One thing that HAS kept me sane is that the weather in Chicago is positively gorgeous. It's been in the 70's and sunny for the past week, making it difficult to stay after school and grade papers. The weather has been ideal for my upcoming half-marathon training (April 1st!), and I've experienced nothing but gorgeous runs along the lakefront.


Training-wise, I think I am in a good place. I have run several half-marathons before, and while my goal is to run a sub-2:00 hour, I've been training smarter, and not necessarily faster. Therefore, my plan is to go out and run with my heart. After April 1st, I have three more half-marathons to train for, so I know the sub-2:00 will come soon enough.
This perfect weather that I speak of was IDEAL for this weekend's St. Patrick's Day celebration. I know that I live in one of the largest cities in the country, but I always tend to forget how CRAZY Chicago gets on St. Patty's Day. Case in point? These people were lined up outside of, in my opinion, one of the worst bars in the city. At 8:30 a.m.

And by 10:00 a.m., the Chicago River was crawling with thousands and thousands of people in green, waiting to get a spot for the famous river dyeing.

(View from my balcony)
This event draws so many people that, since I live on the river, there was a line to get into my own building! So while the drunken idiots and scantily clad women (Seriously. When did this day become Halloween???) guzzled green beer, I happily listened to the sound of bagpipers below as I baked a batch of Guinness brownies for my brother's annual party. That party deserves a post in itself. Sheer debauchery.
Sigh. Life might be a little exhausting but I am quietly content. How are you???
What a fun weekend! That sounds amazing and I'm sure you're going to meet your goal this year. All that hard work will surely pay off. :) That river looks wild.
ReplyDeleteTHAT is your balcony?! Oh girl, I am so jealous. I would kill for your view!! I agree about the clothing choices -- my entire group was dressed pretty conservatively, but whew!
ReplyDeleteKeep Shining,
Meghan
They dye the river green by you?!? That's awesome!!! I celebrated St. Pat's in Fl this year, but was disappointed that there were no bagpipers! That's one of my fave parts of this holiday!
ReplyDeleteSuch a fun weekend, I'm so jealous! I need to be in Chicago next St. Patty's Day, it looks like fun!
ReplyDeleteThose photos are AMAZING!! I love that they dye the river green, how cool!
ReplyDeleteI don't like 70 degree weather right now for running, it made my husband and I crash and burn (literally) during our half on Sunday. Oh well!
What an awesome view you have! I didn't realize the river got dyed that green! Keep up the hard work on running! You'll hit that sub 2 hour for sure!
ReplyDeleteI love my small town. But, at times, I'm jealous of these gorgeous views! LOVE the green river and so over the half-naked women!
ReplyDeleteThe city was extra crazy this year. I haven't seen it that insane since I lived here.
ReplyDeleteI am determined to get to Chicago one year for St. Paddy's!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun weekend! You're doing amazing with your training!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had a wonderful weekend! I want to come see that river dying sometime. How fun! And I think you've got that sub-2 in the bag. Your training is going so so well, and I can't wait to see how well you do! I hope spring break comes fast for you. I know last week was my slowest yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a quick week!
ReplyDeleteYou have such an incredible view! I would love to check out that green river in person someday!
ReplyDeleteHow neat that they dye the river green! Your view is stunning!!
ReplyDeleteThat looks awesome! I always went to the South Side Parade, so I have never been downtown. Got to do the Newport Parade this year. So much fun!
ReplyDeleteAwesome photos! Only a few more days until Spring Break!!
Your view is unbelievable!!! Thats like a picture you'd see in travel guides! Can you please come to Fl and be my running coach???
ReplyDeleteLove that view from your balcony!! You are so good with your training! I need to get back to running and not just working out!
ReplyDeleteOmg last year I showed my students the about.com photo gallery of "how they dye the river green in Chicago" they LOVED IT! I forgot this year! Fiddlesticks :-( btw I knew they dyed it green from the movie the fugitive!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely lovely photos!
ReplyDeleteSaturday was crazy in the southloop an gave me the worst sleep I've had in a while thanks to sirens and drunk people making noise until day break sigh.
Good luck with your half training! You will break that elusive 2:00 barrier :)
You can do it!!! I'm so glad your training is going well and that you get to enjoy a spring break. Why are you only sleeping in until 7, you crazy girl? Also, that picture of the green water is crazy. Glad Chicago does it up for St. Patrick's Day!
ReplyDeleteUmmm I'm slighly jealous of your balcony view! So gorgeous!!!
ReplyDeleteThat is insane! I love how people go super nuts on St. Paddy's day. I mean, what are we really celebrating? Being Irish? Drinking beer? That can happen every day! (Which it does, at my house, hahaha)
ReplyDeleteYour view is super fantastic. Believe it or not, it was colder in Phoenix than Chicago this weekend!!
I love it! Well minus the lines and not being able to get into your own apartment part but I can remember when my uncles lived up there and we would always love coming up and seeing the green river!
ReplyDeleteI've only been to Chicago once. Can't wait to visit again.
ReplyDeleteThe weather has been so lovely here too. Spring sprang early!