3.26.2010

The Postage Stamp of Love.

Since I've been on spring break this week, I've had plenty of time to FINALLY get our little "postage stamp of love" in order. In July, the hubs and I moved into a condo in this building:

IMG_0081

(Photo taken with my iPhone. It also styles my hair, applies my make-up and works out for me.)

The buildings opened in 1962, and while vintage is certainly making a comeback, we needed to put our own spin on the place and update the decor. After several days of stripping wallpaper (which is super gross, btw - I hate all of the peeling!) and painting (where I hired someone to take my place after one day) - and several months of shopping around for the right decor, our home is finally livable.

So, join me on this virtual blogosphere tour. While there are no 360 views on this tour, please know that this is a big step for me. I am showing you my home. I feel like you've just seen me in my pajamas with no make-up.

First up, the living room. Since the unit is wedge-shaped, we have a very long, awkward wall. After painting it "asparagus" (which I love, but is a bit brighter than I would have preferred), we've started filling it with these little treasures:

bloga

This print is from IKEA. It's random and bold and open to so many interpretations. I love to ask my friends what they see when they look at it. They usually look at me and ask, "Where's the wine?"

blogb

This is our "ode to Chicago". The top left photo is from Etsy seller HolgaJen. My hubby took the bottom left photo, and I am embarrassed to say that I am not sure where the other two come from. I'll have to ask the hubs. It sits above our wine cabinet, my most prized possession:)

bloga_1

This is the living room. Perhaps you noticed the entire mirror wall in the background. We toyed with a lot of different ideas as to how to cover it, and we finally settled on the bookshelves. I am a gigantic book nerd, so this was a perfect way to store all of the books AND cover the disco wall, as I affectionately call it:)

blogc_1

Here is a close-up. Isn't that owl print so adorable? You may also notice some Harry Potter. Don't be a hater.

bloge_1

Our couch. We agonized over this purchase FOREVER. We were all set to buy one from Crate & Barrel until we found this gem at IKEA. It also contains hidden storage (it's where our vampire friends sleep) and a pull-out foot rest.

Sorry for the glare in the back - that's our balcony. As you can see, we get excellent natural light.

blogd

This is our kitchen. The cabinets are not exactly our style (but not horrible!), so we decided to try and distract from them by filling the countertops with hubby's prized possessions, such as the KitchenAid mixer and indoor grill. He cooks, I polish the stainless steel:)

blogh

The lighting is a little off, but these prints are hanging in our bedroom, above my desk. The top left photo actually came with the frame and we loved it so much that we decided to keep it. And the bottom right? I TOOK IT! Huzzah! The other two I bought so long ago that I don't remember:(

blogj

And before you make a crack about this being the place where the magic happens, just know that the bedding is Pottery Barn, the pillows are Target, and the print is once again IKEA.


So yeah. That's our little love nest. We like it. We hope that it's warm and inviting when friends and family come visit. Thanks for joining me!


Photobucket

32 comments:

  1. It's adorable!

    I love that building, by the way. As I love that green color in your walls!

    Also, I can't wait to read my daughter Harry Potter. ;-)

    What a lovely little home you have for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it all! I like how you covered up the disco wall, but still have parts peaking through. And I love the groups of framed pictures - I wouldn't have thought to have them touching and I really like how it looks!

    You're just the cutest.

    Happy weekend, lover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that bookshelf a lot :) a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the building you live in, it's so unique looking. And thanks for showing us around your place. If my apartment wasn't such crap I'd totally show people around. So can't wait to move!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Do you live right in downtown Chicago?

    Your house looks fabulous! I have a similar IKEA print above our bed too. Btw, I'm amazed that your husband has a KitchenAid mixer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, what a wonderful place!!
    thanks for the virtual tour.
    bookshelf is fab..and so is the little kitchenaid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I love the bookshelf over the mirror. And the groupings of pictures. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! I'll take everything in your kitchen please :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such a gorgeous home! I love the way that you have put your photos together and the wine bottle print from Ikea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely adore your home! The building ROCKS. But the inside is just beautiful! I love all the art work.

