Yes, ladies and gents, I completed my third half-marathon this weekend and I have to say that I am really proud of myself for the past few months of training and working harder than I ever have before for a race. Going into this weekend, I knew it would go well and I didn't feel quite as nervous as I have in the past. I suppose that's what happens when you prepare, right?
My siblings and I started running the One America 500 Festival Mini Marathon in Indianapolis last year, and it's an awesome event! I guess it's considered to be a kick-off event to the Indy 500, although truth be told, I cannot STAND anything race car related. (And apparently the Indy 500 is NOT Nascar? There's a difference? Whatevs.) Anyway, it's the largest half-marathon in the nation (appx. 45,000 people signed up!), and since Indy is a mere three hours from Chicago, and my husband has lots of friends there, we decided to make a weekend out of it!
As many of you know, I don't like to take too many pictures of myself, as I am horribly UN-photogenic (if that's even a word), but I did try and document some parts of the weekend. I'll spare you the details of my pre-race meal and checking into the most amazeballs hotel suite ever. Instead, I'll jump right to the race morning.
Last year, the weather sucked. It was cold (appx. 40 degrees or so) and WINDY. We're talking 20-25 mph winds. This year, they called for RAIN. Luckily, it held off until the very end, so the weather, while overcast, was 55 degrees and NO WIND. Perfect running weather, in my opinion.
Before the race actually started, there were tons of beach balls flying in the air, as well as a mini-fireworks show.

(Not sure how well you can see the beach balls in this pic, but they are there!)

(My future sister-in-law Karen. my brother Kevin, myself and my brother Mike before the race. I look awful. And don't worry. The "runner's belt" went to the back and under my shirt. But honestly, I think my brother Mike looks like the hot mess in this one!)
The race started without a hitch. Until five minutes in. A girl right in front of me came to a DEAD STOP. I slammed into her so hard that I KNOCKED HER SHOE ENTIRELY OFF OF HER FOOT! I was mortified. After dropping several f-bombs and apologies (I may have caused a small scene), I was so embarrassed that I just took off. However, in my defense, I'd like to say that she shouldn't have been walking in the middle of the pack five minutes into the race. And perhaps tied her shoes a little tighter???
To be honest, the course itself is pretty boring, minus miles 6-8. You actually run a lap on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Again, while I'm not really into racing cars and what not, it was a pretty cool experience. Everyone is pretty fired up by that point, yelling and shouting and hi-fiving one another. It definitely helps pass the time:)
Overall, I felt pretty great throughout the entire race. No cramps, pain, etc. Once I hit mile 12, I did my best to book it as fast as I could to the finish!
Final Time: 2:03:54 / Average Pace: 9:28
I am really pleased with my time. Last year, my time was 2:11:11, with an average pace of 10:01. My goal this year was to simply beat that time, so I am pretty happy with the way everything turned out!

(My brother Mike crossing the finish. My husband captured such an awesome moment!)

(Me, about to cross the finish. I am hiding behind this dude in the front of the pic. I also look like I want to punch someone in the face.)
Kudos to my brother Mike who finished with a time of 2:03:29 and my brother Kevin and his beautiful fiancee Karen, who finished with a time of 2:14:08. Everyone did so well, and I am glad we were able to experience this together.
Afterwards, we met up with some friends and celebrated with drinks, lunch, and of course, cupcakes.

(Cutest sign ever.)
On our way back home, we stopped to see this lovely lady and wish her a Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day, Mom! If I am half the mother you are one day, I think I'll be alright:)
Happy Mother's Day to all of you mamas out there! Hope you enjoyed the weekend!
So So So proud of you friend! I love that pic of you about to cross. BTW you and your siblings look identical too funny!
ReplyDeleteSo exciting; congrats to you and your bros! That's seriously impressive. And what a pretty picture of you and your mama--I love your bright flowers :)
ReplyDeleteYou're awesome Meghan! So proud of you!!! Love the pics :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats! That's such an accomplishment!! You should be so proud of yourself :)
ReplyDeleteI envy people like you who can run. It intimidates me so much!
Beautiful pic of you and your mom!
You are so inspiring for running a marathon on a day that most people just want to sleep in. How did I know that you would find a cupcake store?! :)
ReplyDeleteYou are so beautiful in your wedding dress!
Yay, I am from Indianapolis! And yes, the Indy 500 is from the Indy racing series, but the Brickyard is Nascar. Sorry...we are a racing town! The Mini Marathon is a huge staple in Indy. We would even get off of school to be in it. Congrats on your completion. What a hugs accomplishment!
ReplyDeleteWell done, and celebrating with cupcakes, just how it should be:)
ReplyDeleteohh just another comment, I just checked out the "minute to win it" and it's awesome, for sure some games we can use, I had never heard of it before. Thank you so much, I super excited about it, and can't wait to show my husband when he gets home:)
ReplyDeleteAwesome job! You should be very proud!!
ReplyDeleteGood job!!
ReplyDeleteLet me know if you ever want to go for a run in the city. I think I may partake in Fleet Feet's breakfast club. I have to get ready for this 10 miler and not kick my own butt in the process!
That girl should have been mortified, what was she doing!? You and your siblings should be so proud of yourselves!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on kicking butt & beating your old time. How neat that you got to complete this with your family -- that's pretty special!
ReplyDeleteyou are amazing! Well done on beating your time!
ReplyDeleteJUST AWESOME. Congrats!! No but srrsly, it was that girls own fault that you slammed into her!! What smart person would just stop in THE MIDDLE of the group? Wowza. Great post! Congrats :-D
ReplyDeleteYou guys are so admirable. Good on you, that's a great achievement!
ReplyDeleteAnd I love this pic of you and your mum!
You are kicking butt and taking names with all these races!!
ReplyDeleteWay to go! So impressed with you!
ReplyDeleteHowever, I would like to know what you ate for dinner... those are the things I need to learn :)
Congrats on completing the mini marathon and I’m glad the weather cooperated. After the little incident, I’m going to start calling you the roadrunner ;) Seriously though, what was that chick doing? I’m glad you were okay and able to keep on going. I’m not a racing fan either, but running the track at Speedway sounds pretty darn cool.
ReplyDeleteYour husband captured some awesome pics of you and your brother crossing the finish line. That will be a great keepsake for both of you.
Your mom is so pretty and you two look so much alike! I love that photo.
Congrats & awesome time! I love, love, love the pic of you running! You look very strong and determined :) I think its very flaterring. All my running pix I look like I'm sucking wind big time! WAY To GO!!
ReplyDeleteIncredibly proud of you girl!! Wohooooo! Love the pictures, so beautifully taken and yes, maybe you may look like you're about to punch someone in the face but it's just oh so fantastic that you did this.
ReplyDeleteHave a great day Meghan.
xoxo
You are amazing lady! You deserve an entire batch of cupcakes!
ReplyDelete