All adventurous women do.
Do what, you might ask? Great question. In Hannah's case, she had just found out that, not only does she have HPV, but her ex-boyfriend from college is gay. However, Hannah continues to live her life. She continues to make mistakes and pursue her dream of writing.
And then she has a dance party to THIS song, which in my mind, made the episode pretty damn perfect.
And then she has a dance party to THIS song, which in my mind, made the episode pretty damn perfect.
So, why blog about this? Because ever since watching the episode, the tweet has really resonated with me. Now granted, my "adventure" doesn't include living in NYC (though I wish it did) and sleeping with a guy who doesn't necessarily call me back, but I think this quote is applicable for any woman looking to LIVE her life. I want to be that adventurous woman. I want to "DO" - not sit on my ass and dream about it. At my age, I get SO much pressure to buy a house (in the suburbs) and have a kid. And as you know, I do want all of that someday - maybe soon. But I still can't shake the feeling that I'm meant to do more. I'm meant to see more. So until I feel like the time is right, I am going to DO. I'm going back to NYC. Mike and I are going to destination weddings in Key Largo and MAUI! WOO! I am going to Vegas with my family.

(This is me, "doing", in Rome. Thanks, Laura.)
I suppose I interpret being adventurous with traveling. And since that's the case, I'd love to give a shout out to some other adventurous women (that I know in "real life"):
* Jill, who moved to Paris and has seen the world in the process! I also have to mention her dear sister, Jen, who also travels the globe.
* Tracy, who always seems to be traveling, and has spent lots of time volunteering in Africa.
* Christy, who will be visiting Greece and Thailand this fall.
* Danielle, who will travel through Europe with her husband.
* I also have several colleagues who are traveling through Europe as I type this! (Hi Kristin! Hi Beth!)
I am sure there are several more people I could mention, but these are the ones who come to mind immediately.
How are YOU adventurous??? How do you "DO"?

This is such a great quote! I feel a lot like you - but I'm livin in the city & enjoying EVERY day :) Trips with hubs, impromptu girls nights, random sporting events where we buy a cheap ticket and have date night...whatever it is, I am doing it! Thanks for the little reminder to just enjoy & "do"!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I'm all about doing things - trying new things and putting myself out there this year. I've made 2012 my year and so far it had not disappointed! :)
ReplyDeleteThat quote really resonated with me too. I can't say my 'adventurous' is traveling, but I am definitely doing things this year I've put off for quite sometime, and it feels great!
ReplyDeleteIm so glad to see you I could murder you!!!
ReplyDeleteYou know I love this show to death. I tweeeted the "All adventurous women do" and downloaded that song after I saw that episode haha
Damn, I don't have HBO but I really want to watch this! I must go find it online!
ReplyDeleteI LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this post, Meghan. Just awesome. I feel like neither Greg or I are letting our "should haves" or pressure from friends, family, or Facebook (hahah!) stop us from doing what we want to do right at this moment. Happy and proud of you :-)
ReplyDeleteGosh. I just LOVE this show too. Although they're not my age, it resonates so loudly! Kind of reminds me of My So Called Life back in the day-- honest, non-glamorous struggles.
LOVE this post, Meghan! Like LOVE! I'm big into the "do" thing too, although I'm not always good at it. Doing, to me, means activities, adventures, and but also, sometimes, not always planning and being spontaneous :) You know? I think I'm going to write this quote down somewhere to remind myself to do more often!
ReplyDeleteGirls is definitely my new favorite show! an i love the All 'Adventurous Women Do' line too. i guess i try to be andventurous by traveling too, but not just traveling but daring to travel alone and meet new people. last year i traveled to London by myself and went to Iceland to visit an old friend and met a lot of cool people there.
ReplyDeletexx Stu
I've never seen the show because I don't have the channel :( BUT I can def agree with the whole idea. A few months ago a friend and I went on a vacation together. We're both single (well at the time) and in our late 20s. For some reason people automatically assumed we were a couple! Just because we were traveling together and should be at home with the children we don't have.
ReplyDeleteIt's crazy what is expected of women. Good for you for living YOUR life!!
I don't get HBO, but I love this idea!! I feel you on the whole pressure thing. I'm not married, so I get it from that angle. I'm one of 3 of us from my graduating class who is not married or has a child. Most have more than one. A lot of times people act like there is something wrong with me. Although I do want to end up married some day and have a bunch of kids and buy a house back home, I'm really loving my life now. I've traveled all over the US, been to Mexico, Costa Rica and three countries in Europe. I can hop on a plane for any wedding, football game, surprise party, or fun event that I want. And I'm enjoying every minute of this chapter!
ReplyDelete~Tiffany
http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com
Ugh! I don't do anything! I'm sitting here reading your blog eating chocolate chips!
ReplyDeleteSo... she's adventurous because she had unprotected sex and contracted an STD that could and does lead to cancer? Please correct me if I misread that because I don't watch the show, so I hope that "profound" tweet isn't suppose to excuse her careless sexual behavior or in any way glorify it.
ReplyDeleteI've never seen this show, but I love that quote! It's really motivating to go out and accomplish all the things you want out of life!
ReplyDeleteI was a little unsure about Girls at first, it's different, but once I got a few episodes in I have to say I really like it.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely a great quote too. I try to remind myself that life is an adventure no matter what happens, good or bad. Making the decision to "do" can be scary at times, but it usually ends up being worth it. :)
I hear you about the pressure to have babies and the full-scale life in the suburbs. But nevertheless I signed a mortgage here in the city last year and am in absolutely no hurry to have kids (despite some people - okay, mostly my mom - reminding me that I'm not getting any younger at 31). If you feel like you have more to do before you settle down, by all means DO IT! Great quote, and a very thought-provoking post.
ReplyDeleteI dig this post. The times in my life when I've been able to work up the nerve or chutzpah to "do" things rather than just imagine doing them have created the best experiences in my life, hands down. And Europe was phenomenal, btw (love the picture of you in Rome)!
ReplyDeleteHow have I not even heard of this show? I need to get on it!
ReplyDeleteHouses and kids can wait. City living is for when you're young and have the energy to take it ALL in. So take it all in, GIRL! And BTW... GIRLS is totally my new favorite show ever. So, so, so in love with all of them!
ReplyDelete