7.06.2011

Top 5 Thursdays - Get Your Read On

Each summer, I set goals for myself.  What do I want to accomplish in the three-ish months I have off of work?  This summer, those goals ranged from eating my weight in fro-yo, to running four half-marathons, to reading ten books.  Right now, I am on book #8.  Even though I clearly need to get a life, I decided to share these books with you, and see if you had any suggestions in return!  So, in no particular order, here are the...


Top 5 Books I've Read Lately


5.) "New York"


New-York-the-Novel


This book is a gazillion pages long, but it's about the creation and development of New York, from the 1600's to the present.  It's historical fiction filled with romance and drama, and if you're anything like me and OBSESSED with this great city, you will love it.


4.) "Running For Women" (still currently reading, but LOVING, thanks to Rachel and Lindsey)


kara-goucher-running-for-women


This book has served as a great reminder of all of the things I should be doing to continue a successful running career.  From stretching to racing to general motivation, it continues to make me more and more excited about being a runner (despite this yet-to-be-diagnosed injury) and has helped me see that I AM a runner.


3.) "Bossypants"


bossypants1


I know I've discussed the brilliant T Fey already, but I cannot get over how much I enjoyed this book.  I absolutely loved reading about the inner-workings of "SNL", the creation of "30 Rock" and her take on being a working mom.   She's smart, she's witty and she doesn't sugar coat the truth.  While I may not be a writer or an actress, I definitely related to her take on marriage and motherhood (at least, what I think my take on being a mother will be).  I couldn't put it down!


2.) "The Help"


the-help


When I read the book, I had NO IDEA it was being turned into a movie!  That being said, I am so excited to see "The Help" on the big screen.  I absolutely LOVED the character of Skeeter (though I'm not totally convinced of Emma Stone's portrayal quite yet), and as cheesy as it sounds, the book made me want to be a better person.  I thought it was an easy read that held my attention the entire time, and it made me question whether I would have been able to grow up in the south during such a turbulent time.




1.)  The "Hunger Games" series


hunger-games_510


Oh. Em. Gee.  I think I finished all three books in four days.  It was AMAZING.  My heart was pounding thirty pages into the first book, and it didn't stop until all three were finished.  Katniss Everdeen is a TOTAL badass, and I am majorly crushing on Peeta Mellark.


What books have you read lately?  Link up and play along!

P.S.  Thanks to everyone who entered the Stella & Dot giveaway!  I'll be compiling the results and announcing the winner early next week!  YEAH!




Photobucket

34 comments:

  1. Totally doing this tomorrow. In the meantime, loved seeing your books! The Help is on my short list. "Read ten books" was one of my summer goals as well--I started off with a bang, but then things got interrupted when I discovered Sons of Anarchy. Fortunately, I'm back on track!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have to finish Hunger Games, I read the first two and haven't picked up the third yet. I also have the Help and Bossypants on my must read list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hunger Games is on my to read list! I am definetely linking up tomorrow morning! I am writing my post now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this list so much! I want to get my hands on that New York book! The Hunger Games is definitely one of my favourite series and Tina Fey is on my to read list. I am currently reading a long way down by Nick Hornsby which is really good and an easy read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I have read a lot of these this summer. Hunger Games, BossyPants, The Help. I loved The Help also and also didn't realize it was going to be a movie until later on. I also wanted to be a better person after reading it. That my favorite book this year so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Hunger Games is pure awesomeness!
    Hoping to get to The Help soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't buy "books" anymore because I have a nook, but I have Kara Goucher's book in my B&N "shopping cart" right now (along with 15 American Girl books for McKayla, but whatever)! :)

    I really want to read The Help and everyone is raving about The Hunger Games! Definitely need to check those out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love this list!! I'm definitely going to have to put New York on my list to read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to read Bossypants! I super duper sparkle hearts love Tina Fey!!! And she coached the Mathletes in Mean Girls so she and I are kindred spirits...or something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you don't take offense that I'm apparently trying to become you (in that I've picked up running, love all the books you've read, and we share a name). :-)

    I started reading Cara Goucher's book. I'm about 20% done with it, but it seems a bit boring so far. Does it get better?

    I love love love The Help and can't wait for the movie, and I adored The Hunger Games. It was so good that it became hard for me to read anything else for a little while because I loved those so much. Have you checked out Matched? It's another YA book that people have likened to THG. I checked it out from the library but haven't read it yet.

    Bossypants is on my list for the summer, too. My parents and sister are renting a condo at the beach starting Saturday, so I have a feeling there will be a few books consumed by me in the next week or so.

