Last weekend, I scoured our apartment, filling bags of winter coats, clothing, shoes, and socks, ready to drop off at Mary's house. My mother also contributed by creating bags and bags of travel-size toiletries, and I also did a little shopping for diapers, baby bottles, hats and gloves. When I dropped off the donations, I was amazed that Mary's front porch was FILLED to the brim with donations JUST FROM THAT DAY ALONE. I'd be lying if I said that it didn't make me feel good to know that I was contributing to a worthy cause.
However, when I look around me, and I see people like Mary driving to the east coast to help, or my parents, who unselfishly help those in need ALL OF THE TIME without ever expecting a thing in return, I feel selfish. I feel like I'm not doing enough. I used to volunteer with Chicago Cares, a local volunteer organization. However, the typical excuses began to take over: "I'm too busy." "Work is crazy right now."
But, I suppose people who are truly selfless MAKE the time, because they're thinking of others, and not themselves, right? Here's hoping to emulate those very people...
So, as of right now, I am signed up for a few volunteer opportunities in December! I'd love to make my volunteerism more of a permanent fixture than something I try to fit in when I have time. However, if you live in the Chicagoland area and have volunteer experiences you'd recommend, please let me know!
And I'm not talking about THIS type of volunteerism (though I wouldn't complain)...
Source: huffingtonpost.com via Jennifer on Pinterest
Do you volunteer regularly? Tell me about it!

I took a class that required me to spend a certain number of hours volunteering. I loved it and stuck with it for about a year but it's been awhile since I've volunteered. I actually kind of miss it.
ReplyDeleteI volunteered for a little over two years at PAWS Tinley Park. I found it rewarding and fun and met some good people. My issue was that I was thrown into a leadership position without being asked which took me away from the things I enjoyed doing there. And driving out there every Sunday night was a pain.
ReplyDeleteI'm on my third year of tutoring at Mercy Home. I love it! It's challenging but fun. The program is set up really well, and they follow the school schedule so you never go during the holidays or the summer. It's rewarding, and it gets better every year.
I volunteered for a little over two years at PAWS Tinley Park. I found it rewarding and fun and met some good people. My issue was that I was thrown into a leadership position without being asked which took me away from the things I enjoyed doing there. And driving out there every Sunday night was a pain.
ReplyDeleteI'm on my third year of tutoring at Mercy Home. I love it! It's challenging but fun. The program is set up really well, and they follow the school schedule so you never go during the holidays or the summer. It's rewarding, and it gets better every year.
I'm glad the drive was a huge success! Congrats to you guys and all who give up their time for others.
ReplyDeleteDad
Hey Meg, I have been volunteering for REAP Food Group here in Madison. REAP plays a large role in connecting local farmers and local organic produce to Madison's amazing locally owned restaurant scene. I recommend that your readers look into volunteering for organizations with missions to help transform our food systems culture (and eat healthier as a nation). I think Slow Food has a big group in Chicago. =) Just throwing this out there.
ReplyDeleteThat is such an inspiring post, Meghan! GO MARY! And go you and all of your friends, family, and strangers who contributed to the cause!
ReplyDeleteI love volunteering as a Big Sister. I found that with other volunteer activities, it was too easy for be to fall back on those excuses of "I'm just too busy this week" or "I'm not feeling up to going today, maybe next time." Being a Big Sister means that I cannot cancel. It's a huge commitment to a person rather than an organization, and that keeps me from getting into bad habits of skipping. Every time I leave my little sister, I am in such a good mood! She is so much fun to be around, and I love that I get to take her out of her stressful home environment for at least a few hours each week :) It also fills me with immense appreciation for all I've been blessed with!
Good luck finding the perfect volunteer organization/opportunity!
You go girl!!!
ReplyDeleteI haven't volunteered in awhile because I am often so emotionally drained from my day job! Not a good excuse but I feel like I give a lot back at my job and help many people so I almost always feel pretty satisfied.
I did, however, purchase some Christmas gifts to donate to my work's Christmas Angel program and it felt AWESOME to think about those lil dudes and gals playing with their new basketballs and wearing their new penguin jammies!!
Although I am definitely not at this level for web design and coding this post may come in handy in the future for what I want to do with some of my websites. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteestetik
That is amazing!
ReplyDeleteI volunteered at Chicago Cares when I lived in Chicago. I plan on going back to them when I move home!
Glad to hear that the drive was so successful! This post is very inspiring! I have volunteered for Chicago Cares also, as well as the Anti Cruelty Society and Junior Achievement. I find that the hardest part is just getting started. So I try to set small volunteer goals, then usually find it much easier to keep on going afterwards! :)
ReplyDelete