4.16.2014

Am I Delusional?

Hi folks!  Since most of my posts are all things baby, I thought I'd share some running updates with you - and why I am possibly delusional:)  (Although, speaking of the baby, she is currently shrieking away in her crib at 6:20 a.m., so I better go get her - though it's cute to listen to her "find her voice"!)

You see, here's my dilemma.  I thought I had a plan for the summer - run a few races (mostly half-marathons) and see if I can improve my time.  My original plan?

5/3: OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon

(This one is all about having fun.  My goal is to simply finish.  This first race really just helped me get back into training and trying to balance that with returning to work and the baby.)

5/24: Soldier Field 10-Miler 

(I've signed up for this race a few times, but have never been able to run!  So, again, this is for fun as well!)

6/7: 13.1 Michelob Ultra Half-Marathon

(I'm running this one only to see Rachel, who will be in town!)

8/2: ZOOMA Half-Marathon (Enter "CAMB13" for 10% off your registration!)

(I mean, I flipping love ZOOMA, and I am stoked to be an ambassador again this year!)

And then THIS happened.

9/27: Spartan Race with Kelly (I won her giveaway!)

10/12: Bank of America Chicago Marathon (Entered the lottery on a whim and was selected!)

So, yeah.  I am still not sure how I feel about these new developments.  I mean, I am SUPER excited for Spartan, because I think it requires a new level of training that is incredibly strength-focused, which is what I need.  But the marathon?  Yikes.  My concerns?

* Will I have time to train?  Sure, I am off for the summer, but with a baby, and with my busiest time at school falling in August/September, I am concerned about the commitment.

* Can I actually run 26.2?  Well, I know that I can run 16 miles (and this is when I was a total newbie), so yes, I think I can.  BUT, I've also had my fair share of injuries in the past.  So, I guess the better question is:  Can I get to the start of 26.2 miles injury-free? (See, this is where I might be delusional.  I think that the Spartan training will help with this!)
 
But, at the same time, I have ALWAYS wanted to run a full marathon.  Even when I am running 3 miles on the treadmill, I dream about crossing that finish line.  And Chicago is my hometown.  It's flat, and it's the perfect first experience. 

Sigh.  AM I CRAZY?  If you were in my shoes (HA.  Get it?), what would you do?!?!?


***I cannot make this race, but the Move for the Kids 5K is taking place on May 18th.  It  benefits Lurie Children's Hospital, which is an amazing cause in my book.  Anyway, if you're interested in running, you can enter the code "M4TK!blog!" at check-out for $10 off your registration!  But hurry!  This deal expires on May 4th!
Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm doing SF 10 again this year too! I'm hoping it'll be a breeze after already having done a half a few weeks earlier :)

    Eek, I didn't realize Spartan and the Marathon were so close together! I would think training for one would be good training for the other (like, strength stuff for Spartan is the kind of thing all runners should be doing anyway; logging lots of miles for the marathon will make the running part of Spartan a lot easier). And you could probably work with a coach on a plan that would help you train for both and hopefully work with your schedule once school starts again. So yeah, I'd probably go for both if I were you (I mean, let's pretend that I didn't pass up a chance at running the marathon myself this year).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you can!! Just build up slowy, of course you know that, and when you hurt or tired, rest! Being injury free is the most important! WHen I did NY i took weeks of fhere andt here because things didn't feel right. During the actual race my IT Band was screaming at me so I said screw my goal, if I want to run after this I better play it safe :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are correct: Getting to the starting line in one piece after marathon training is a bigger hurdle than running 26.2 miles. If you complete your training injury-free you will cross the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely not crazy - you can definitely run a marathon! Find a training plan that works for your schedule and don't stress if you miss a run here and there. Life happens, especially with a baby in the mix, don't stress too much about it. As long as you train for it (and take care of yourself to help prevent injuries!), then by the time you get to the starting line, the hard work is done. Race day is the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually did a Spartan a week before my fall marathon and wished I had not signed up. It had a lot of tricky footing that made me worry I would trip and hurt myself (and I was also dealing with an odd pain in my quad). However, mine was indoor and I have no idea how it compares to the outdoor ones!

    You can totally do a marathon, if you can fit the training in! Do you think you can get those long runs and midweek middle distance runs in with school go on at the same time? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm injury prone so doing a spartan would never cross my mind. I'd be concerned of hurting myself before my goal race.

    I think you'd enjoy the marathon as long as you can stick with your training. I ran one without training a while ago and it was a miserable experience. If you can get to the start of Chicago injury free you'll have a blast! It's one heck of a fabulous race! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think all of your halves will have you more than ready for the marathon. And marathon training will help you kick some Zooma behind in August. I do worry about you hurting yourself at Spartan so be very careful doing that. Or maybe skip...

    ReplyDelete
  8. delusional maybe, but amazing? of course! this sounds intense so be careful with your training and I'm really excited for you to do your first marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah. Holy cow. But think of how amazing you're going to feel when you can say you've done all this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know SO many ppl that got into chicago! Sounds like a fun one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can do it! I'm so excited for everyone that won the lottery for this one - it will be a great race.

    Good luck & keep on rocking it mama!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can totally do this. It will be hard, for sure, but you're a total badass momma runner!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you can totally do all of them! You are super strong and determined. You can do it if you set your mind to it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A Spartan race sounds like twisted ankles and pulled muscles to me. This is the reason I don't usually run trail races while marathon training. Falling and getting hurt happens to me more than I'm willing to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. AHHHHH! So excited for you. And (as with so many other things) I'm going to use you as my muse. Most of my marathon fears are the same as yours. As I'll be turning 30 next year, it seems like if I'm going to do it…it'll be then. I can't wait to follow your journey and hopes it helps me make my own marathon decision :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so excited for you!!! The Chicago Marathon!!! Yay!! You can definitely do it, I know you can!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...