on our way home from pre cana classes because we were lost. I was a tad nervous while driving through there at the time, but I can giggle now.

    And I'm a follower

    ReplyDelete
  72. I "blogged" about the giveaway! *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  73. What an inspired giveaway! While not as far and exotic, my recent adventure was to Governors Island in NY with my parents! Its very cool - so close to NYC but it feels like a world away, and has the best views of the city!

    ReplyDelete
  74. have just sent a request to follow you on twitter, too - I'm @emmanemhandmade

    ReplyDelete
  75. Oh no! I almost didn't enter, silly me!

    My recent adventure is probably the duathlon I did a few weeks ago, even though that really isn't much of an adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...