7.21.2011

Top 5 Thursdays - We All Need a Good Cry.

On Tuesday evening, I saw the final installment of the Harry Potter saga, and it was quite bittersweet.  It was the end of an era (I know that makes it sound all dramatic, but it's really true), and like many of you, I cried.  I was touched deeply, even though I knew how it would end.


And side note.  Neville Longbottom turned out to be quite the looker.  Just sayin'...


It also got me thinking about movies that have moved me deeply.  Movies that, no matter how many times I've seen them, make me cry.  So, I'd like to devote this Thursday's Top 5 List to my...


Top 5 Favorite Tearjerkers


5.) "Gone With the Wind"


gone-with-the-wind


Ever since I was 12 years old, this has been my favorite movie of all time.  I loved everything, from the costumes to the scenery to the sassy Scarlett O'Hara.  But the ending just KILLS me everytime.  She FINALLY knows who she wants and loves, and it's too late...


4.) "Up In the Air"


Up_in_the_Air_2


I suppose this isn't your quintessential romantic movie, but it definitely tugged at my heartstrings quite a bit, as I wept for George Clooney's character, Ryan Bingham, in his quest to find meaning in life - and love.  I wept for everyone who was fired.  It's definitely the most relatable movie of the bunch, because aren't we always searching for something?


3.) "Casablanca"


casablanca


Sacrificing true love for the object of your affections?  Wow.  When Rick says goodbye to Ilsa at the very end, knowing that he will probably never see her again...sigh.  "We'll always have Paris."


2.) "P.S. I Love You"


PS

This movie has been on television a lot lately, and it kills me every.single.time.  To lose the love of your life so early and try and cope with his death is just tragic.  As much as I cannot stand Hillary Swank, I love her vulnerability as she struggles to move on.


1.) "An Affair to Remember"


An Affair to Remember (1957) poster 2

If you have not seen this movie, then you need to go rent it ASAP.  Seriously.  There is an entire scene devoted to this movie in "Sleepless in Seattle", and that's why I originally watched it.  The love affair between Cary Grant (swoon!) and Deborah Kerr is just beautiful, and for tragedy to strike after waiting for the right moment to create a life together is just so painful to watch.  GO SEE IT!


What movies make you cry? Link up and play along!



Photobucket

30 comments:

  1. Pretty sure my top answer here would have to be Remember Me with Robert Pattinson. If you've seen it, you know why. I've seen it 3 times and each time, I've cried BAD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree an Affair to Remember is the biggest....ugh it gets me everytime. My mom and I watch it together at least twice a year! Also I love that we both have up in the air on lists...clearly we are the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I'd need to have City of Angels on my list. And My Sister's Keeper - I read the book before seeing the movie in the theater and I started sobbing about 5 minutes in and couldn't stop. Oh and Time Traveler's Wife. Hell.... I'm lucky I don't cry at funny movies ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The notebook, and Big Fish get me every time.

    I loved up in the air. Made me cry too

    Sadly I haven't seen any of the other movies on your list. Looks like I have some work to do... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I definitely would put PS I Love You in my top 5 tearjerkers too. Also included: My Girl, Steel Magnolias, The Notebook, and Up!

    Also I just linked up! Woot woot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I remember going to see PS I Love You at the theater and you turning to me and saying "While I love you, I hate you for choosing this movie." I was definitely doing to "ugly cry" in that movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! I remember going to see PS I Love You at the theater and you turning to me and saying "While I love you, I hate you for choosing this movie." I was definitely doing to "ugly cry" in that movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I have seen exactly zero of these movies. I love a good cry movie, but haven't seen any of these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Walk To Remember always makes me cry and most recently The Last Song made me cry non-stop. The beginning of Up also makes my eyes fill up with tears.

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. I Love You is one of my faves too! But I dont watch it as often as I'd like, its too sad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVED HP! And, Neville really did turn out to be so cute! :) I love all of those, except Up in the Air which I haven't seen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. P.S. I love you always makes me bawl like a baby! And Up in the Air is SUCH a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love this! i was going to add ps ilove you but you have it!! yes! so i guess I will add stepmom and evita

    ReplyDelete
  14. Neville! His speech in the movie sent me over the edge!

    P.S. I Love you is my #1 go to when I need a good cry. I would also add Step Mom and Steel Magnolias.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I practically sobbed during the HP movie! And I knew everything that was going to happen from the book, but I still cried over everything!!! I was shocked at Neville's much changed appearance...he really is quite a looker now!

    My favorite, favorite part was when Molly Weasley killed Bellatrix. Okay, maybe not my favorite but up there... Neville slaying the serpent was epic. As was Harry coming back to life.

    OMG. SOOOO AMAZING.

    My friend actually just gave me "An Affair to Remember" on DVD! I'm really excited to watch it now! :)

    Great post, great list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A Walk to Remember, Steel Magnolias and Beaches!! Oh...and Stepmom. Pretty much anytime someone dies. I lose it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. An Affair to Remember, ah yes, sniffle fest.
    Steel Magnolias make me break out in the ugly cry. Love Actually, a good kind of cry.

    ReplyDelete
  18. the notebook and titanic make me cry. must much an affair to remember. thanks for sharing. ps neville longbottom is very cute now xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. You had me at GWTW. Favorite movie of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ahhhh PS i love you is SOOOOOO sad.. but so good. LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love GWTW and P.S I love you does get me every single time!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OH Em GEE I have never seen any of these movies. How pathetic is that? I need to Netflix them!

    Have fun in NYC for your anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I swear I cried for the entire first hour of P.S. I Love You...It was brutal!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay, I'm glad I'm not the only one crying when Gone with the Wind is playing...or P.S. I love you. Or, ha, and affir to remember... :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gone with the Wind - love it! One of the best movies of all time. And P.S. I Love You, I cried through the entire movie...so incredibly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have Up in the Air on the DVR. I'll get to it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really want to see Up In The Air - looks so good and glad to hear you liked it! Gone With The Wind is a classic, I just love the movie.

    I'm with you on Hilary Swank and actually, I liked the book much more than the film even though Gerard is hot, lol.

    Have a fun time in NY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE your choices! (even though I haven't seen Up in the Air) I so wish I could have participated! It really frustrates me that I couldn't blog over vacation! :p

    ReplyDelete
  29. PS I love you was one of the sadest movies! I have yet to see Casablanca. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm a new follower, and became one partially because of this list! My all time fav movies are on your top 5...Looking forward to more top 5s!
    xoxo, Al

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...