    I'm finishing Sarah's Key. Read it? It's pretty good. I don't love love love it, but I liked it. Are you the one who left New York on my blog list a while back? I hadn't heard of it before. Did you like it a lot?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the Hunger Games. I read them all in like a day and a half. I really enjoyed Bossypants and found myself laughing out loud numerous times. I've read a sample of The Help and want to read the rest. The other two are on my list too!!!

    I just finished Divergent. It was a pretty good read too, more along the lines of Hunger Games.

    I'm also working on book 2 of the Game of Thrones series... very good reads but very long. Well worth the money!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really need to read The Help. I've heard such good things about it and now that it's being turned into a movie it's a definite must!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait for "the Help" to be on the big screen. So gonna watch it!! :)

    Will try to read New York and the Bossypants soon...I'm so lazy these days I hardly read. :(((

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loooooved the hunger games! And bossypants is on my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've read The Hunger Games and I am so happy that my husband finally caved in and read the trilogy too!

    I am reading Linger right now, it's about werewolves and then I've got some other young adult novels to read. I am beginning to think I better start reading some adult books. It's bad enough people already think I'm still in my early 20's. I don't need to start acting like a teen with all the teen novels I am reading.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a horrible reader, in that I am lazy and I don't do it. I start books and never finish. Last week I read "Take a Chance on Me" by Jill Mansell and liked it. It was one of those books where you either love or hate certain characters.

    I'm reading "Cather in the Rye" now because somehow I never had to in school. Crazy right? I have like 50 pages left and am totally bored lol.

    I want to read the Hunger Games but i am cheap and checking books out at the library and they aren't there yet. What order do these books come in?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want to read Bossypants so badly! I heard it's really really good! And I've heard so much about The Help! I have to read it before the movie comes out :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVED "The Help" too! It was so, so good! It also made me think about what my life would have been like growing up in the South during that time period and how I would have behaved.

    I really want to read "Bossypants"- I've heard nothing but amazing things about it.

    And I must read "The Hunger Games" books! ASAP apparently!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to read The Hunger Games! My students love them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think we have almost the exact same taste in books! The Help was MAGNIFICENT to say the least. I am DYING to read Bossypants and am just getting started on the Hunger Games! :)

    <3 Belly B

    ReplyDelete
  21. I set a goal for myself to read 3 books the entire year, so I'm impressed with you reading 10 just in the summer. I get easily distracted and find it hard to make it through some books if I'm not that interested. I'm reading one now that I love and should be finished with it this weekend. Surprisingly it was one that I bought on a whim at Target.

    The Hunger Games is a series I'd really like to get into and I've heard all good things about Tina Fey's book.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loving your froyo summer goal! ;) That'd be one of mine too especially since we just recently got a Yogurtland nearby. Enjoy your summer off!

    xo katie elizabeth
    ohheyylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm reading the first Hunger Games book now. And I want to read Tina Feys book so bad.

    I like this entry - I love hearing about new books. : ]

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVED the Hunger Games series!!! Peeta is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i was so excited about this topic and yet i just did mine... 3 days late. oops! hurray that the linky is still up ;) better late than never right?

    i think i'm the only one who hasn't read the Hunger Games... i need to fix that, no?

    i love what books say about us... like claire's-- you can see her passion bleeding through her book choices and yours-- well you'd never see a book about running on my list ;) ha (i love that about you though!)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've been dying to read Bossypants. My boyfriend's mom just gave me "The Help" so I'm really excited to read that too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I definitely need to pick up "Running for Women" because I am needing some motivation right about now. I had a horrible run this morning and couldn't meet the goal I had set out for myself befoe the run. It threw me off and I felt defeated instead of feeling good like I usually do after a run :( I blame it on the hot Texas heat!!! But I think this book would do me some good right now!

    ReplyDelete
  28. p.s. I really want to participate! :) how long do you keep your linky up? Hopefully I'll be able to post my list tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm about 3/4th of the way through Bossypants and am loving it. She's so real and witty. Love Tina Fey!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've been terrible at reading lately, but I definitely want to pick up a copy of Bossypants - it looks like such a fun read! x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ooo I LOVED "The Help"! And all of the other ones look great. I totally have to read Bossypants. And that book about New York.
    I am currently reading "Love in the Time of Cholera" and it is gorgeous. I would totally recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Tina's book is on my list. I'm glad you loved The Hunger Games books. They are so good! I really enjoyed The Help too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. My friend sent me a link to this post and asked "did you write this? LOL" because 1-3 are exactly what I've read lately and I feel exactly the same way! I in no way share your love for running though. I've been told a few times that I "look funny" when I run, and I don't really enjoy doing it outside, unless I'm playing with my kids (when it is okay to look silly) or on a treadmill. But good for you :).

    I must check out "New York" though... although I've never been.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...