1.07.2010

Thursday Top 5.

I've been blogging for over a year now, and I realized the other day that I've never explained why my blog is titled "The Perfect Compilation Tape". Well, here is the exciting explanation. I can tell y'all are on the edges of your seats :)

It really has nothing to do with me, my love of music or anything "perfect", because Lord knows I am far from it, but it has everything to do with my favorite movie of all time, "High Fidelity". The main character, Rob Gordon (played by the brooding, handsome John Cusack, sigh), associates most of his life-changing events with music. He constantly shares his "Top 5" lists, most of them revolving around music. A few?

* Top 5 Songs to Play on a Monday Morning
* Top 5 Most Memorable Break-Ups
* Top 5 Dream Jobs

And my personal favorite?

* Top 5 Musical Crimes Perpetrated by Stevie Wonder in the 80's and 90's

In addition to divulging his life through lists, he also discusses the art of creating the perfect mix tape - a compilation tape, if you will. His thoughts?

“The making of a great compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem. You gotta kick off with a killer, to grab attention. Then you got to take it up a notch, but you don’t wanna [overdo it], so then you got to cool it off a notch. There are a lot of rules.”

I wish I had some deep, meaningful connection to this movie, this blog title, and my life, but I don't. I just think his definition speaks to a lot of things in life - you've got to try a few things and see how they work out. Life is a process of trial and error, and learning from those errors. I feel ya, Rob Gordon.

The point? The point is this. I want to pay homage to the movie who sparked this whole bloggity blog and create a few lists of my own. So, to kick off the Thursday Top 5 List series, let me hear your...

Top 5 Greatest Vacation Spots.

Kinda perfect for the winter weather, eh? Nothing like a little daydreaming to get us through this dismal January.

While I have a feeling that France and Italy will make the list after this summer (Europe, here I come!), here is my list, starting with #5:

#5 - San Francisco

IMG_2140

This spot would have moved up on the list, had I not been hit by a tour bus, but I love everything about San Fran. I love the hills, the trolleys, the amazing restaurants, and yes, even the fact that it's always cold and foggy in the AM.

#4: Washington, D.C.

Perhaps you don't associate our nation's capital with "vacay", but I sure as hell do, and it's because there is nothing more relaxing than running around all day, taking in all of the history and grandeur that is D.C. I've been many times and have never tired (or NOT felt chills, for that matter), of passing the White House or the Capitol. Did I mention I am a history teacher?!?!?!


DSC01125

#3: Las Vegas


IMG_2248

(This is me, showing everyone the importance of telling time...)

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Vegas. How can you not love Vegas??? I love eating $200 dinners from some of the best chefs in the world, dancing my cute little butt off with girlfriends (or random old men named Jose, true story), and walking home in the wee hours of the morning (sometimes three miles down the strip in fantastic purple BCBG pumps, which, btw, kill your feet later), only to see HUNDREDS of other people doing the same thing. And then spending the daylight hours by the pool or in the spa, only to do it all over again. Ahh.

#2: Holla for NEW YORK!

IMG_1843

I am DYING to return to New York. As in, my love for New York is becoming slightly obnoxious to my husband and friends. It's gotten to the point where I AM INVITING MYSELF ALONG when people take trips to this magical city. I want to know MORE. Now that I've seen the typical tourist spots (see above), I want to experience the dining and nightlife. I want to walk the Brooklyn Bridge and shop in the Village. Please, oh please, someone take me back!

#1 - Napa Valley


IMG_2207

Napa is simply heavenly. From gorgeous, sprawling vineyards to scrumptious meals and amazing wine, I think my three days in Napa just may have been the most relaxing of my life. I actually NAPPED, and for those of you who know me, you know how serious that is.

So, inspire me! What are your top 5 vacation spots??? Help me daydream this winter weather away!

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Yay this is such a good idea, I enjoyed finding out the reason behind the name. My favourite vacation places:
    1. Melbourne
    2. Gold Coast
    3. Sydney
    4. Little towns with a beach
    5. Paris (a girl can dream)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the meaning behind the name! Thanks for sharing!

    My favorite vacation spots:

    1. Italy (fave place ever)
    2. Greece
    3. New York
    4. Caribbean (especially in winter)
    5. Mexico (cheap and convenient)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5. Rivendell
    4. Narnia
    3. Las Vegas
    2. Shreveport, LA
    1. Hogsmeade
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Vegas trip sounds exactly like mine did lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always interesting to see why blogs are named! I love your story behind it.

    And um, HELLO, that picture of you in Vegas is AMAZING.

    I don't think I can put my fave vacation spots in order...but they are:
    *Vegas
    *San Fran
    *Madrid
    *Wales (my best friend's uncle owns a pub there - enough said)
    *Amsterdam

    I'm hoping to add to that list real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for explaining your blog title - it was prefect timing for me considering I am new to your blog. I love your vacation list - I love San Fran, Napa Valley, NY, and all of the places you listed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having lived in DC and going back to vacation there frequently...I wholeheartedly support it's mention as a worth vacay destination!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't really have a bunch of favorite vacation spots, because I've mostly just moved around a lot and not actually traveled. But! I adore D.C. and it was nice to see that someone loves it as well. I've only been once, this past summer but I am dying to go back because I fell head over heels for that city.

    Love your blog BTW! Found it through lovely Megan. :]
    - L

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...