3.25.2010

Top 5 Thursday - Music and the Movies

Yesterday, two things happened that made me think about great movie soundtracks.

* As my hubby and I were doing a little spring cleaning, the song "Mad World" by Gary Jules came on Pandora, and hubby got all excited about it - he hadn't heard the song in a long time and it totally reminded him of the movie "Donnie Darko". Personally, the only thing that reminds me of "Donnie Darko" is the creepy rabbit...

* As we were driving out to my parents' house, we heard Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Fortunate Son" and I instantly thought of "Forrest Gump" and the scenes in Vietnam.

And so, another top 5 list was born. Naturally.

The Top 5 Songs That Remind You of a Movie

P.S. This was a REALLY hard list to narrow down - so please comment and add your own!

5.) Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" from "Say Anything" - 1989

Now technically, this song is not on the original soundtrack, but who can forget John Cusack in all of his trench coat / boom box / Lloyd Dobler glory???

And P.S. - did anyone catch the "Modern Family" episode where Dylan re-created this scene???



4.) The Knack's "My Sharona" from "Reality Bites" - 1994

Oh, the days when Winona Ryder was likable, wholesome, and felony-free. Tell me I am not the only one who re-creates the dance everytime I hear this song...




3.) Kenny Loggins' "Footloose" from, well, "Footloose" - 1984

I don't care how old it is - I still get up and re-create this scene with my friends at weddings (Hi, friends). Oh, and then when they slow dance to "Almost Paradise"...SIGH.




2.) Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" from "Almost Famous" - 2000

This scene is simply priceless. It gives me chills every single time I watch it.

"I have to go home."

"You are home."



1.) Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" from "Wayne's World" - 1992

This one is just timeless. We all head-banged during the guitar riff and emulated Wayne and Garth's facial expressions at all of the right times. Right? Right???



What songs reminds YOU of the movies???

Photobucket

26 comments:

  1. Pretty Woman, Pretty Woman (that's kind of like Footloose, Footloose)

    Take My Breath Away, Topgun

    Claire de Lune, Atonement

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Notorious" by Duran Duran from Donnie Darko I'm beginning to doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

    "Hypnotize" Notorious B.I.G from 10 things I hate about you I I always associate the two.

    "#1 Crush"/"Young Hearts Run Free"; Garbage and Kim Myzelle respectively from William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliette I love a good ol' drag sing along

    "Don't You (Forget about me)" Simple Minds from The Breakfast Club duh.

    "Stuck in the Middle with You" from Steelers Wheel. Who doesn't think about having an ear cut off to that song?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh what about Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds on The Breakfast Club. That songs takes me straight back to that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally with Elizabeth on the Pretty Woman and Top Gun references and also agree with your Almost Famous and Wayne's World memories...

    Must also mention Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On." Not because I love my fellow Canuck or her song, but it does remind me of Titanic.

    There is also the song from Rocky -Is it "Eye of the Tiger" (I think so.)

    Oh and the biggest tear jerker of them all "Wind Beaneth My Wings" from Beaches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh Wayne's World!! Yea I can't hear Bohemian Rhapsody without thinking of that movie!!

    Um..hmmm...definitely Twist & Shout by the Beatles reminds me of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

    And The Farrely brothers song from Ghost. I always think of Ghost when I hear that song!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. um, "the time of my life" from dirty dancing. rip patrick swazy. i loved all of your picks. that would be my only add.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of the above! Footloose is one of my favorite movies of all time. It never gets old! And that definitely has got to be my favorite scene from Wayne's World.

    That version of Mad World always reminds me of Donnie Darko also. Along with Head Over Heels by Tears for Fears and Killing Moon by Echo & the Bunnymen. That is such an amazing soundtrack!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The whole of my sixth form learnt the dance for footloose and we did it at prom all 86 of us! It was so fantastic so that song is special for me :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honey your list is great....I enjoyed a couple that I have not heard in a long while..
    Boston...you got to go to Boston...I have always wanted to visit that city..my daughter flies there on business trips and I told her one of these days I going with her....awesome...love everything you did and I am fascinated with old gravestones...weird I guess but I am like you its amazing their still standing...I had no clue about the bone thing...gross..and sad too...
    Hope your having a good day...I did not get to go back out to Warrenton today as I thought so I mowed and mowed and mowed...hahaha
    Taking a drink break now
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I once saw the Bacon Brothers Band perform, and they sung Footloose and the crowd went nuts! It was awesome.

