7.20.2010

When You're Downtown...

In case you couldn't already tell, I absolutely adore Chicago and all it has to offer.  However, there are some days when living right downtown exposes me to a wide variety of oddities - random people, events, situations, etc - and this has been happening all too often as of late.


* Visitors outside my window at 8:00 a.m.


IMG_0419




I live on the 29th floor of a high-rise building, and there is work being done to the exterior.  Therefore, I see this little cart, complete with two or three men, outside of our window each morning.  I bet they love to see me workin' it to P90X...


* Vincent
vincent-at-home


This adorable gentleman not only lives in my building, but he can often be found on one of the bridges overlooking the Chicago River.  At first, I wasn't sure what to make of him - he never speaks, he dresses in bold suits (today he wore "peach"), and he dances every single time a boat passes.  But due to further research, I've discovered that Vincent is a legend!   I had no idea that a documentary had been created about his life. Check out this trailer for "Vincent: A Life in Color":






* Movie sets




We all know how much I am DYING to meet a celeb.  Well, I think I will have to settle for the filming of "Transformers 3".  Despite my hatred for anything robot-related (or Megan Fox for that matter - yes, I know she isn't in this movie, but still...) it has been pretty cool to watch the following take place across the street from us.  There's nothing quite like helicopters, cars on fire and gunshots at 10:00 a.m.  Here is some video my husband shot from our balcony!




* Coffee shops...with Delorians???


IMG_0421


Hmm.  I'm not sure what else to say...


* Beautiful little parks in the middle of a concrete jungle


IMG_0424

Perhaps this isn't an "oddity", but I am always amazed at the little spots of serenity that exist within larger cities...

How is your city unique?

Photobucket

36 comments:

  1. sooo until this post i really didnt know anything about chicago... apart from it has food in trucks alot. and something about oprah... i think..

    now i want to move to Chicago! It looks beautiful, and exciting and who wouldnt want to live in a city wiht a man that wears colourful suits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh... and sydney is unique because.... umm... we have a crazy man that stands on one street every day with a sign warning us of UFO's?

    umm... i dont know what else is unique. all the water. and the harbour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha so sounds like something that would happen here in NYC. and it's true, isn't it funny how you can find little bits of serenity inside the concrete jungle?

    hope u have a fabulous day & thx so much for the bday wishes :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chicago looks beautiful! That is one place (one of the many!) I want to visit but have not made it there yet. One day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chicago is on my priority list! ;) I so want to visit it. Mainly because it's the sister city of the one I live in now, second because I just always loved its skyline (yes!) and whole feeling. ;) Then again, how can I gain a feeling if never been?! through movies, books, stories...awwww...the windy city is on my list! Now more than ever!

    Thanks for sharing. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vincent sounds awesome! But the creepers outside your window... not so much!

    And hey, if you DO meet Megan Fox you could always tell her she sucks as an actress, hehe.

    What's cool about my town? Um. Not too much. It's just a little small Wisconsin town made up of bars, gas stations and churches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only spent a couple weekends in Chicago, but want to go back. Someday.

    My city is unique because *I* live there, it's the only place that can say that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been to Chicago but that filming video looks pretty awesome! Love me some Shia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Chicago! I got to live their when I attended LUC. I decided to transfer, but I still loved Chicago. One of my favorite things I did while there was attend Oprah's 24 season block party with the Black Eyed Peas, Rascal Flatts, J Hudson, and James Taylor. Too bad Oprah is leaving. Chicago is still great though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a cool place to live! My friend from childhood lives there now too and loves it. Weird things about our city. We were on MTV (or Comedy Central...probably the latter) for a "Toad Tunnel" they built so frogs wouldn't get hit by cars (they supposedly never use it)...there was also a ordinance passed for snoring too loud, that's right, you can get a ticket for snoring in your own house too loudly. And our past mayor ordered all of the street lights in our city to be pointed down to reduce light pollution so we could see the stars easier. Cool thing is we just got the bike hall of fame!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just saying last night how I'd like to visit chicago one day! And this post made me only want to visit more!

    Hmm...maybe I'll come stalk you for a while...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love Chicago! Seeing these pictures from around the city makes me want to go back! My uncles lived there for years and I would go up about 6 times a year to visit them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to see Chicago!! OMG they're filming Transformers 3 there now??? Ohhh I might get to see it!! I'm going there this week. 29th floor? Woa your view must be incredible! That's great that you love your city!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE CHICAGO!!!!!!!!!!!
    so much.
    i'm going to school there in JANUARY!
    so basically this is my favorite post ever and you are my favorite person ever for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know what you mean about parks in cities...I love finding those pockets of peace, especially in new cities.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Chicago, but Boston will always be my favorite city. Chicago is just a tad big for my liking! Although you do have pot bellies, which I love!


