When I think back to where I was ten years ago, it still boggles my mind that we ever lived in a "Pre-9/11 Era" - a time where there was no such thing as the "War on Terror", you could fly with liquids and pretty much anything else, and we had never heard of Ground Zero. Yet, so much has changed since 9-11-01, and I'd like to think that despite everything else going on today, we're a stronger nation because of it.
Ten years ago today, I was getting ready for my morning class during my senior year of college when my roommate woke me up to share the news. We sat in front of the TV in pure shock and awe - in total silence - before I left for class. I drove to class in my 1991 Mercury Cougar (hot stuff, I tell you) in a complete daze as I was fixated on the radio. I arrived to find my class canceled, and instead, several students piled into a huge lecture hall to continue to watch the news. I remember thinking I should attend my afternoon class, because ironically enough, it was my Modern Middle Eastern history class. In fact, almost everybody showed up and we spent the 90 minutes sharing our feelings about this devastating event. I remember feeling so grateful for my professor and his willingness to provide us with what we needed that day - a safe place to share our feelings and answer our questions.
And now it's my turn. As a teacher, I'm the one answering the questions and explaining to students that, while they may have been too young to remember, there was a time and place where everyone felt safe. It's up to me to share the magnitude of this event with them, and help them understand that we need to be good to one another while we're here on this earth.
It's been an emotional week, as I've listened to survivors speak, and experts explain just how our nation has changed. In fact, I'm even a little teary-eyed as I type this post. One thing I will leave you with is this video. We often hear about those whose lives were lost, and those who risked their own lives to help others. Yet, this video helps us to honor those who have simply shown up to work in places like Ground Zero, every single day for the past ten years, to help rebuild what we've lost. If you have time, please check it out. And maybe hug someone. Or say a prayer, if that's your thing. Peace...

(weheartit)
Keeping everyone of them in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very well written post, Meghan. It's so interesting to me to hear about where people were at when they heard the news of 9/11- it's become such a huge life moment for arguably all Americans.
ReplyDeleteI always think about how different life was before September 11th. Even though that life was only my first 11.5 years, I still remember flying with such ease and comfort, and getting to the airport maybe 45 minutes or so early.
Very thoughtful post, Meghan!
I remember I was sleeping in because my first class wasn't til 11, when Dad called me and told me to turn on the tv. We turned it on and sat down just before the second plane hit. Hard to believe it's been ten years since that day. It was gorgeous out - Indian summer, perfectly blue sky. I remember the weather and standing around outside, smoking and wondering why.
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful and moving post. It's hard to believe this happened 10 years ago. I feel very emotional just thinking about it all. I remember the day my brother left the first time for Iraq (he's been deployed three times since the war broke out) and today I am thankful that he is home, but I remember the men and women serving in the military who are defending our freedom.
ReplyDeleteWhat a difficult job you have of explaining to your students what this day means and why we must always strive for peace. I am so proud of you! Thank you for this touching post xo
It's quite surreal that we used to fly with liquids etc. 9/11/01 is definitely a day we will all remember!
ReplyDeleteVery emotional post, but really, it's hard not to be emotional about it. I was already in my mid-20s. On may way into work. I'll always remember who I was walking into the office with that day and the news that awaited us when we got through the door. Thank you for teaching about it!
ReplyDeleteThank you for a beautiful and emotional post. And THANK YOU for teaching the children that were too young to know of the horrors we all felt that day.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe it's been ten years. It feels like yesterday.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your story and continuing to share with your students.
I definitely agree with you, it seems like this happened yesterday, but at the same time it seems like there was never a moment before 9/11. I'm glad you are educating the children that are too young.
ReplyDeleteI'll never forget when I found out. Couldn't believe. Felt so empty. Still do.
ReplyDeleteBut yep, let's hug and care and make our best to share the love we have in us.
You are so sweet Meghan. And I am sure 'the teacher' to have... par excellence!
I remember my last class of the day that day, theater, and how we actually went about class like nothing had happened. It made me SO angry. The last thing I wanted to do was improv when all I could think of was NYC.
ReplyDeleteI think it's good as a teacher to be open and talk about that day. I think by educating people we can help prevent what happened that day, you know?
Well said. It's funny to think that because we were college-aged when this happened, it feels so vivid still to us but the younger generations were too young or not even born when this happened.
ReplyDeleteIt's crazy how we all remember exactly where we are when 9/11 happened. It was my freshman year of college and I was getting ready for classes. That day was also the day that I got accepted into a sorority. So it was a bittersweet day for sure. Horrible and good at the same time. I literally get cold chills every time I think about THE 9/11.
ReplyDeleteI remember in great detail too
ReplyDeleteIt is so important for you to explain the magnitude. Our kids don't know the difference and I worry that this will make them not want to fight for something different because this is all they know. Great post and I hope my kids have teachers like you.
ReplyDeleteIt definitely doesn't feel like it's been 10 years. I can remember what it use to be like before 9/11. It's crazy to look back and think at how we lived before.
ReplyDelete