This past Saturday, young men and women began lining up outside of bars as early as 8:00 a.m. in the River North area to grab a few beverages before crowding the river for the annual dyeing. (Drinking at 8:00 a.m. is something I never had, nor ever will, have the desire to do. But more power to the crazies!)
I've lived in my current building for almost four years, and even though I am so close to the river, I spend this day the same way each year:
I go for a run. I shower. I drink my coffee. I step out onto my balcony to snap a few photos. I begin cleaning / laundry / etc. I find a way to leave the city by 3:00 to avoid the drunken idiots.
I sound like a ball of fun, don't I???
Anyway, folks, while everyone else was freezing their asses off, I took this photo and resumed my day:
Oh Chicago, I love you.
How did you spend your St. Patrick's Day weekend???
Lol you sound like me. Totally avoiding the crazies and the crowds but still enjoying snippets!
ReplyDeleteThis is so much fun - love it!!
ReplyDeleteThat is such a cool photo!
ReplyDeleteGreat photo! My day was about the same, but I started my day with Lucky Charms and had corned beef for dinner. So I celebrated a little!
ReplyDeleteI don't do much of anything for St Patricks Day (although I did have Harp instead of my usual Heineken when I went out Saturday - does that count?), but I always loved seeing the bright green river when we lived downtown.
ReplyDeleteLOVE it. They do that in a lot of other cities, but I think the Chicago river tends to look the best in Green :)
ReplyDeleteThat's a pretty great view! I went downtown to watch the river dyeing once, when I was still in my early 20's, and even then it was just way too many annoying drunk people. It's a smart plan to stay away from it :)
ReplyDeleteGreat pic of the river!
ReplyDeleteI'm a big lame-o and took a nap. :)
ReplyDeleteI came to Chicago for St. Patrick's Day last year and we totally did the green river adventure. It was awesome! LOVE your city!!
ReplyDelete~Tiffany
http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com
I was in Chicago this summer for the first time and loved it! Would loved to have seen the river in green. Not a St. Patrick's kind of gal at all- I went shopping instead! ;-)
ReplyDeleteWe spent Saturday trying to avoid the crazies, for sure. We ended up at a Mexican restaurant for dinner, way up in Lincoln Square... And still ended up with a big group of drunks at the next table. Ugh. I do need to go down to see the river one year, though. We've been here for almost six years, and never done it!
ReplyDeleteGreat photo. I'm old and lame now so I avoid the crazies too. Unfortunately, we live across the street from a bar. I used to be one of those people. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteLove that the river is dyed green every year! It's so fun and exciting! :) Glad you had a good weekend! Don't judge but we did start our celebrating at 8:30AM. M and I both love the holiday, but we're also glad that it only happens once a year.
ReplyDeleteI'd love to see the Chicago River turn green!! I'd be like you, though, out of there before all the craziness started.
ReplyDeleteAww! Love the pic from your place! And I think that is how I would spend the day too. Ugh. I went downtown on Saturday and it was NUTSO.
ReplyDeleteI have never been to the parade downtown. I am from the South Side, so I always go to that parade a few blocks from my house. I definitely want to go downtown some year-we shall see!
ReplyDeleteThis is pretty neat looking, but it sounds like you are the smart one!!
ReplyDeleteI would seriously love to see that! We ran on Saturday and then biked on Sunday, and just went our friends' house to hang out. No parties for us!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun tradition! I love festivity like that. :) We went to Tahoe on St. Patrick's Day and it was SO MUCH FUN!
ReplyDeleteI'm so with you...I don't do crowds or super drunk people. I have better ways to spend my time :). Although I would love to go to Chicago once to see the green river on St. Patrick's Day!
ReplyDeleteI would run and hide from the crowds too but what an awesome pic!
ReplyDeleteHOLY cow that's a gorgeous view.
ReplyDeleteHowdy Chicago neighbor! I don't have a view like that but if I walk a few steps down the block I have a decent view of the skyline. :)
You're smart. I won't go anywhere either. Can't deal with the crowds or drunks. I've lived here since 2008 (moved here St. Patrick's Day that year) but I haven't seen the green river since I've lived here. I saw it in 2005 when I came for a visit, once.
HEY! I checked out your Chicago fitness page. I work for Moksha. Thanks for the shoutout! :D If you get their monthly newsletter, guess who sends that out! :)
ReplyDeleteFun stuff! They do the same thing - dye the bay/river green here in Tampa. It's neat to see, but I spent my St Patty's day running a 10k and then we headed south about 30 min to a little beach front resort and had lunch and relaxed all afternoon on the patio. It was a great day :)
ReplyDeleteIt's so pretty! You have the perfect view so there's no need to mix with the crazies :)
ReplyDeleteIt sucks that there are no celebrations in LA. I wish they did something for St. Patrick's.