7.10.2013

Juicing His Way to Health

(Note:  I realize that the content of this post is somewhat controversial, and I am certainly NO health expert.  I am just sharing my husband's experiences.)

If we're friends in real life, or on Twitter, then you know that my husband has started juicing.  Several of you had questions about it, so I thought I'd share his journey.

My husband Mike is friends with a few people who have also started juicing for various reasons.  After several conversations with them, and some research on his own, he wanted to experiment with the process.  I had heard of the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead", so we watched it together on Netflix.  To be perfectly honest, it's not without its flaws (I didn't think there was a ton of research), but it raised a few interesting points.

It's no secret that we don't get enough fruits and vegetables ("whole foods") in our diets.  Combine this with the fact that we're over-medicated, overweight and full of processed food, and it's probably not a huge shock to see so many Americans with health issues.   The documentary follows the story of Joe, an overweight Australian who goes on a 30-day juice cleanse.  Along the way, he inspects American eating habits and tries to inspire others around him.   After the 30 days, he lost almost 100 pounds and eventually stopped taking heavy medication for his autoimmune disorder. (Note:  There are TONS of documentaries on healthy eating, juicing and whole foods.  I also found "Forks Over Knives" and "Hungry for Change" to be interesting, though they all kind of say the same thing...)

Now, Mike certainly wasn't looking to follow Joe's drastic footsteps, so he conducted a TON of research (I can't stress this enough.  There is SO MUCH to learn.) on the process and eventually bought a juicer (an Omega VRT 350).  He experimented with several recipes before settling on two different types of juices, and off he went!


Juice 
(Note:  Mason jars make for awesome, airtight juice storage!)

Keep in mind that he did NOT straight up juice for days and days.  Mike basically did a modified 3-4 day cleanse, and then slowly added healthy foods back into his diet.  Now, he usually has a juice for breakfast, a juice for lunch, several mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks and a sensible dinner.  I also think it's important to note that he is very diligent about taking his vitamins as well. After a few days, he noticed the following:

* He sleeps better at night.
* He has a TON of energy.
* The juices DO make him feel very full and satisfied - he hasn't once complained of being hungry.

If you're curious, his main juice recipe is:

Green Juice: kale, spinach, dandelion greens, parsley, cilantro, red/green/yellow peppers, habanero pepper, apple, carrot, sweet potato, ginger


IMG_2490

(A typical juice haul.  You can imagine how fun it is to clean up after him...)

Obviously, there are a lot of veggies in the juice.  As Mike says, "That's the point."  Too many fruits = too much sugar, therefore defeating the purpose.


Additionally, he found that by purchasing mason jars, he is able to make several batches at once and store them without losing the flavor and nutrients.  This allows him to use the juicer only every few days, which makes me happy:)

Overall, this entire process has caused Mike to reevaluate everything he puts into his body.  And again, I can't stress enough how much research (internet + doctor's advice) he has done throughout this process - in fact, he's DOING IT RIGHT NOW.  Ugh:)  I just wanted to share his experiences in case anyone else was curious about juicing.


Do you juice?  Have you juiced?  Any thoughts?

Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. I really liked Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. It's taking me some time to get through Hungry for Change. But I watched Vegucated last night. A different agenda on the part of the filmmaker but interesting nonetheless. Can't wait until Mike starts his own organic garden for all of us to share! I mean that's where this is going, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love juicing and making different combinations. The only annoying part is the clean up no matter what the box of the juicer says its a process in itself! The directions booklet from our juicer says that you shouldn't keep juices for more than 48 hours even if its in the fridge...does Mike do this or has he found a way to keep them lasting longer? I'd love to do a big batch and have it for 2-3 days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think juice is an easy and quick way to get your veggies, but I'm not into it. I find I get more pleasure from eating the veggies and fruits whole, especially this time of year, when my garden is producing all kinds of delicious things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO curious about juicing, but I'm so picky & a texture eater/drinker that I'm not sure if I could do it. I definitely want to do some research on it though. Tell Mike I said he's awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep trying to read as much as I can about this! I want to do it but I want to do it in the way that you said and how Mike has been going about it! That's awesome that he's doing great with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is so fascinating! You have prompted me to give this some more thought for sure. Do you have a recipe you can share?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such grat tips!!!!! Thanks I will be coming back to this post frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We tried to juice... didn't even make it a whole day! I should have known better because I feel hungry if I don't feel like I have actually chewed anything. LOL.. Glad it is working for him!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I juiced exclusively about 5 months ago for 3 weeks. It was difficult, but it was one of the most rewarding experiences I have had! I will be starting a 30 day juice cleanse the week after next! I'm not going to lie, it's one of the hardest things I've ever done! Specially when I was still cooking dinner for my MR., but it was worth all the hard work! I was never hungry, I had the most energy I have ever had, and most of the symptoms of my Hashimoto's disappeared without medicine! I did however chew gum. I had to have something in my mouth! It may have defeated the whole purpose, but it got me through. This time around I got some all natural gum to keep me sane!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy that your husband is taking control of his health, it sounds like he is going about it in a smart way! I've never juiced, but we don't own a juicer so that would pose a bit of an issue haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whatelet a great way to get your vegetables, I for sure do not get all the fruits and veggies I should.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is SO interesting! I am impressed with how many vegetables are in there. Jeez. I wonder if I should start juicing - just because it would be easier to drink all the veggies I want to eat (okay, juicing is a lot of work, lol).

    How long has Mike being doing this? You probably mentioned... ;)

    100 pounds in a month?! No. Way. I have to watch that documentary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i would like to try juicing after the baby comes... while i eat relatively healthy, i could definitely use adding some more vegetables into my diet! and i just love the mason jar storage ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...