    Im a little amused about the disco wall... why would someone build that ?!? oh the olden days :)

    I love that Ikea has brilliant prints that you would expect to get in really ritzy art stores.

    I kinda see wine bottles in the entry hall art. But then i see coffee mugs. But then the colours and design are a little traditional, like aboriginal paintings. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. gosh so pretty! so jealous. I use to live by that parking garage/condos! haha but unfortunately i had to move back to michigan when my then bf told me he was peacing out bc of dexter. boys... but i'm there all the time in the summer and can't wait to take dexter to the Lincoln park zoo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your house! Can you come to CA and decorate ours?:-) My hubby wants that exact bookshelf that you have for your entertainment stand/bookshelf. Is it from IKEA?

    ReplyDelete
  13. You live in the "corn cob" buildings! That's what I used to call those when I was a kid. Loving that green paint color! Nice to have a cheerful wall color!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely home!!! I love the way you group the pictures together and so close together! And I love that owl print!

    The book shelves are a great way to hide that mirror! The only other thing I can truly think of would be hanging curtains but those things are expensive! The bookcase rocks!

    PRETTY PRETTY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found you through "Chateau des Fleurs"... Your home is very cute, interesting and comfy-looking - all at the same time. As an artist myself, I like your choice of colors. Greens and brows can be difficult to rock in interior's, but you've done it so well.

    Thanks for letting us take a peek!
    Cheek kisses from Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have filled it with such great artwork! I can only hope my first apartment with my boyfriend (moving this fall!) will look half as good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have some pictures from Ikea too. WOW, you did a great job. Love it all!! Very cool!
    Thanks for your visit at my blog, it's always a pleasure to read you.
    love
    Frenchy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that building! We always called them the corn cob buildings when I was growing up.

    you did a great job with your new place! I especially like the color in the living room. so bold, so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everything is looking amazing and that building is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh you're space is just beautiful! I love it! what a gorgeous little spot!

    thank you so much for all your blog love on my blog, honestly you are amazing and make me smile so much

    love tillie xox

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my golly - you place is adorable. When can I come over? I mean it. I'm only 3 hours (or so) away.
    I saw that piece at Ikea and I fell in love with it. SO jealous you have it. Awesome taste! And that book shelf, oh the bookshelf. I'm so jealous. It's so pretty. One day I dream of having on just like it.

    ps- vampire friend, eh? HaHa. You're adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  22. such a cute pad! i love the building it's in. super city life. you go girl!

    hope you had a good weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. O I LOVE YOUR PLACE!!! You asparagus walls!! The wall of bookshelves behind the TV!!! The beautiful prints and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  24. beautiful home for a beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your house is sweet! Your framed picture collection is my inspiration for my new house - I am so going to do that!!

    ps: I love the disco wall, from what I can see of it. How could you bear to cover up that beauty?!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your little love nest! thank you for the tour because i just love checking out people's decor- says a lot about them :) and your art! LOVE! i am going to have to remember how you pair frames right overlapping- GENIUS!!!

    i have been wanting one of those prints like you have of chicago but they don't make one for any of my texas cities! sad.

    can you believe i have never been to an IKEA *gasp* they never have one close to me but i just KNOW i would spend an insane amount :)

    you use pops of color BRILLIANTLY Meghan. I have a thing for mirrors too and i love that you have a wall of it that you can still see peeking through the bookshelves. (i heart a girl who loves books)

    i SO wish i could paint our walls... i would have chalkboard bedroom door and a red wall somewhere.

    LOVE the tour :) i should do one soon. thanks for the inspiration xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. you look adorable in your green coat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your place, especially the green and how you've hung your frames! Amazing :) Is that the Holgajen priont with your building in? It looks great!

    Our house is never clean enough to do a post like this lol

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your pad! And your couch! Fingers crossed I get lucky like that! I'm heading to IKEA to buy a couch this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  30. ahhh such fun buildings - im in chicago for work every once in a while and we're always right next to those! love your artwork selections

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...