This past weekend, since every cabin in Michigan (our preferred location) required a week minimum, we found ourselves in Utica, IL near Starved Rock. Unfortunately, it rained most of the weekend, hindering our plans to go hiking, but we made the most of it.
Anyway, in case you wanted a "Cabining for Dummies" guide, well, here are my tips for a successful weekend:
* Find a cabin. My friend Christy loves to reearch available lodging and usually uses "VRBO" (Vacation Rentals By Owner). For this weekend, we needed a cabin that slept 12 people. The nice thing about my friends and family? No one ever argues over rooms - and they all generously gave Mike and I the master bedroom since I'm pregnant:) We also require a cabin that has an awesome deck/patio and preferably a hot tub. (This one didn't have a hot tub, but we've been known to break them in the past...)

* Stock up on games. This is crucial, as weather can be unpredictable. Our games of choice this weekend? Scrabble and Cards Against Humanity. I recommend saving the latter for later in the evening, once everyone has sufficient cocktails in them. It usually brings out some crazy answers:)

* Cabin with the right people. This trip included my husband, my three siblings and their significant others, and four of my girlfriends. Everyone gets along and knows each other well, so it was a pretty comfortable weekend.

Visiting the Illinois River Winery in Utica, IL

My brother Mook, my sister Molly and Mook's lady friend, Emily
* Stock up on good food and booze. We usually make a master list, and one person does all of the food shopping prior to the trip. Then, everyone pays the shopper back. We find this to be an easy solution so four people aren't bringing burgers, etc. Oh, and in case you were wondering - 12 people CAN finish a giant tub of cheese balls in 48 hours.

* Take selfies? I don't really know what to say about this photo, because it doesn't really fit with my advice, but I guess I'll say...don't be afraid to cabin when you're 22 weeks pregnant? Granted, I had a hard time falling asleep with the shenanigans ensuing below me, but I still had a great time! :)
Have you ever been cabining???
I've never been cabining, but you make it sound so fun! Although, selling L on renting a cabin vs nice hotel could be a huge challenge :)
ReplyDeleteGreat advice! My family definitely agrees with the games and booze tips haha. A few of our favorite cabin games are Taboo and Catchphrase. :) Glad you had an awesome time!
ReplyDeleteI haven't! Well I have been but just with family not a massive group like this. Sounds like a great time. Love board games :) Also you're adorable with your baby bump!
ReplyDeletewritingwhimsy.com
I have never been cabining, and you are looking SO cute!
ReplyDeleteI have no clue why you weren't already on my feeds, but I've added both blogs and become a follower of both! Can't wait to keep with with you at both sites! :)
My girlfriends and I went cabin-ing over Memorial Day. It was awesome!!!
ReplyDeleteThat looks like I was SO much fun!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you had fun! I've gone camping and my family did rent a cabin one time when we were at Baxter State park in Maine. I think cabining would be more Mike's thing than camping, so maybe we'll try it sometime!
ReplyDeleteThis looks like a blast. I now want to put together a group of friends and go do this :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun group! Steven and I wanted to rent a cabin for our 5 year anni last Sept and it never happened. Maybe it will this year. This place looks really nice :)
ReplyDeleteMy parents used to take us to a cabin in Michigan (near Pentwater) for a week every summer, and then when we grew up, my brother and I and some of our friends would go on our own. The only other thing I would add is NO SETTING ALARMS IN THE MORNING! Also, if you have dogs, find a dog-friendly cabin and bring them along. Oh, and bring some good beach reads. And sometimes getting there is just as fun ... one year when we were driving all the way to Traverse City, we broke up the drive up by stopping at quite a few breweries on the way.
ReplyDelete