3.07.2012

Bits of Bliss

Hello, my dears!  As promised, I wanted to share a more "serious" take on my Blissdom experience.  Words cannot describe how much last weekend meant to me.  In addition to the fun and new faces I met, I got exactly what I wanted out of the experience - a sense of direction and perspective on blogging.  Lately, I've been struggling with so many questions - do I want to change the name?  Am I content with being a "lifestyle" blogger?  Do I want sponsors?  While some of these questions remain unanswered, Blissdom DID give me so much to consider, and I look forward to some changes in the future.


Before I dive into some practical tips I picked up, I have to start with what I learned from the keynote speaker, Jon Acuff.   He shared his own story about how he left corporate America for the social networking universe, and even though his passion was inspiring in itself, he said a few words that I cannot seem to get out of my head.


"Never compare your beginning to someone else's middle."


These words ROCKED my world.  In the blogosphere, this is SO easy to do - to look at the bloggers around you with more followers, bigger sponsors, etc.  Yet, his words really shook me because they were so applicable to my personal life.  It's human nature to compare our lives to others.  From owning a home to having a child, to traveling the world and beyond, I bet I have repeated this line to myself no less than fifty times since I have been home.  My life is just that - MINE.  And I cannot compare mine with anyone else.


IMG_1146
(We all received a free copy of Jon's book.  So far, I am hooked.)


In addition to feeling so inspired personally, I was blessed to learn so much more.  Therefore, I thought I'd share some of the practical tips I picked up during a few sessions.


Cut to the Chase: Learn Why Less is More When it Comes to your Writing (Presented by Amy Graff and Scott Adler


* Headlines.  They should be CLEAR, no more than 5-7 words, and oftentimes, are more attractive when they are formed as a question.  The presenters said that you should think about your post as you would tell it to a friend.  What is the most important part of it?  Use that segment as inspiration for your headline.


* Your post.  Omit qualifiers, such as "rather".  Use active v. passive voice.


* DESCRIBE your experience.  If your "meal was fabulous", tell the readers exactly what you ate!


LIKEABILITY 2.0: Women, Influence and the Social Web (Presented by Stephanie Smirnov)


* The number one thing I took away from this?  That bloggers are successful, powerful women.  We are BRAVE to put our lives out there.  But, it's important to connect with your readers in a way that is open and honest.  What I took from all of this?  You don't have to be a bitch to be outspoken and powerful.  We are a community and it's important to cultivate that among your readers.


* Our community leader, the lovely Fadra, mentioned that when responding to comments, Disqus is an awesome tool to use as opposed to just replying via email.  I'm excited to check this out.  Do you use Disqus?


Expanding Your Brand: Mobile Photography, Microblogging and Social Networking (Jason Hudson and Ryan Marshall)


* The session revolved around Instagram, but I learned about other programs to make photos a bit more clear and crisp.  Have y'all heard of the Camera+ and Adobe Photoshop Express apps?  So far, I love them!

IMG_1165
(Look at this crisp photo of my Gussy Sews products, edited with Camera +)


* As for Instagram, I found it interesting that the presenters mentioned that many people who use the program are "one trick ponies" - meaning, the people with tons of followers usually have a "theme" to their camera roll.  Instagram is just a really avenue to use in order to build a specific brand.


From camera tips to feeling inspired and empowered, I will always be grateful for my Blissdom experience.  We are over 150 million strong, bloggers.  We are brave.  Intelligent.  Strong.  Creative.  Inspired.  Never forget that.


So, what do you think of these tips?  Agree or disagree?  Any others you'd care to share?

Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. These are great tips, and I hope to make it to a conference sometime soon. Sounds like you really took away a lot of wonderful stuff. I especially appreciate "Never compare your beginning to someone else's middle." And you're so right - it applies to every aspect of life. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon Acuff was so inspirational. I laughed, cried and thought long and hard at all he had to say. It was an amazing weekend all together. I am trying hard not to lose every piece of it and put it actually into practice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon Acuff was amazing! I can't wait to read his book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally hate Disquis. It was such a pain, I stopped commenting on blogs that used it.

    I love the part about not being a B to be powerful and outspoken! And honesty is a must!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny because in one of my classes it was mentioned that blogging is on its way out the door... which I scoffed at, found ridiculous and then posted about on our discussion board. I was almost offended by that because I see blogging as something that is growing every single day. And this just shows how important it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What you took away from the experience amazes and inspires me! It makes me want to go next year even more now! I think it's incredible that you were able to learn so much and have such a positive experience and influence from a short/fun-filled weekend. I liked reading your perspective since many other bloggers don't go into to detail about what they got out of it for making you a better blogger/writer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing the tips you learned. I think they are so beneficial - and now I want to read that book too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So interesting! I loved this post and I'd love to hear more about your experience. Concrete tips (like yours about photo editing, writing style, headlines) are SO useful. My biggest blogging weakness, I think, is photography. I pretty much exclusively use my iPhone, I don't have a fancy camera, and I'm really not all that interested in photography. I don't really have any desire for a $1000 camera. And yet, I know that a lot of my pictures are sub-par and that's a turnoff to some people. I'm going to check out camera+ right away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. (just downloaded camera+. THANKS!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the first point. I've been blogging for 4+ years and totally have moments like, I've been around for so long, why don't I have a lot of followers? But I need to get over that. It's not a competition.

    Thanks for sharing your experience!

    I'm off to download the Camera+ app :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tips!

    I need to work on my photos, I do have Photoshop so I should have no excuse! (I'm just lazy I guess!)

    I love that they mentioned to not compare yourself to someone else! It is hard to remember in this world (not even in blogging) but we should all be proud of who we are! We are all unique for a reason!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I loved your session recaps. And I love your blog, take it where your heart desires.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 150 million bloggers that is insane! Wow.
    This sounds like such a good event, thanks for sharing what you learnt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you mentioned Camera+! I like it so much more than Instagram...not sure why, but I just think it's so user friendly and has better editing options!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your lessons!! I would love to go to this! It is inspiring to know that we have a voice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing this!
    Def. alot of great advice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds like such a wonderful experience, glad you got to experience it. I must learn what's so great about instagram these days, I'm seeing it everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How amazing! I must get that book, Quitter! It sounds like it's really good and inspiring. I love the Gussy bag you got!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...