4.15.2013

It's Official.

I am breaking up with NYC.

I know, I know.  You think I'm joking right?  Or, you never thought you'd see the day?  Either way, it's true.  We've had some great times, New York, but it's time to move on.


Source: piccsy.com via Andrea on Pinterest


On Sunday morning, I had this odd moment of clarity as I was drying my hair in the bathroom.  You see, I was getting ready for an 11:00 a.m. brunch (which, in my mind, is entirely too late to eat.  This is why I had breakfast at 6:00 a.m. before a workout), and it hit me.  People in New York eat brunch at, like, 1:00 p.m. (At least, this is my impression...)  This would be EARLY for them.  And then, I was on a roll.  I realized that as much as I love the Big Apple, I could never actually live there for several reasons...

* It's too expensive to rent/buy a home in New York.  Don't get me wrong, I love living in a small space. I could care less about 4 bedroom homes and square footage.  But $2,200/month for 500 square feet?  I call shenanigans.

* People in NYC seem to live by the "Work hard, play harder" philosophy.  While I like to think I work hard, the "play" part leaves me feeling overwhelmed.  I can barely put in a full day of work and a workout before I am utterly exhausted.  But throw happy hours / social outings during the week on top of that?  I'd be a MESS.

* Along those same lines, I am of the "Early to bed, early to rise" school of thought.  I can barely stay awake for the 10:00 news.  If I had to wait until 11:00....sigh.

* New Yorkers seem overly competitive.  I once read that NYC is the place where everyone is trying to reach the top of their field.  Hence, the competition.  Plus, in the field of education, life is a little different.  As a teacher, I would take a major pay cut if I ever tried to find a job in NYC (Yes, I've actually looked into this).

(Note:  I realize that I am making some major generalizations here, and I don't mean to offend anyone.  This is merely based on my conversations with others, what I've read, etc.)

Now don't get me wrong.  I still love the excitement and opportunities that lay within New York.  I love the restaurant scene, I love Central Park and I love the history.  But, as I get older (and clearly more exhausted), I'm looking for a new relationship.

So far, I am "courting" the following cities.  Let's be real - I need a change of pace.

Charleston




Savannah




Denver





Tell me.  Is there a city I should fall in love with?  Which city are you obsessed with?


Photobucket

37 comments:

  1. I have no idea about cities to love, but this post reminds me of all the reasons I decided to never move back to London. I love going as a tourist now and I'm happy with that relationship :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, Savannah. You will love Savannah and the pace/way of life. So laid back and relaxing. Plus, it's super flat so runs are much more enjoyable! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I don't live in NYC and I technically wouldn't mind moving out of NY thanks to the cost of living. The place I moved to would have to have things close by though. I'd go nuts without shops or a mall not too far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being from Upstate Ny I've thought that way for years. Just not my cup of tea. My sister loves it- but we are very different people! I've lived in San Diego (not nearly as expensive as everyone claims) and DC (dream killing city if you ask me) and now Albany, NY. I hear that Austin Texas is great and surprisingly St. Louis is one of the fastest growing younger cities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having worked in NYC for over 10 years I agree with most of the above ( I watch the 10pm news on Fox hee hee). Seriously, the price of an apartment is INSANE for the amount of square footage. Plus, if you spend all your money on rent you have no money to play.

