About a week and a half ago, I was experiencing shin pain. While I wanted to chalk it up to shin splints, I have experience with stress fractures, unfortunately, and knew that "localized" pain (meaning, in one spot) is usually indicative of a fracture. With my ankle fracture, it hurt SO badly to run. But with this lingering pain, I ran without pain and even PR'd in the 8K at the Shamrock Shuffle (don't tell my doctor). So, imagine my surprise when I go in for my follow-up appointment after my MRI (the scans which I analyzed myself with my
"The good news is that you do NOT have a fracture. Your bone is not cracked."
So, I was all:
Source: inspirationoooooahhhhh.tumblr.com via Meghan on Pinterest
(YEAH! Life is good. It's filled with smiles and cute babies and I can run! WOOHOO!)
And then she followed up with:
"However, you are having a stress reaction. See these spots? That's fluid in your bones. That's not good. You're basically old. And calcium deficient (What? My lattes don't count???). And you need a bone scan. This could be less of an overuse injury and more of a health problem. It could be a hormonal imbalance (OMG. She's been talking to my husband)."
So, essentially, my doctor is trying to tell me that instead of looking like this:
Source: tumblr.com via Meghan on Pinterest
I look like this:
Source: piccsy.com via Katrine on Pinterest
My original thought? And first question? "I'm sure it will be fine. I can totally run my half-marathon next weekend. And the one in May. And June. And July."
She looked at me like this:
And then, I will run. A lot. Get ready, people. IT'S ON!




:( Have you tried those chocolate calcium chews...and resting??? But I have faith that everything will turn out fine in the end. Just don't overdo it.
ReplyDeleteWow, I am so sorry! Doesn't it SUCK getting old? I'm sure you're going to bounce back just fine! And yes, indulge in froyo. It's a MUST :)
ReplyDeleteRest up, girlfriend. I'm glad you got it checked out... I have had stress fractures and they stink. I have a hunch that they may have reared their ugly head, but sadly, I refuse to go to the dr. because I don't want to know the truth. :(
ReplyDeleteYikes, girl! I second those chocolate calcium chews - they are pretty good and provide a good source of calcium. You'll be back in action in no time, I'm sure!
ReplyDeleteBummer, lady. Hopefully the bone scan provides good news and you can get a plan for recovery. In the meantime, enjoy the spinning classes!
ReplyDeleteAwww, sad. I hope that all goes well with the scan and you start looking younger in your bones! : ) That old lady picture is hilarious!
ReplyDelete:( Sorry Meghan. But as you've recently told me...running will always be there. I know it doesn't help now, since you were totally going to sub-2 in your half, but you will!
ReplyDeleteThat's some bittersweet news right there, but fingers crossed that lots of calcium will come your way and you'll be back to running and running and running again soon :)
ReplyDeleteAwww, no no no :-( Sorry for your hurt bone!! BUT give yourself some rest, some calcium, and you WILL be back better than ever, I'm sure of it :-) Good vibes being sent to you, Meghan!
ReplyDeleteAwww such a bummer...sorry girl :(
ReplyDeletewow, i have heard a LOT of people having these stress reactions lately. If your bones are old, i think a lot of us are right there with you! I think i am going to go drink some milk....
ReplyDeleteI have recently increased my calcium intake (because I am growing a baby) and I have found that chocolate milk is amazing and chia seeds have a TON of calcium. Good luck!! Hope the running resumes with stronger bones and less fluid. I am out of the running (haha - I made a joke) until the baby arrives (Sept.) and then I will be running my stomach off!
ReplyDeleteThat somee card is amazeballs! You are gonna get all better I just know it!
ReplyDeleteawww my love :( sorry to hear but if it makes you feel better your pictures cracked me up ;) xoxo
ReplyDeleteHope it turns out ok! I have been taking vitamin suplements forever. Seems like every doctor trip is "need more iron, calcium, etc". I think Coral Calcium may be processed better than other types. At least that is what the peeps at GNC told me. Which reminds me, I need to stock up! Rest up:)
ReplyDeleteMore fro yo is an upside to this! Hope you are good as new in 6 weeks and pain free!
ReplyDeleteGahhh, that sucks girl. Lattes should totally count. Did she say anything about adding Vitamin D and Calcium supplements? We have a lot of patient who take them, and it seems to really help!
ReplyDeleteWhat a flippin' bummer!
ReplyDeleteHowever, more fro yo is a total silver lining, right?
Awesome! Run smart run whenever you want! That's my motto. Know your body, listen, and follow suit ;-D Glad to see you're on the road to running!
ReplyDeleteSh*t! I'm not sure which would be a better diagnosis- stress fracture or what you have... Keep cycling and xtraining and I promise you will return stronger than you are now. (I speak from experience :(
ReplyDeletedon't forget about vitamin D because I've read a lot that it helps you absorb the calcium. If your D deficient it won't matter how much calcium you take because it can't be absorbed fully.
Sending good healing vibes to your shin for a speedy recovery!
That sucks, but enjoy your fro yo and get stronger so you can come back with a bang! :)
ReplyDeleteI hope you enjoy swimming and spinning!!
I always wondering what the difference between a stress fracture and reaction was. I have had a few stress fractures. They actually gave me some calcium spray to take when I had mine. Did they offer anything like that? I hope you have a speedy recovery!
ReplyDeleteAww I'm so sorry, Megan!! But I have to admit- I SO enjoyed reading your humorous take of the situation! I have literally been laughing out loud as I've read this post. Love your positive and optimistic attitude!! Enjoy your time swimming and spinning & getting in LOTS of fro-yo!
ReplyDeleteBoo to diagnosis old lady bones!
ReplyDeleteNo really, I'm sorry this is going on. But at least you have an answer and a diagnosis means a treatment plan. So there's that. Plus froyo.
Sending *hugs* from Texas!
This is no fun...and it sucks getting old, but take of yourself!!!
ReplyDeleteYikes! Scary! Take it easy and enjoy those geriatric exercises :) Hope you feel 100% soon!
ReplyDeleteI hope you can get back to running asap! Take care of this the right way, so that you CAN keep running! Positive thoughts <3
ReplyDeleteEkkk! I hope the scan comes back and says you've added enough calcium soon!
ReplyDeleteAwww, so sorry you're dealing with this!! :( Fingers crossed that you can run again soon!
ReplyDelete