So, ladies and gents, here is why some might consider me a "Scrooge".
* I have ZERO decorations up. ZERO. My tiny Christmas tree is still sitting in a box, and my ornaments are in storage. And since Christmas is less than ten days away, I don't see a point.
* I have bailed on several holiday parties. I'm usually excellent about RSVP'ing promptly and following through on my commitments. But to be perfectly honest, I've been stressing a lot about getting in all of my grading, etc., and I have decided to make my sanity the number one priority. It's selfish, I realize, but necessary.
* I've done ALL of my shopping online. Actually, I suppose I can consider this one a holiday WIN :)
* My husband and I don't exchange Christmas presents. True story. Some people think we're insane. And boring. We prefer to save that money for travel.
* Speaking of presents, I NEVER want anything. Seriously. When anyone asks, I haven't a clue, so I usually respond with "gift cards". I suppose you get to a point in your life when you really want something, you just go buy it. Besides, I've always been more of an "experiences" person than a "things" person. Anyone else with me???
Source: losexcentricos.tumblr.com via DD on Pinterest
* I don't send out Christmas cards. I did this once, and it was a huge pain in the ass.
Despite the above, I DO love spending time with friends and family. And for me, that's what it's all about.
Are you guilty of the above?

I think it's a great idea to save your money for traveling! Makes since! I can't even remember what I got last year for Christmas! I bet I would remember if I would have went on a vacation instead!
ReplyDeleteBrooke
Hubby and I just do stocking stuffers. Anything we really want we probably bought already, Talking a vacation sounds amazing.
ReplyDeleteCouldn't agree more on x mas cards. Total pain to write them out but I love receiving cards. The people that send year in review letters kill me!
Happy Holidays!
My husband and I don't do presents either, well we bought new wine glasses which we had talked about for ages, finally we found some we both liked (WIN), they were on sale (again WIN) and even better I got another 20% of at that store through my work (again a WIN). We call it our Christmas gift to each other, truth is we would have bought them anyway, and they aren't wrapped and aren't going under the tree, they are all ready in use:)
ReplyDeleteMy Christmas wish list weren't all that good, quite a few books, but to be honest if I don't get them, well then they on there again next year, because I'm way behind on the books I got for my birthday...
I did write my Christmas cards, but only 5 or 6 because I couldn't be bothered to write any more...
In some ways I might be a scrooge too, Merry Christmas:)
Dave and I are the same way with gifts. We usually do one "splurge" aka something we want but won't just run to the store to get and put a chunk of money in our travel fund.
ReplyDeleteI've been encouraging people to give my kids "experiences" as well. Take them to the zoo, out to lunch, even just a trip to McDonalds is much more worthwhile to me than another toy that will get lost/broken/stepped on/forgotten by Valentine's Day.
Maybe for my birthday, I should ask Dave for the experience of going to BlogHer Chicago...! ;)
I think if you're feeling like time with family is the most important thing (which it is) and don't care too much about the decorations, then definitely don't waste your time getting the tree and ornaments out. There's always another year when you're feeling more into it. And Tim and I do exchange gifts, but mostly because I just love picking things out for him. Especially stockings! Maybe you and Mike could do stockings if you're into it at all with little items that you enjoy? That might be fun and get you excited for picking out Christmas stuff? And online shopping is definitely not scrooge-making material. I online shop like a boss (hehe I just said "like a boss").
ReplyDeleteI don't think it makes you a Scrooge - I think that you're being very practical!
ReplyDeleteI challenge you to a Scrooge-off!
ReplyDeleteCracking up re: photoshopped Christmas cards. Do people really do that? Hilarious! I gotta say, I freaking love Christmas cards. I ran out of ours this year :( so I need to order more next year, but I even love writing notes on them and addressing them . . . I basically love everything about Christmas, ha. But you have every right to reject the traditions!
ReplyDeleteOh, I agree! I am not a decoration type of person to begin with. I hate geting nick nacks I have no idea what to do with. I think it is just extra work and stress. Luckily, I do not celebrate Christmas, but I know the stress it puts on people. I feel like I am one hot mess this week with the end of school. I am dreading coming back at this point! I probably should not be commenting and reading, but needed a grading break!
ReplyDeleteCards, man those are expensive, I did them one year and said no thank you every year after.
I hope you and your family have a very happy holiday!
I'm just tired of the crabby people. What is wrong with everyone? My customers have been SO CRABBY lately and it's so frustrating!
ReplyDeleteI could agree to most of this list too - no cards, hardly any decorations, as much online shopping as possible... and I only went to one party (the blogger one I threw at Erin's, *ahem* I missed you!).
ReplyDeleteMost of the things I ask for on wishlists are things I NEED (shoes, towels, pots and pans). I feel like most of us are at a point where we can buy what we want too. It is always nice when someone comes up with something creative for you on their own though ;)
Definitely guilty of most of those! We didn't decorate this year since we are traveling, did some of our shopping online, didn't go to any holiday parties, and we never send Christmas cards. We bought a gift for each other this year instead of separate gifts.
ReplyDeleteI don't think that there is anything wrong with any of those, this time of year is stressful and sometimes you just have to eliminate some of the stress.
I completley failed on Christmas cards this year. I ran short on time, and just decided that people could live without them! Haha. Oh well!
ReplyDeletemy husband and i don't really buy each other gifts either...we just want to save the money. and christmas cards are really a pain in the ass. so i send a very few select ones.
ReplyDeletep.s. i love your new look!
I used to send Christmas cards, and I agree, total pain in the ass! And then I figured, we don't have kids, therefore our cards don't include pictures of kids, and therefore, no one cares about our Christmas card, so why am I sending one? I try to at least send an "e-card" YouTube video, because then at least it's a fun project putting it together.
ReplyDeleteI don't send out cards either! And my husband is like you - he always says, "what do I possibly want/need?" He's also more into experiences than things, so hopefully I did good with his gifts this year! :)
ReplyDeleteYou are a scrooge! Who are you? Just kidding! We didn't get a tree this year, and I'm feeling so exhausted at this point that it's taken a lot of effort to get in the Christmas spirit. I'm literally wearing the crown that I wore to the Ugly Sweater party at work today. Yes, I'm taking extreme measures to get in the spirit. I also don't know how you don't ever want anything....you impress me! I feel like a greedy girl because there's always SOMETHING I'd like ;)
ReplyDeleteI feel ya girl, I almost didn't put my tree or decorations up, I just wasn't feeling festive. But then my sister hounded me about putting up the tree so it's up now lol
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't make you a Scrooge, I much more an experience person too
ReplyDeleteare we twins? I do have a trader joe's wreath up next to my tv, it has 3 small ornaments on it. Other than that i'm not in any christmas kind of spirit. I did send a few christmas cards- just to family... Im just not a fan of the whole fake "be nice to everyone because its christmas" time of year.. Oh and the commercial-ness of this holiday makes me want to barf most days... :)
ReplyDeleteAll of the above! I broke down and got a 2 ft tall (real) tree...and my cat promptly knocked it off the table, sending water everywhere.
ReplyDeleteI'm not a grinch, just not super in to the "extras."
But, MERRY CHRISTMAS!
I have zero decorations up, I don't exchange gifts with my husband and I didn't send out Christmas cards this year even though I bought some. As much as I love having the time off work, I rather see Christmas pass so I can move on with my life. How's that for Scrooge? I was in NYC for Christmas last year and that was my happiest Christmas memory. So from now on (until I have kids), I want to be away for Christmas.
ReplyDeleteWith all that said, I hope you had a great Christmas.
This year totally tested my patience too!!
ReplyDelete