6.14.2012

Summer Self-Improvement

Hello, lovelies!  I hope your day is off to an amazing start!  I realized it has been awhile since I've updated you on recent life happenings, so, here goes!


My summer break has been really fantastic.  After a whirlwind trip to New York, I am back and have an entire two months ahead of me.  I've decided that this will be the summer of self-improvement.  My goals?


* Fitness:  I am finally back to running!  Sure, it's slow, and sure, I don't always feel 100% amazing, but I am so happy to be back pounding the pavement.  I am currently training for the Rock & Roll Chicago Half-Marathon in late July.  All I want to do is finish, at this point.  I know my sub-2:00 will come soon enough, but I think it's more important for me to return slowly.





In addition to running, I am trying to incorporate more strength training.  A friend of mine recently told me about BodyRockTV, and I am currently tackling their 30-day challenge.  So far, so good!





(Amen.  I love my food.  And her abs.)


* Home:  I am a legitimate wife now!  Ha!  With my time off, I've been, dare I say, it, I'm EXCITED to scour Pinterest and try new recipes.  I've discovered that the crockpot is my best friend, and I've rekindled my interest in baking.  A few recipes I've tried?


Honey Lime Grilled Chicken


Slow Cooker Mango Chicken


Slow Cooker Hawaiian Meatballs


Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes


IMG_1360


(My cupcake courier is reason enough to bake!)


* Personal Appearance:  Let's be real.  I love clothes, but could care less about labels.  And I wear make-up, but could care less about where it comes from.  I'm 32 years old, and I'd rather spend / save my money elsewhere.  I DO think I usually look pretty presentable (and sometimes a little funky), but it's time to step it up.  Thanks to my husband's connections, I will be meeting with a make-up artists AND a stylist (who will assess my closet) to see if I can take my looks up a notch.

Source: media-cache8.pinterest.com via Un on Pinterest

               (This is not my closet, obvi.  But maybe someday?)

* Read:  I've always been an avid reader, but when you work 12 hours a day, reading for pleasure can take a backseat.    However, I am back on the bandwagon!  A few titles I've enjoyed so far?  Zeitoun by Dave Eggers & Insurgent by Veronica Roth .  Currently, I am reading Wonderful Town: New York Stories From the New Yorker.  My goal is to keep reading as much as humanly possible while I have the time.


What are your goals for the summer?



Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. Great goals! I especially like the housewife one. I need to do better at cooking for my family too. I'm going to try those cupcakes, they sound delish!

    Make sure you blog what the makeup artist tells you, please! I'm always looking for tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI The woman in that picture is most likely starving and wants a pizza. Also? I need to atop daydreaming about what I'd be doing during the summer if I was a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to try those recipes, they sounds yummy and relatively simple - both things that I go for when I'm cooking, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excited to see how you do with all these goals. Never heard of BodyRock TV so I got to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're a pretty spectacular person to start with, so any "self improvements" are just a bonus. :) I can't tell you how impressed I am with your cupcakes! The tops look so pretty--you obviously have one of those . . . umm . . . it's canvas and cone-shaped and it puts icing onto cupcakes, but I can't remember what it's called. haha. Also, good work in the kitchen! I got so busy during the school year that I was hardly cooking anymore; I'm looking forward to getting back into it, especially now with summer produce!

    How impressive re: the styling stuff!! Goodness girl, you're gonna be big time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! Last summer I was super healthy and satisfied (miracle) with my weight. I hope to continue making good choices! I also want to have FUN. I don't want to be lame and stay in all summer. I want to read that book about NYC! You could add your Ankush story ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great goals! The crock pot is def my friend! I want to eat healthier this summer - which is a constant goal, and get back into doing yoga. And I plan to take advantage of the pool at my complex more than I did last summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm insanely jealous and wonder why I never became a teacher just for the vacation time! Spring Break, Summers off and Christmas vacation - must be nice!! :) And I love all your summer goals! I'm so excited for you that you are back to running! I know how hard it must have been for a passionate runner like you to not be able to go out and pound the pavement. One of my New Years resolutions was to learn how to cook so I could make a meal for my husband...we're half way through the year and I have yet to get into the kitchen and just do it!! haha Thanks for reminding me - that can definitely be my summer goal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cupcakes look amazing!!

    Your summer goals sound great. I'm soooo happy you are running again. You WILL get your sub 2 half marathon. I know it! :) I'm also doing RnR in July. I'm hoping for a beautiful cool July day...

    My goals for the summer are to stick with my marathon training and NOT get injured. Also, I am dedicated to more strength training, eating better, and cooking more so that I can drop a few lbs before September for the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want a cupcake caddy SO bad! I make them all the time for work, but transporting them there is the worst experience. I am aiming for a sub-2:00 half this summer/fall too. I really want to focus on strength training, which has always been a weak area for me (get it? Weak area?!?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've so far lost 15 pounds! Aiming for 10 more :) I wanna read, and watch movies, a whole lot more than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky you on meeting with a stylist and makeup artist. Sounds fun. I'm loving being able to read more too! I finished Room last week and started Unbroken this week. I bet you'd like Unbroken being a history teacher like me. It's really good so far, and the beginning is all about the running career of the guy that the whole book is about. it's a true story, and he ran in the Berlin Olympics. Pretty cool I think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That closet is amazing and I would love to have it. However, I should just work on organizing what I already have. (Maybe that should be my big summer project.) That girl's abs are insane. I want to try and get mine to look like that. I have had 2 babies but I want to see how toned I can get. Fitness has been big on my list the past few weeks. Good luck with your marathon!

    Amy

    fashionandbeautyfinds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like some great goals!

    We definitely have to try to meet up at Rock 'n' Roll Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Makeup artist and stylist?! Dang woman, I could use both! My summer goals include more cooking, more pleasure reading, and more creative ways to save money (we're knees deep in the home buying process!). I love yours! I'm happy you are back running :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great summer plans girl. And yes, I wish someone would assess my closet too. Plus, I'd need a room anyways to fit all my stuff in...I have too much, and still not enough especially when living in two different countries and visiting a third every now and then. Different countries = different cultures and therefore different wardrobes/fashionable style. :(

    Have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...