1.31.2013

The One Where I Get Sick. And Whine.

On Wednesday afternoon, I was in the midst of teaching my sociology class when my eyes started twitching.  The twitching eventually stopped, but then I felt cold.  And started to shake.  Then came the aches.  I knew it.

I was getting sick.

I've been teaching for eleven years (OMG.  Seriously???) and as most teachers can attest, it usually takes a few years to build up your immunity to sick kiddos and constant germs.  After you've done that (and administered final exams with a 103 degree fever), you're usually good to go.  Sure, there's the occasional cold here and there, but for the most part, I've been pretty healthy for the past 8-9 years.

This year, however, has been different.  Despite daily vitamins, an excellent sleep schedule, and a pretty healthy diet, I've found myself sick three times in the past month or so.  First, it was the 24-hour stomach flu.  Then, it was the nastiest cold of my life in Hawaii.  Now, it's this odd feverish feeling/sore throat, which resulted in me actually leaving school early.

(Update:  It was definitely a fever.  It broke mid-day.)

By the way, I totally thought I'd make it through the day when I heard THIS 90's gem on the radio.  I guess I underestimated the healing powers of Jeremy Jordan.



Instead, I arrived at work, feeling a lot like Mama Elsa...

 photo tumblr_meo883zJ1Q1ql5yr7o1_400_zps3cd7c6d1.gif 

Luckily, my husband has the patience of a SAINT, because when I'm sick, I want to be coddled like a child.  I am a terrible patient.  "Miiiiiiikey!  Can you bring me a blanket???"Despite my childish behavior, my husband has the perfect medicine:

* Blankets on the couch, complete with total control over the remote.  Today, it included "Pretty Little Liars", "Something Borrowed" (even though I've seen it twenty times), and of course, "Kourtney and Kim Take Miami".  By the way, I am totally Team Scott.


Source: imdb.com via Madeleine Maury on Pinterest


* Chamomile tea (along with water, OJ, and assorted fluids)


Source: ok-woman.com via Olga on Pinterest


* Bubble baths


Source: flickr.com via Corri on Pinterest



(I would like a similar tub in my home, thank you very much.)

I typically don't take much in the way of medicine and try to naturally alleviate the symptoms.  I have to say that this usually helps...along with the Kardashians, of course.


Are you a good patient?  What do you need when you're sick?




Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. Ugh, welcome to my life for the past week in a half. I totes caught up on PLL, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been pretty sickly myself this week also. Not bad enough to stay home but I've blown my nose and coughed through many a therapy session this week! I've been a therapist for 3 years and luckily my immune system is good enough now that I was able to make it through flu season without getting that HORRIBLE flu everyone else got. *knocks on wood*

    I'm not much of a baby - my husband gets annoyed because I'm the opposite! I still feel like I should be taking on the world and not slowing down. It's probably a problem :)

    Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww . . . I hate being sick, and I really hope you feel better ASAP! I am a HUGE baby when I'm sick (or injured, like now) and I want to be taken care of constantly. Matt's working late tonight and I am totally pouting about it. I want to be catered to and snuggled and all that.

    Here's hoping your illness is a short-lived one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor thing, I hope you're feeling better! Everyone has been getting sick and it's not been good. Relax... get rest... watch some trash tv... and get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, sorry you're sick! Hope you feel better soon, my dear! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, happy to hear the fever broke! I turn in to a whiny baby when I am sick and want to be taken care of. Same things - especially the bubble bath! Man. How I love bubble baths. It's odd, really...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teaching while feverish is NO FUN! I've certainly taught class all day feeling horrible! Sometimes it's easier to teach sick than to prepare for a sub. When I'm sick I usually just want to lounge on the couch or sleep. Glad you are feeling better. I'd LOVE that tub (and deck) too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! Hope you feel better girl!!! Well wishes coming your way!

    I love Pretty Little Liars!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love PLL too! It's the best. Feel better!!!

    I've been a baby all week with migraines and my hubby has been a champ. Today I found out I have a protruding disc in my back, soooo I guess my baby tantrums were warranted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love PLL too! It's the best. Feel better!!!

    I've been a baby all week with migraines and my hubby has been a champ. Today I found out I have a protruding disc in my back, soooo I guess my baby tantrums were warranted!

    ReplyDelete
  11. For some weird reason I try to stay away from medicine too. I'm not a bad patient but my husband? total baby!

    hope you feel better girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love The Right Kind of Love, I guess it's because it reminds me of BH 90210 and oh how I miss that show. The song just makes me feel good. Who knew a one hit wonder could have such an effect.

    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey meghan!! wish you better, get well soon! i worked in schools and got sick quite easily, then i discovered vitamin tablets! but sometimes you cant avoid bugs! i am a bad patient lol i moan a lot when i am sick. get well xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. So how do you avoid getting your husband sick when he's taking care of you? I'm always scared to interact with anyone because while I want someone to take care of me, I'm horrified of making them sick too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Feel better soon!! Thank goodness we teachers build up immunity. Middle schoolers especially have a special way about them that seems to be especially germ-y.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you're feeling much better by now! It sounds like you have a great nurse!

    BTW, I LOVE PLL. I'm a little behind on it though. Like, by an entire season. Whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am AWFUL when I'm sick, I'm a total impatient brat and my temper is ridiculous. Thanks goodness that Izzy is so kind with me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you're all better now! I'm a pretty sad patient myself. My mother has little patience for it, but my husband accommodates my every whiny request. :) Sounds like your husband is the perfect care-taker. Bubble baths and chamomile tea are my choice remedies as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm behind on PLL. I still watch even though I mostly love to hate it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...