If you do help us out, be sure to actually vote. You cannot just "like" the video. And, it's VIDEO #9! Here it is if you actually want to watch it! THANK YOU!!!!!!)
A few weeks ago, my dear friend/sorority sister Jill (Hi, Jilly!) asked if I would be interested in volunteering on Monday nights to play bingo with senior citizens. Umm, YES PLEASE. I jumped at the chance (because secretly, there is a 75 year old woman deep inside of me) and have really enjoyed myself ever since. Last week, we were making conversation with the bingo "caller" (who is hilarious) and he asked if I lived in the neighborhood. When I replied that I lived in River North, he said, "You might be the first person I know who actually LIVES in River North." I laughed, because I knew exactly what he meant. River North might be the equivalent of New York's Times Square. It's filled with restaurants, tourists, hotels, and more tourists. My husband and I certainly didn't set out to live here, but an opportunity presented itself and we took advantage. So, I thought it might be fun to take you on a little neighborhood tour. We certainly won't live here forever, so I wanted to document the joys (and pains) of living in River North while I'm still here.
(To be perfectly honest, I REALLY set out in search of food because I hadn't eaten all morning and I really wanted to try this organic cafe, but since I've been kind of a disappointment of a blogger lately, I figured I'd take the camera along.)
So, when I walk out of my front door, I see this:

And this. Let's be real. My husband and I eat more Subway than Jared.

My "driveway" (a.k.a. the parking lot):

My "garage". Don't worry, we aren't allowed to park our own cars.

River North is really known for two things. Hotels and steak houses (Harry Caray's, seen below, totally rocks). Seriously. I am surrounded on all sides by tourists and slabs of meat.

My "neighbor", across the street. A Vietnam veterans memorial.

The underbelly of Michigan Avenue!

The River North "Axis of Evil".

(Seriously. Trying to drive among these three things = sheer disaster. But it has to be done.)
Is your neighborhood known for anything special?
Is your neighborhood known for anything special?
And, I totally didn't forget! The winner of the Stella & Dot giveaway is...
Krystal of "Krystal's Kitsch"!
Congrats, girl! Please send me your contact info: perfectcompilationtape@gmail.com Thank you SO much to everyone who entered. Your support really means a lot. Also, I hit 300 readers, so look for another giveaway soon! Special thanks to Gretchen, our Stella & Dot hostess, for sponsoring the giveaway!
LOVE the photos. Seriously they are gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteMy neighborhood isn't too special, although Matt Dillon comes from my town.
I'm famous. I made it to the blog! Bridgeport is not trendy or full of great restaurants but we're home to White Sox baseball. I love it all year round except for when we host our half of the crosstown classic.
ReplyDeleteSuch a cool neighborhood! I sometimes wish I had been able to live right smack in a large city. Not something I'd have wanted to do forever, but for a few years, for sure. I love hearing about your experiences!
ReplyDeleteRight smack *in the middle*. Need coffee :)
ReplyDeleteI dont remember it being so nice! I vacationed in Chicago for 3 weeks one Summer years ago, but I think I need to go back, because it just looks amazing there!
ReplyDeleteWOW, what an interesting spot to live in! Glad you two took advantage of that!
ReplyDeleteUmm.. I want to live there!!
ReplyDeleteYou took some great photos. I couldn't live in that neighborhood. I would kill the tourists! ;)
ReplyDeleteOkay, it's official. I need to visit Chicago!
ReplyDeleteAhh! Need a roommate? Gorgeous! And, I like the "neighborhood tour" idea... my "'hood" is super boring, but I might steal the idea just for fun, because my blog is so topic-less lately!
ReplyDeleteGood luck to your husband, I'll definitely vote! =]
p.s. Bingo is the bomb diggity.
It's so beautiful! I want to visit really bad!! My parents went a few years back and wouldn't take me :O Can you believe the audacity?! Not letting their 25-year-old daughter tag along? Damn them!! JK ;)
ReplyDeleteSo you don't park your cars? Is it valet? Fancy!!
I live in Hollywood so I totally feel your pain. Everyday I see the double decker tour buses, drive past The Kodac Theater/Hollywood Blvd. where ALL of the tourists go, and deal with the insane traffic. Unfortunately LA doesn't have any public transportation and it's so spread out that walking isn't an option :( So my commute to work can take anywhere from 5-20 mins which can be super annoying. You get used to it though, I guess.
Ashley and I almost died in a taxi...true story!
ReplyDeleteI've never known anyone to live in River North before!! Or in those apartments... so cool!! :) And I LOVE Harry Caray's. My mouth is watering now. I want steak.
ReplyDeleteAnd I miss Chicago :(
Thanks for your ocmment on Running with Sass. Glad it helped! YOu will be back at it before you know it!!!! Good luck :)
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of living in a "downtown" neighborhood. I live in a more residential part of Oakland, but it's less than a ten minute walk to a cute stretch of shops, restaurants, cafes, etc. In fact, yesterday my neighborhood had a street fair! It was lots of fun and I'll try to post pics soon--why don't I have endless time for blogging, it's summer for goodness sake!
ReplyDeleteCongrats to Krystal on those gorgeous earrings!
I am so jealous of where you live, I adore Chicago! And I definitely just voted - tell your hubs good luck for me!
ReplyDeleteYour town looks amazing!!! Like a permanent vacation? :)
ReplyDeleteoh i might love you more-- sr. bingo! i should look into that <3
ReplyDeletewhat a view!!! i LOVE chicago though it's been years since i've gone.
my neighborhood isn't really known for anything but every time i sit on my back porch and see the sun rise over the mountains... it's still breath-taking.
ps. i voted for your husband!!! <3
I cannot WAIT to explore Chicago again in a few weeks!!! We'll be vacationing in South Bend, IN but we're venturing in for Lollapalooza for a day :) Not gonna be enough time to do everything, but the last time I was there it was like -19 degrees. No bueno.
ReplyDeleteAwesome pics!
Gosh I'm jealous of your 'hood!
ReplyDeleteLove the pics! And I love Marina City Towers - my fave buildings in Chicago. Do you live there? :)
ReplyDeleteOkay...seriously I'm coming to Chicago soon. These pics just talked to me...haha! :) Love 'em all!
ReplyDelete