Now, was I in love with the quality of writing? Absolutely not. It's fine. Harry Potter surpasses them stylistically by leaps and bounds. BUT - I was in love with the characters, the ideas. I felt Bella's pain, and I cheered whenever Edward saved her. And in my mind, Edward was everything a man/vampire should be. I also began wondering about the mere existence of vampires and yes, I will admit that the thought crossed my mind - I wondered if it would really be so bad to be damned to immortality like the Cullen family.
I hadn't started reading the books until after the movie premiered, so I have to admit that as much as I hate her, I already had Kristen Stewart in my head as Bella as I read the books. And I tried REALLY hard NOT to look at/read about Robert Pattinson because I wanted to conceptualize Edward for myself. I did, and I have to admit that physically, he exudes Edward. He's perfect. BUT - the EYES. I couldn't help but laugh throughout the entire movie as Edward's expressions were exaggerated, one after the other. He wasn't hot at all! He was awkward. He was crazy. He was the kid in my school that keeps dead birds in his locker. Yes, to me, Edward was a mental patient. And when he spoke - well, I could barely hear him. He mumbled. He wasn't the confident, vampire-slaying Edward that saves the day, time and again. And so, I was left disappointed.
It's true what they say - the movie is never as good as the book. Except Harry Potter. Ugh.
I completely agree. And let me add my $.02 about Kristen Stewart. Although she physically represented Bella very well, she did a horrible job portraying the emotion and passion this story was supposed to portray. Is this her fault? not sure, as she's apparently done very well in other movies. Do we blame the director? Maybe, since this would also help to account for Edward's poor performance.
ReplyDeleteOf course, we could just chalk it up to none of us being 15 year old girls. =)
I am in total opposition to your opinions on Twilight. I thought the book, granted I've only read Twilight itself not the other three, was nearly unbearable. The only thing that kept me going was the lovely vision of RPatz's face and the promise that I would get to see him in the movie once I finished reading "Edward was so beautiful" for the 50,000th time. I am already regretting becoming a fan of Edward on FB. I should have become a fan of RPatz. SIDENOTE: are you aware that there is a second twilight coming out written from Edward's perspective, rather than Bella's? Neat, huh?
ReplyDeletePS - can you link your blog to your FB? I'm trying to keep my internet nerddom all in one place. Thanks!
Edward is HOT. You are all crazy.
ReplyDelete