4.10.2011

Too Blessed to Be Stressed.

(The post title.  I have no idea where this mantra originates, but I do love it.)


So yeah.  The weekend.  It was amazeballs.  I felt oddly relaxed.  It was as if the stress had just naturally melted away somehow, perhaps while I was sleeping?  You see, while weekends are always a welcome break after a hectic week, I tend to err on the side of productivity (like, everything from the week MUST get done on Saturday) and sometimes find myself overwhelmed, as I try to cram in cleaningandlaundryandrunningandgradinganddinnersandfriendsandfamily.  Crazy, no?  Don't worry.  My husband thinks I am nuts, too. However, I don't know what happened, but something kicked in and I found that I CAN be productive without feeling overwhelmed and enjoy each moment.


Some highlights?


* A lovely dinner with the hubs, my bro and his fiancee, where I may have coerced convinced them that a trip to Vegas was in order.


* A productive Saturday morning.  I actually allowed myself to sleep in (7:30!) and tackle the work-out, laundry and cleaning in between episodes of the Real Housewives at my own pace.


* A lovely little gift in the mail from a dear friend.  Tracy and I were sorority sisters in college, and I am so glad that social media has re-connected us! You should definitely check out her blog HERE.  I guarantee this lady will inspire you with her passion for travel and learning - she inspires me on a daily basis, that's for sure!  Aren't these earrings stunning?  She made them herself!


IMG_0723


* Catching up on blogs!  With the windows open, the sun shining, and a cup of coffee in hand, it was a much-needed few hours of quiet time.  (Speaking of, how long does it take you to catch up on blogs?  Do you have a system???)


* Our monthly dinner club outing to Province!  I was instantly hooked when I first read the description online:


Province is an American restaurant with cuisine inspired by Central and South America and Spain. Located in Chicago’s West Loop, the restaurant has achieved Gold Level LEED certification. Province incorporates green building materials and equipment, farm-to-table cuisine from Executive Chef Randy Zweiban, and a true blending of old world and new world culinary sensibilities. 

The food was amazing!  So fresh and creative.  My favorite part?  SQUASH CUPCAKES!  I know that might sound a bit strange, but they were truly divine.  Throw some honey ice cream with them, and you're set!


IMG_0729


* The Shamrock Shuffle 8K!


I suppose it's a little late to be running a St. Patrick's Day themed race, but for some reason, the Shuffle was pushed back a month this year.  When I woke up to a forecast of 80 degrees and this sunrise, I knew it was going to be a good day!


IMG_0730




I always knew that this was one of Chicago's most popular races, but I had no idea that it is the largest 8K (4.97 miles) in the world!  40,000 people!  It was definitely a HOT one, but I am really proud of my time - 43:24!  And my brother, well, he ShamROCKed the Shamrock Shuffle with a time of 37:10.  UNREAL!


Before I sign off, I wanted to thank everyone who linked up for Top 5 Thursdays.  I'll be honest - I was super nervous about it and thought Neely would be the only one to play along.  So thank you for all of your support.  I would like to do it again this week, but I need a good topic!  Please send suggestions my way, and I will make sure that you get an extra special shout-out!


How was your weekend?  Do tell!

Photobucket

24 comments:

  1. I seriously thought about you yesterday as I peeled myself out of bed. I'm in total awe of you and all other "morning people" who think that sleeping till 7:30 is "sleeping in." ha. I HATE mornings, am such a night owl, and it's really hard for me to even be at work on time (clutching my coffee), much less getting up even earlier to work out, clean, make breakfast, etc.

    I need your secrets! I almost never have super productive Saturdays. I mean, I almost never have a day off, but when I do (yesterday I didn't have to babysit till 5 pm), I don't want to do those mundane tasks that are on my to do list . . . so instead I convince a friend to take a hike with me, have lunch & beers, and then hike back. ha. Fun, but not exactly "productive."

    I will try to link up to Top 5 Thursdays next week!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to always get things done on Saturdays because it seems like Sunday is our big outing day. :) I do get overwhelmed if I stop and think about it though! A squash cupcake? I would try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello earrings! Glad you like them =)

    I wish I had your weekend motivation. This past weekend sounds like my kind of fun-good for you to step back, enjoy your time, and do things for you.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your weekend sounds GREAT!! :) I slept mine away, and I am perfectly happy with that! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Top 5 memories from hs/college/life in general. Top 5 favorite restaurants in your area. Top five favorite scenes from a movie...

    I could go on...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i completely agree with claire :) not a morning person here! i am in need of a weekend that's amazeballs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great weekend! I wish I could accomplish as much as you do on the weekends. You're a rock star! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. so glad you had a such a great weekend. i had a perfect saturday...maybe i'll take the time to post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a great weekend Meghan! Mine was spent mostly working but I did have some fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a good weekend! I love having productive Saturday mornings so the rest of the weekend can be relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 40k people ... whoah baby! Great time girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice article, thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That's a lot of people for a race! I love those earrings, how sweet of her to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun weekend! I wasn't quite as productive though. Cleaning while watching TV is so hard for me. I almost need to listen to music more so I won't sit down and get engaged in TV.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you counted an 8k as part of your relaxing weekend! :)

    My weekend was relaxing as well - it involved lots of sleep and a whole lot of not running!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I need a squash cupcake after my 5K next week! I can't believe how warm it is up there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your weekend sounds amazing! And was that really sleeping in? Haha. ;) And please, send some of your energy over so I get to be as productive as you were!!

    Have a great day!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the amazing finish in the Shamrock Shuffle!

    I too have a thing where I feel like I need to cram every little bit of productive-chore-work on Saturdays. I think it has much to do with Sundays being the only full day my boyfriend and I get to spend together, so I reserve that day to be chore-free.

    Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for upcoming Top 5 Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Add me to the list of peeps totally impressed by your 8k! I WISH I had such zest for exercise haha

    Those earrings are so beautiful. And I totally feel you on the overproductive Saturday thing - I ALWAYS have to have productive days off. Like today is mine, and I've already run out to get my ring cleaned, got coffee, made an appt to meet a seamstress for my wedding dress, checked emails and made breakfast. WHAT IS WRONG WITH US?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I get like that on the weekends too and stress myself out (usually on Saturdays) as if it’s a work day. I think a trip to Vegas would be perfect!

    The earrings your friend made you are very pretty.

    As far as catching up on blogs, I always visit my “regulars” and then visit any new blogs that were kind enough to leave a comment on my blog. The last way of catching up is just going through my dashboard until I find a post that looks good/inspiring.

    Province sounds (and looks) really good.

    That sunrise is stunning and congrats on the 8K!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Shamrock Shuffle= NOT MY BEST FRIEND. LOL! I was almost late catching my bus because I couldn't find a way to the station :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love catching up with your blog. As for one of your first notes... a trip to Vegas is always a good idea! Just got back Sunday and had an absolute blast with my sister. I hope you get to go soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ok, so this has no relevance to your post but I saw your picture in Rome on Dolce Vita's blog and I am planning on going to Rome this summer. I was wondering if there were any suggestions for places to visit in Italy in general? I'll be in Siena mostly for classes during the weekend but I can venture off during the weekend!

    Thanks!
    Sami

    www.savannahsteelmagnolia.blogspot.com

    Also, my study abroad blog for my trip is:
    www.summerinsienaitaly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...