(Do you think Mike will wear this? Because I don't…)
* It's no secret that I love New York. And despite the fact that I don't think I'll be able to train properly for a marathon this year, given the whole "working mama" thing, I still thought it was smart to enter the NYC Marathon lotterty. Because, I mean, it's on my bucket-list, and IT'S NEW YORK. I figured that if I actually got in (and the chances were slim), we'd figure it out. Right? RIGHT?
Anywho, on March 26th, the day of the lottery drawing, I played it cool. I occasionally checked my email and my credit card statement online to see if I had been charged the marathon entry. I went for a run that afternoon, and from 2:00-on, I was straight-up obsessive over checking for any indication that I had been selected. After discussing it with Rachel via Twitter, I realized that…I HADN'T ENTERED IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Sigh.
* On my way to the Shamrock Shuffle a few weekends ago, I walked into a stop sign. Why? (I can't believe I am going to admit this…) I thought my new "mom boobs" looked pretty great in my running jacket and I wanted to check them out in the window. ***hangs head in shame***
* One of the potential side effects of pregnancy/childbirth that no one discusses is incontinence. I was lucky that it wasn't a problem for me at all. But all of a sudden, four months after childbirth, I find myself almost wetting my pants when I run. Granted, it's only happened twice, but still.
(Follow-up: Somehow, I got into a conversation with this adorable Asian nurse about it, and she basically called me "old" and said I should get this problem checked out.)
(Running may not necessarily be the easiest part of my day, but it is the quietest!)
* I'm pretty lucky that I've been able to get in a few long runs for my half-marathon in three weeks. But with a baby, there's no such thing as one long run. It's more like "a bunch of back-to-back smaller runs". Case in point? Last Saturday. I ran 1.2 miles with Layla outside, 2 miles on the treadmill, and 4.2 miles outside solo.
So, there you have it. My running-related #casualtiesofmotherhood (yes, I am trying to make this hashtag a "thing").
Do you have any similar stories??? Please tell me I'm not alone, because this shit is embarrassing.
I have been lucky enough to not have to deal with incontinence yet, but I haven't really pushed myself too hard yet in the running department so that might be a factor.
ReplyDeleteMy pal Amanda Too Tall Fritz did blog about this very topic though: http://tootallfritz.com/tag/exercise-induced-urinary-incontinence/
Life being a mom is completely crazy. I opened the car door on my head and my undergarments are mostly covered in puke as I haven't had time to wash them. Speaking of, the washer still has clothes in it from last weekend that need to be re-washed. Oh the casualties of motherhood!
You're right! Nobody talks about this stuff! I remember coming home from the hospital and wanting/needing to sit on a donut I was so sore. It's all about the baby at that point and poor mama's going thru sheer hell. Funny about NYC. Maybe Chitown....
ReplyDeletethis is hilarious and honest, definitely seems like a good book idea ;)
ReplyDeleteI don't run at all, so you running while you were pregnant and now working with a baby, well I'm not sure what my excuse is! I am hoping to develop healthier habits though although I'm not sure running will be one of the, a few of my body parts I can't change aren't the best for it seems :/ but I did do a jazzercise class that just ended and want to try to find something else now since my instructor moved away...
You are far from alone! I didn't realize the incontinence was an issue until I started running, but yeah.. it's normal. No matter how many keels I do, it still happens sometimes.
ReplyDeleteMy long runs are often broken up like yours too.. at least we're trying :)
Haha you're not making me want to have a baby Meghan!
ReplyDeleteI'm dying! I didn't have the incontinence problem, but I did notice more 'pressure' when running (I know, totally TMI) but after you bare all to have a baby is anything really too much information? Anyway, I think I lost brain cells having a baby that I'll never get back... it's totally crazy... and sad. I was crossing my fingers for ya on the NY marathon (I LOVE NY!) what a bummer about how it worked out :(. You are totally rocking the mom thing, girl! You so got it ;)
ReplyDeleteI thought I saw on instagram that you got in the race?
ReplyDelete