Along with the rest of the world, I was shocked. Earlier on Monday, just hours before the bombings, I scoured the internet for updates on two of my favorite runners, Kara Goucher and Shalane Flanagan. When my school day ended, I checked my phone, only to see dozens of texts, tweets and news alerts about the tragedy.
As several of my students sat in my room, finishing essay tests, I felt tears welling up as questions swirled in my head. Why? How? Who? But as the news reports continued to pour in, I realized that there were some incredible stories of heroism and bravery in the midst of this tragedy. People took to social media to help one another locate family and friends. Bostonians offered beds and couches to stranded runners. Runners finished the 26.2 miles and immediately headed to hospitals to donate blood. First responders raced to the scene, and are still tirelessly working to find answers and help those affected. It was simply incredible.
Yet, despite all of this, what happened in Boston is still a tragedy. As of right now, three innocent lives have been lost, and hundreds have sustained horrific injuries. And we have to remember that the lives of the friends and families of these victims will change forever as a result. But I suppose it might help a little to know that there are good people in this world. At least it helps me.
As my ramblings come to a close, I suppose it's easier for me to respond to this event as a fellow runner, but I also think we need to recognize that this involves so much more than running. This could have happened in any city, at any event. However, my heart is broken for those who worked their entire lives for this event, only to have those memories tarnished by this act. And to think of all of the friends and family who selflessly gave up their time to cheer on loved ones - well, I feel chills just thinking about the number of times people have done that for me. Maybe in a few days - a few weeks - we will be able to take something from this tragedy. Maybe not. But regardless, I am going to say many prayers and count my blessings.
(There are so many people who wrote far more eloquent posts. Here is one of my favorites.)