7.13.2011

It's Oh So Quiet.

If you know me well, you know that the word "quiet" is NOT one to define who I am.  I love to laugh.  I love to talk (my husband would say almost TOO much.  We're working on something called "quiet time" at home).  I am constantly on-the-go, and as a result, silence and stillness make me uncomfortable.   I am definitely THAT person - the one that will fill the room with incessant chatter if things get too quiet.  (But that's not always a bad thing.  I totally did that in an interview and still got the job!)


Case in point:  Saturday afternoon.  This is my husband, working on his laptop.  I spent the afternoon reading a book, until things got so quiet that I sat here and took pictures of him, told him ridiculous stories and even did chair push-ups to impress him.  He told me I should go take a nap instead.  Sigh.


IMG_0833

Yet, when everyone asks me how my summer is going...how I'm enjoying this coveted summer vacation...my response has been "quiet".  Last summer, I backpacked through Europe for two weeks, so this summer, at first, seemed to be a bit of a let-down.  No international travel.  Not as many BBQ's and parties.  In my head, everyone was too busy for me.  And quite honestly, I felt a little sad.  

However, when I look back at how I spent the first half of my summer, I see that the time hasn't been spent in vain.  I've wandered my beautiful city (and with two amazing bloggers, by the way).  I've read countless books.  Usually on my balcony.  I've run, and while I'm injured, overall, I'm in the best shape of my life.  I've worked on projects around the apartment.  And of course, I've enjoyed many a night hanging at home with my husband. And maybe some wine.

IMG_0832


While that may seem boring to the average person, let's be honest.  There's a very distinct possibility that our lives won't be "quiet" for long, as we move towards starting a family. Perhaps I should revel in the silence while I can, no?  And my summer, I guess you could say, is a bit of a "late bloomer", in that my excitement is all happening within the next few months. My friends and I are heading to a lake house this weekend for my sister-in-law's bachelorette party.  My husband and I are going to New York City in a few weeks and are celebrating our second wedding anniversary.  My brother is getting married next month.  I'm (supposed) to run a half-marathon.   There's much excitement on the horizon.  And material for better blog posts than this one:)

So, the pity party about my quiet summer is now over.  It's time to be grateful for the stillness and embrace the action that's headed my way.  I know that once the school year starts, I will be aching for the Sunday mornings where I sat on my balcony, sipped my coffee and blogged without worrying about the papers to be graded.  Silence IS golden, I suppose.

Photobucket

24 comments:

  1. *SOME* quiet time is good, but I'd go crazy with too much! Your summer sounds wonderful so far & you have a lot of cool things on the horizon. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes YES, revel in the silence, in reading, in sipping wine, in sleeping in, in spending your days however you like!! It sounds so lovely - enjoy it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the exact same way. Quietness makes me uncomfortable. I always like for something to be going on. But I agree, you should enjoy it because one day you won't have it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My house is always deafening... Either with noise when McK is here, or with silence when she's not!

    If you get too bored, you can always fly to VA and help me finish cleaning out our old house! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post. I love how you can put everything into perspective like that. Things may be quiet now, but it sounds like you have some pretty amazing plans left to carry out this summer! Can't wait to hear about them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm having a quiet summer too and it's driving me crazy!! I talk alot too and silence makes me uncomfortable. Last summer I was in your city with Transformers blasting up the city...this year I'm just working. Oh well...maybe next summer we'll all kick it up a notch!! =)

    Melanie's Randomness

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, Dylan tells me all the time to quiet down. Story of my life. :) I think the quiet times in life are good. We're kind of in the same situation, but I know life won't be like this for long!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a bit of an introvert so I appreciate my quiet time but I also love my LOUD time, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love this post! Although summer is a great time for all the action, it's also a nice opportunity to really recharge and refresh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww- such a great post! I can completely relate in that I spent 6 weeks in France this summer and went through major feel-sorry-for-myself feelings because I wouldn't be globetrotting this summer!

    You have done so many fun things this summer! I can't wait to hear about all of those exciting events coming up :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um, how could you forget that your summer included NKOTBSB - and touching Jonathan Knight!

    We should plan a beach day one weekend when you're not busy - it's better than the Chicago Park District pools.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am THE.WORST.EVER. about awkward silences. I have to fill them. Case in point: driving to a funeral with a friend and we get stopped at a road block checkpoint. My friend is fumbling around trying to find his registration. No one is talking and the cop is just staring. I go off on this total tangent asking the cop why on earth fireworks are not banned in the midst of terrible fires and the worst drought ever in our state. By the time I'm done, he tells my friend not to worry about the registration and that we can go. Ha. Success. :)

    ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is a fine line for me between "quiet time" and feeling bored or cooped up. WIth two small kiddos though, it's hard to justify if its worth that trip to Hobby Lobby just to get out of the house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you're definitely on to something here. Life moves really fast and it can get crazy. We could all probably benefit from sitting back and enjoying the quiet times a little more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha, silence is golden! :) However, I hear you when it comes to being quiet and all...though sometimes some "slower" summer is better than an all time hectic one...making us crazy. :)

    Loved this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I long for quiet time. Summer seems louder than the rest of the year around our house. Enjoy your slow summer...school (and dance) are starting way too soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally feel you on this. I did a lot more traveling last summer and I've been bummer that this one isn't comparing in that department. BUT I have reconnected with two of my best friends that I just started talking to again, so I am grateful for that. I'm trying to focus on the positive :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally agree with you on not loving the quiet. I am definitely not one to stay home...ever. And sometimes I drive myself crazy because of that! Sometimes I wish I could be one of those people who actually enjoys a quiet night at home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds like your "quiet" summer is about to be busting with activity!! Good luck on starting a family!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can totally relate to having a "boring" summer. Two summers ago I was hanging out in Chicago, last summer I was hanging out in Europe, this summer I'm doing classes.
    But I love your point. It's true, now is pretty good, even if it is different maybe than what I would have thought I'd love.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm the exact same way . . . I totally don't do well with silence! "Quiet" is so hard for me, even though I know it's probably good for the soul. Excited to hear about your upcoming adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...