    I totally agree with My Sharona. I would have to add to the list "My Heart Will go On" for Titanic (even though I am not particularly fond of that movie). And every time I hear "The Way You Look Tonight" by Tony Bennett, I think of the end of My Best Friend's Wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. freaking LOVE this post. i agree with 4 out of 5 (never got into reality bites).

    other songs that remind me of movies:

    cyndi lauper's "time after time" - romy and michelle's high school reunion

    mickey & sylvia's "love is strange" and "hungry eyes" - dirty dancing

    "dancing in heaven" - girls just want to have fun

    the beatle's "can't buy me love" - can't buy me love

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Wedding Singer! I love that movie and the soundtrack. Also, Garden State. Hands down, one of the best soundtracks.

    I did see that Modern Family episode. So funny! I'm glad someone caught it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. first of all, "mad world" comes on my pandora ALL THE TIME! hahahaha. and i love footloose sooo bad.

    second of all, sista, do you realize you just asked ME to EAT?! shit yeah i'll eat cupcakes. within a ten blog radius from my school there is: a magnolia bakery, a buttercup bakeshop, a crumbs bakeshop, on sundays the street sweets truck, and a few blocks outside of the ten block radius is this rad vegan place called kyotofu. take yr pick.

    except... {please don't hate me please don't hate me} i may or may not be doing a post in the next few days claiming that donuts are the new cupcakes. so, i don't know, maybe we could start a friendly war/debate about it? that could get hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is great. My hubs and I talk about this all the time. Every time the radio is on one of us will ask what movie?

    I am bad with the names of songs though, but one I still hear all the time was the song from "Cruel Intentions"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, how I loved Footloose back in the day. And that scene from Reality Bites.

    This made me think of Danger Zone from Top Gun too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm having a total brain fart! The only one I can think of is "Don't wanna miss a thing" from the movie Armageddon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. fab post! thanks for sharing x

    Missy
    For everything about fashion:
    http://thefashionfusion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Meghan, these were PERFECT picks!!! i can't think of Reality Bites without thinking of that gas station scene. I LOVE that movie!!!

    "Time of My Life" - Dirty Dancing

    Can't Buy Me Love was a good one!

    dang, i was going to say Top Gun too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing list, I wanna see all this movies again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. YES. And yes.

    I love this post and the comments. Definitely Wind Beneath My Wings from Beaches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. As mentioned last night at dinner, the first four:

    #1 State of Love and Trust, Pearl Jam - Singles

    #2 There She Goes, The La's - So I Married and Axe Murderer

    #3 Eye of the Tiger, Survivor - Rocky

    #4 Dangerzone, Kenny Loggins - Top Gun

    and finally unveiling

    #5 Island in the Sun, Weezer - Out Cold

    ReplyDelete
  22. I now have to go watch all of these movies!! Great selections! Thankfully I'm one down and 4 to go - We watched Wayne's World the other night. I thank that movie for my love of Queen. Until that scene I had never paid attention or knew who Queen was. Thank you Mike Meyers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. "Say Anything."

    "Newspaper."

    Thank you, Modern Family, for making me feel old.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Definitely "I Had The Time of My Life" in Dirty Dancing, "Lost that Loving Feeling" in Top Gun, and all of the soaring soundtracks like Troy and Gladiator. Great post love!

    ReplyDelete
  25. this post is awesome! we had our footloose moment a!t our wedding where all the guys were on one side and all the girls on the other then a couple would go down and dance in the middle!
    also loved reality bites and say anything! i love creating moments to these!

    hold me closer tiny dancer!
    xo
    brandi
    http://muchomuchobuenobueno.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. great, perfect, awesome list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...