    Right now we live in the boroughs of NYC but we talk all the time about moving somewhere warmer and with a better cost of living. I have heard great things about Charleston!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is sad to hear, but then again, I've never been to NYC, but dream of going one day and of possibly living there. Now, I may reconsider, but I'd still love to visit and enjoy fast-pace for a few days! I, too, am an early to rise, early to bed kind of girl! Savannah is BEAUTIFUL!!! I absolutely love it there! I'm also a big fan of Atlanta, I think it's fast-pace too, but calm at the same time. I really do love it there! I've never been to Denver or Charleston, but I've heard great things! Another dream location of mine would be Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to visit NYC... but NOW? You are speaking my language. Charleston is my FAVORITE place. I have been three times in the last seven years. If we had to move, I'd want to live somewhere like Mount Pleasant, about 20 minutes from Charleston. I LOVE that place! I've been trying to go on a long weekend with Michael, but time off is running out. Now I MUST, since you mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Booooooooossssssssttttttttttooooooooooon. White Sox play the Red Sox in Boston on Labor Day weekend. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to visit NYC, but I don't think I could ever live there. Too overwhelming. Philly, on the other hand, has many of the things I love about NYC, but at a slower pace. But maybe I'm biased since I'm from there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the same feelings about NYC! It is too busy and competitive for me - both in jobs and in looks. DC is really competitive job-wise - everyone is always interested in what you do and where you went to school, but at least fashion-wise, they are only interested in black suits. I don't plan on living here forever either, we'd like to move up to Vermont. You should check out Burlington, it is really cute. I have never been to any of the cities you mentioned but they are all suppose to be really great. Other cities I like are Portland, Minneapolis, Portsmouth, NH, and Charlottesville, VA.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel the same way about New York... It's really fun to visit, but I could never live there. Or really any major city for that matter. And I Lovee that charleston and savannah are at the top of your list.. Two of the best southern cities!!! And I love living in the south, I don't think I could ever leave. So you should probably add athens, ga to that list ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. SHOCKED and appalled! Also I love Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are 3 of my favorite cities as well.. I just don't think I could do NYC either. Boulder is amazing... and not that far from Denver. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I felt very similarly about NYC: good place to visit, but I would never live there for a lot of the same reasons you note.

    However, after living in Manhattan I will always love NYC. Sure, you have to live in a shoebox for an outrageous price, everyone is competitive, and if you have a car it will add 384% more stress in your life.

    But I got to run in Central Park everyday (or Prospect Park if I wanted to ride my bike to Brooklyn), there is a never ending list of awesome things to do and see both in Manhattan and the boroughs (except probably Staten Island which, to this day, baffles me that it's still considered a borough), so much history, and on and on (I could go on forever!). I absolutely loved living there.

    WIth that said, I have a huge love affair with Portland, Missoula, Boulder, and Jackson Hole. All are cool, quirky places that have awesome trail running close by (go figure!).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh Savannah looks so pretty!! I'm currently obsessed with Portland (or anywhere in the Pacific Northwest... if I could move there, I would be the happiest person in the whole world!

    ReplyDelete
  16. No offense taken - haha! NY still and always will have my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The thing about living in NY, is you learn to do it your own way. No one cares if you want to have breakfast before your workout before your 1PM brunch, it's partly lunch anyway. You have all the options -- great restaurants, shopping, culture, interesting people, exciting work -- but you pick and choose your life. I think this is what most people don't understand about living in NY. Yes, it is pricey, but, for me and my hubby, it's worth it. We've lived in Boston (too slow for us) and now in NY together, and until we are old and retired, I just think we are too spoiled by all the NY options to live anywhere else.

    I wish you the best in finding your new dream city, but don't forget that NY will always offer you more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Meghan, I'm INSULTED that DC is not on your list! Now, I have to admit...I thought DC was the most boring place on earth the first time I came here, but you obviously know that I've since fallen in love.

    I hate New York. You already know this. Come to DC, I promise you'll love it! I've never been to Charlotte but it's on my list to visit! I do love Savannah and I'm going to Denver next week for the first time! I'll let you know my thoughts =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha ha, I must admit I never really got your obsession with NYC, I say go for DC or San Francisco:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Of those three, I LOVE Savannah!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know a blogger who just got back from Denver and LOVED it there.

    I am not sure if I told you, but when I was in NYC for work, I didn't love it as much. I want to visit all the time, but if I had to work there, I think it would lose its appeal. Which is probably why I don't care for Chicago too much - that is where I go to work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want to go to Settle BADLY. Probably because I feel like the people of Seattle would totally understand my coffee addiction and coffee snobbery.

