4.10.2013

Meghan Lately.

With another school year quickly coming to a close, I guess you could say I am "quietly content" with life right now.  While I wish that the weather in Chicago would actually resemble that of spring, I've been enjoying the longer daylight hours and less stress lately, and I hope it continues.

Baking:  For some reason, I've been baking a TON lately - and NOT EATING A DAMN THING I BAKE.  Seriously, folks.  My latest attempts?

Nutella Pretzel Brownies


IMG_2259

I couldn't attend the Easter brunch that I made these for since I got sick, but I heard they were a hit.  They were also surprisingly easy to make!

My Levain Bakery-inspired cookies



IMG_2260

You may have already read about my experience at Levain Bakery in NYC.  Well, I found the recipe online, and they were SO close to the original.  I didn't have walnuts at home, but everything else was practically the same.  

Reading:  After hearing so much positive feedback about "Lean In" by Sheryl Sandberg, I knew I had to pick up a copy.  Sandberg is the COO of Facebook, and she weaves her own experiences with data as she tries to explain why more women are graduating from college than men, but still don't hold high-ranking positions in the workplace.  

Y'all.  This book is life changing.


IMG_2261


Running: So, I may have had a little temper tantrum on Twitter about running.  Between cooler temps and loathing long treadmill runs, my motivation levels have significantly decreased.  So, I broke up with running temporarily and decided to focus on Bar Method.  However, I went crawling back this past weekend for the Shamrock Shuffle, which happens to be one of my favorite races here in Chicago.  It was just me, this beautiful sky...and 40,000 people.

IMG_2264

I ran a 47:26, which works out to be a 9:33/mile average.  It is five whole minutes slower than my 2012 time, where I averaged an 8:37 pace.  Honestly, though, I was expecting that.  I ran without my Garmin, and didn't even pay attention to the mile markers.  I just ran, smiling the entire time.  And right now, that's enough for me.

What have you been up to lately?

Photobucket

21 comments:

  1. Those brownies look amazing, how did you not eat any?! And way to go on getting back out and running... and running with a smile on your face too, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm those cookies look AMAZING. I bet they're really good with some ice cream ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO jealous of your bake-a-thon! I've been out of practice... but damn those cookies look GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like brownies. I like Nutella. I like pretzels. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you've been super busy but enjoying life! Good luck with the end of your school year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum - pretzels, nutella and brownies - sounds like a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great race, sometimes it is just fun to get out there and enjoy the run!

    And yummy treats you have been baking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you want to keep baking and mail them to me, I would be okay with that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You bake, but don't eat? That's impossible for me! What a gorgeous Chicago sky. I think I'd like to visit with my hubs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love dipping pretzels in nutella, so the idea of nutella + pretzels + brownies sounds amazing! Also, we ran the Shuffle in almost the exact same time. For me, it was waaay faster than the last 8k I ran two years ago :) It was my first Shuffle, and I would love to run it again! Now I'm eager for warmer (and also dry!) weather, so I can keep my motivation going.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been in more of a baking mood too! It must be spring weather or something. Those brownies look divine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everyone i know is talking about that book!! Now i HAVE to pick it up. Glad you had a great time at the shuffle, regardless of pace - such a fun race!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some of my best runs are the ones where I don't worry about anything except being out there, enjoying my surroundings. I need to do that more often.

    And those brownies? YUM! You put three of my favorite things into my favorite food group (yes, I think dessert is a food group!) YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That book sounds really good! The paragraphy you shared doesn't surprise me. I know a lot of women who seem to think that way.

    Congrats on having great race at Shamrock! It looked like a perfect day to be running in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ahh sounds like you are having a lot of fun, your baking looks so yummy!! and so funny we were feeling content around the same time lol :) :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Feel free to bake some goodies and send them my way any time!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heehee I think your 9:33 time is fast! It's all relative, I guess.

    I think I need to get that book. It sounds incredible, and very important. I wish there was more awareness about these things.

    I do not understand how you could possibly make nutella pretzel brownies and not eat THE ENTIRE PAN. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  18. During this Whole 30, those brownies look AMAZING. What I would give for a big scoop of Nutella.... So sad you didn't get to try one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just ran my FIRST 5K today! And I'm so proud of myself! And I did the same as you, just ENJOYED myself and didn't worry about times, I just ran for the fun of it! EXHILARATING!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Girl, I will taste test any of those treats for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're just a regular ol' domestic goddess, aren't you? ;) Those goodies look amazing! Send some to Texas, yo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...