5.28.2012

Older and Wiser.

Y'all, I am 32 today.  Yes.  Thirty-flipping-two years old.  To be perfectly honest, I am A-OK with it, as my 30's have been pretty fantastic so far, and I know that more excitement awaits in the near future.  Today, however, I want to talk about birthdays in general.


You see, birthdays have really never been a big deal for me.  Sure, as a kid, my mom always made our favorite meal (spaghetti and meatballs for me!), and my siblings and I usually had birthday parties (I feel like there was a lot of miniature golf in my childhood), but to me, it was really just another day.  I'm not a big "present" person - I prefer experiences over material things.  But what I love to utilize birthdays for is yet another excuse to do something fun with friends.  Really, though - who needs an excuse to have a good time???


For my 26th birthday (I think), Mike and I held a bad t-shirt party:

DSC00762

(Ugh.  Look at that hair.  Oh, and my apologies for my husband's vulgar shirt.  He thinks it's really funny.)

For my 28th birthday (not sure what happened to the 27th!), I celebrated with my friend Jen, whose birthday is the day after mine.

IMG_0344

And yes, we bought our own cupcakes to bring to our party.

IMG_0343

For my 29th birthday, we had dinner at an Argentinian steak house, which also happens to be BYOB - my favorite kind of place!

IMG_1771

(Pardon the black and white - my face was extra shiny that night!)

IMG_1774
(Nothing says "Happy Birthday" like red wine.  At one point in the evening, I counted - we had 15 bottles of wine for 12 people.  Needless to say, we went dancing afterwards.)

For my 30th birthday, my husband threw me a surprise party - and can you believe I HAVE NO PICTURES OF THIS?!?!?!?  It was seriously SUCH an amazing night.

And for my 31st, I thought it would be fun to hit up Lincoln Karaoke - a Korean karaoke bar with private rooms.

IMG_0766

(We sang from 10:00 p.m. - 2:00 a.m.  And drank lots of champagne.  And stole microphones from other party rooms.  And had the best time EVER.)

And what, pray tell, will I be doing for my 32nd?  A group of us will be heading to Wrigley Field to watch the Cubs take on...someone.  Not sure who.  I just want beer and sunshine, please.  And if all goes well, there WILL be dancing.   Just you wait.

How do you celebrate birthdays?

Photobucket

29 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! I'm a huge birthday person but I prefer to make a big deal out of others bdays! We will celebrate chuck bass style this weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    It sounds like a great birthday to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy, happy birthday love!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy happy birthday! You have some fun ways of celebrating birthdays! I'm a fan of the experiences too :) Hubs surprised me last year and this year with surprise parties involving family one night & friends the next. So fun! We went paintballing for his birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday!!! Sending you a birthday hug and a plea to post dancing pictures tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I hope you have an amazing day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, I love your husbands vulgar T-shirt, he must have a great sense of humour:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday! Also, your hubby's shirt is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! You really know how to celebrate birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love my birthday... and for me it's more of a birth month, lol. Last year's birthday was SO fun, hanging out in Milwaukee and going to 6 Flags and doing shots of good tequila (not at the same time, lol).

    This year I really want to go to the Renaissance Festival but I fear something totally embarrassing happening. Those Renaissance actors really like to pick on people!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday! It sounds like you have a great celebration planned - enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. happy birthday! hope you've had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Friend!!! I'm jealous of all your awesome birthdays! I'm hoping the Hubs plans a great one for my 30th in August! Can't wait to hear how the big day went!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday gorgeous!!! You don't like your 26th birthday hair? I think it's adorable!!

    Sounds like your birthdays are always fun and full of character :) My personal favorites so far have been 22 (roller skating at an old school rink) and 24 (disco dancing at a gay nightclub and drinking sickening amounts of tequila). 32 will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday!!!! I hope you had an amazing time! I personally love the chuck t shirt hahaha, amazing :)

    I always use my birthday as an excuse to go to my current favourite restaurant and eat whatever I want, this year I'm leaning towards a new mexican restaurant we've just found, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday! Sounds like you had a fabulous time celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happpppiest of birthdays to you! We'll have to have a drink in your honor on Thursday :) Can't wait to see you soooo soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You really know how to live it up on your birthday! :) I love the pics, so fun! I hope you had a fun time at the game yesterday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy happy birthday, Meghan! I hope you had such a fantastic day at the game yesterday!! For someone who isn't too big into birthdays, it sounds like you always know how to celebrate them well and have a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  21. happy belated birthday (again!). Don't worry...I'll be there in a few days too, so you won't feel alone being 32! ;)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday beautiful girl!!!!! :) A baseball game for your birthday is the most AMAZING gift ever!!!!!! :) I would love that every year for my birthday! ;) haha Loved looking at all the ways you've celebrated your special day. I love celebrating my birthday! And since Micaela and I are twins it always seems double the fun :) We don't just celebrate a day, it's more like a birthday week! haha

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy 32nd chica!! i LOVE the bad tshirt party -too funny! Looks like you've had lots of fun birhday! Mine is saturday and I'm having a pool party....and praying it doesnt rain :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. you say you're not big on birthdays but i'm having trouble believing you after reading this post.

    sounds like you've had some good ones...which means you better do it up for number 32! woohoo!!!

    (can you tell i'm big on birthdays?)

    ReplyDelete
  25. aww sorry im late, but happy birthday!!! i hope you had a great one!

    im not huge on having to have major plans for my birthday either, as long as its acknowledged and we do SOMETHING, im happy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday! I'm actually zoning in on my 33rd! Eek!! But I'm not a huge birthday person either- just really like to do something low key with my husband and that's about it. I hate having attention on me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...