    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  17. love this glimpse into your city!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I went to Chicago once for a very quick work trip. It was fabulous. I don't really live in a city - I live in a suburban city. It's unique because it's one of the few planned communities in the U.S. It was created by James Rouse - the same guy that developed Faneuil Hall in Boston and Harborplace in Baltimore. He was also the grandfather of Edward Norton - who grew up here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is NOTHING exciting about my town. Like...nothing. Roy Rogers and Dale Evens are buried here, but that's not exactly...you know...thrilling.

    But giiiirrrrlllll, I love me some Transformers. LOVE. If I lived in Chicago, I'd be hunting down Bumblebee and Prime for pictures and a little bit of love.

    I always love seeing your building on TV and in movies and such. It's like seeing you...it's weird.

    I know what you mean by us not knowing each other, but we kinda do. Just not face to face. It's a modern friendship. :)

    Love!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aw, now I want to visit Chicago! I've never been that far east before (I've never been past Montana, in fact). I love big cities but sometimes they freak me out 'cause they're so big and it overwhelms me! My little town is the perfect size--between 30 and 40 thousand people. Not a whooole lot of quirks, though... unless you count our famous squirrel bridge :) Someday I'll have to do a post about the quirks of my town--you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like a great place! I've always wanted to visit Chicago! Maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You live with a celebrity…Vincent! Good for him for doing what makes him happy and living life in color. That is very cool that you can see the making of the new Transformers movie from your apartment. I’m not a fan of the franchise, but I still think it’s cool to see the inner-workings of movie making.

    It must be very fun to live downtown. I am about 10 minutes outside of the city and don’t get to experience a lot of this. I think Philadelphia is so unique because it is such an old city. There is so much to explore that I take for granted because I live here. I really do need to venture into the city more often.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm pretty positive The Fugitive is one of my all-time favorite flicks JUST because it takes place in Chicago.

    :) loooooooooooove.

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh i love vincent! LOVE HIM!!! if ever i'm in your beautiful city, i will make it a priority to meet that guy! he makes me happy just looking at him!

    i don't even live in a city. i live a town. something special about it? uhhh...it was once in the guiness book of world records for having the most fast food restaurants. it's now out of the running but still. kinda cool? or not. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love getting a little sneak peak around peoples cities! I always planned to go to Chicago and watch a taping of Oprah but it seems that wont be happening anymore but I am still going to come and visit.
    So cool that they are filming transformers there too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. now i really want to visit chicago! i'll have to add it to my list of places to see!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Chicago! I was thinking about applying to Northwestern and U Chicago for grad school but coming from the Northeast, I just don't think I could take more winter!! Have you seen the movie Wicker Park? That actually makes the wintertime look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I will be back in my secong home 10/21 - 10/26!!! I cant wait to get back to Chicago! Even more so cant wait to move there!

    Well I live in the Bay Area, grew up in San Francisco and have lived from here to Sacramento! There is so much to see in The city, from Pier 39 to Lombard Street. North Beach to the Golden Gate. Chrissy field to the Presidio! I can go on and on moving south to Santa Cruz North to Bodega Bay and East (where I currently reside on) to Berkeley's Univeresity Ave and Oakland's Jack London Square...

    But I fell in love with Chicago when I first visited 5yrs ago, the culinary school I want to attend is there and so is a piece of my heart!

    Cant Wait to come back !!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awww... how cute is Vincent?

    ANd wow, you live right near the action! How cool that you get a little preview into Transformers 3!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I adore Chicago and city life in general. The little things you described are huge things that make me want to move to a big city.
    And I love Vincent! Everytime I go to Chicago I stop by to say hello. He truly is a legend!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I wish it was as unique as your city. HA! I do love the vicinity to the beach while having the beauty of the bay within arm's reach too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. So, I'm kind of a crybaby in general.
    But the trailer for the documentary made me cry!
    It sounds like he's a wonderful guy.
    How neat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love DC because there is always something going on, always a festival to attend, to celebrate a culture or an event. And the tourists make me laugh. :)

    And I love Chicago. I was in a wedding in Oak Park last November and during our Sunday of touring I fell in love and I cannot wait to visit again.

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow. Your city just punched my city in the face. haha! I've been to Chicago and loved every minute of it! It seems like it's a hip place to live!

    My city? Well, let's just say I live next to a bunch of cats.

    Love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have always heard that life in Chicago is fast paced but I never knew the beauty in its little oddities. I love that last picture by the way

    ReplyDelete
  36. We have the same kind of guy. His name is Leslie, he's a cross dresser who likes to walk around town in a thong and heels. That's it. He's pretty old too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...