    I also adore San Diego. The weather there is AMAZING, there's tons of yummy food and cool things to see... I only spent a few days there but I think I could live there.

    Um and Milwaukee? Okay, people drive like they're insane there. But there's something about that city that I just adore. Maybe it's because I fell in love there?

    I also have to say that the Twin Cities is an awesome place. I feel sad because people never bother to mention it and it is SO underestimated. The art, the food, the sights, the culture. I live close to a pretty amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This made me laugh because I have a friend in NYC who visits every year. Last year I had to make a dinner reservation late (in my opinion) because 8pm was too early. This year when he comes, he said he can meet up for an "early" brunch - as in breakfast. But then he said, but who makes plans to go to breakfast. Um, this girl? Because at 1pm, I'm already thinking about dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  24. NYC is my favorite city to visit. Its just too expensive, too fast and like you said, exhausting.

    Paris is my favorite dream city to live in. But I switch from there to London every few months.

    And I've always been a fan of my Portland, Oregon. And San Francisco, CA.

    But my "dream" place is a small island hut on a quiet beach somewhere. Think Julia Roberts in Eat, Pray, Love, on Bali. Now that's a dream place!

    ReplyDelete
  25. First thought when I read the beginning of this post was "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!" lol
    But then I read the reasons why and I completely agree. I love NYC but you are so right about living there. When I was just there vacationing, it was exhausting, everything moves so fast and it seems like the day flies by!
    I have been to Charleston a million times and I love it! So beautiful. I went to Savannah last year and it was awesome too!
    My dad worked in Denver a few years back and loved it! Said the air was so clean!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can totally get down with what you're saying. I adore Philly and just came to the conclusion/acceptance that it probably will never be the right place for us to actually live. But loving and living are two different stories for me! I still think I could live in Europe though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Come love Austin, TX! A little warm in the summer but super "chill" year round!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love, love, love Charleston! In fact, my hubs and I are heading there later this week!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I vote Savannah. Amazing city. So gorgeous, and laid back. Or you could come to Dallas. I like brunch at 10am ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I don't like nYC for many of the reasons you mentioned. (I had no idea about brunch being so late!) I like to visit there, but living there is just too much for me.

    I think you'd fit in as a southern girl :)

    I would probably move to Portsmouth,NH. It's a nice small town with loads of cool coffee shops & close to my dads side of the family. (& close enough to Boston for day trips) I love New England!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Both Charleston & Savannah are two cities that are on my bucket list to see...and I live in the South! How pathetic, I need to change that!!! And I'm also with you on that whole work hard/play harder mentality. I can barely work 8 hours and workout without crawling around from exhaustion, much less go out all the time. I'd probably have a mental breakdown (I'm old at heart!).

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like to visit big cities but smaller ones are nice too! We've been to Charleston but very briefly, our cruise left from there. I think any of those cities would be beautiful to visit or you could always come to Rochester ;) Not as pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love New Orleans the most, I think. I lived there for four years so I'm also familiar with its downfalls . . . but it's the most charming place in the world. That said, I feel pretty lucky to be in the Bay Area. And I often fantasize about moving to Nashville!

    ReplyDelete
  34. DENVERRRR! It's beautiful and fun and hip and people there love to exercise and be outside. Don't even get me started on the scenery. Folks in Denver are down to earth and value being active and healthy...you in a nutshell! :)

    I'm also quite partial to Phoenix :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh, you can't give up on NYC!!! Nothing compares. Yes, it's expensive, I can't argue with that. Our rent was seriously obscene. But it's so, so worth it. I miss it so!

    I have heard Savannah is wonderful and have some friends there I've been meaning to visit. Probably about the polar opposite of NYC though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh Savannah sounds and looks awesome. I always dreamed of that city. My city I'm obsessed with lately is San Diego (just around the corner from me), Austin, New Orleans, and ha, Chicago. ;)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...