3.08.2011

My Sacrifice.

Disclaimer #1:  The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own, and are not meant in any way, shape or form to offend anyone who reads it.  I realize that religious beliefs, to some, are sacred and vary greatly.   This is just my humorous attempt to make sense of things.


Disclaimer #2:  I am not in any way, shape or form, channeling the band "Creed" with this post title.  Although I was unfortunately a fan in 2001. 


I grew up in the Catholic Church.  I've mastered the art of sitting still for one hour each week during mass.  I was an altar server.  I once taught religious education to a bunch of unruly darling seventh-graders.  Yet I disagree with several church policies and beliefs.  Personally, I find this to be healthy.  To question is to want to learn more - to better understand.  While I will stay away from the "tough stuff",  I will say that one thing I never quite understood is the concept of giving up something for Lent.  I've tried, albeit half-heartedly, in the past, and ultimately failed.  I mean, I get WHY people do it, but I've always been of the school of thought that being a good person is more important than giving up chocolate for forty days.   Yet, this weekend, I had an epiphany.  Why NOT actually make a huge sacrifice?  Perhaps in the past, I've never REALLY given up something that important to me.  Isn't it about time???  


Behold, ladies and gentlemen, the "sacrificial lamb"...



Starbucks1


Starbucks2
(weheartit)

That's right.  For 40 days, I will refrain from my morning "non-fat caramel macchiato".  While my head my pound a bit more without my daily dose of goodness, my bank account will certainly love it.

Now, you might be asking youselves, "Didn't Meghan already give up Starbucks?"  The correct response would be YES.  I did.  And failed.  Miserably.  Therefore, these next few weeks will be a true test to my strength. 

Do you give up anything for Lent?

Photobucket

32 comments:

  1. I don't... I blame it on 8 years of Catholic school when I was as pious and devout as you could get. I understand why other people do it, I just don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do lent either. But I did a fast last month so I think I'm done sacrificing for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not religious although I do considering myself "spiritual." I have my beliefs but none of them fall in line with any particular religion so I believe what I believe and figure God is cool with that.

    Thus, I am not giving up anything for Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I give up something every year, and I also fast from meat on Fridays. . . this year I am giving up all sweets. It's going to be tough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I abstain from meat on Fridays, as well as do a lot of volunteer work. Last year I promised to go to church every sunday and holy day (stations of the cross). I would rather do more, than give up sometime. (sounds awful). Although I should give up starbucks. My barista knows me too well. Its scary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually try and give up something, but it's not just a food item. My nun friend said it's not necessarily always about food, that Lent is a time to reconnect with God, etc., so I always think about how I can better myself spiritually during Lent. So, I always give something up but I also try and change something about myself for the better. For example, this year I'm going to "give up" spreading negative thoughts about people (i.e. gossiping, complaining about coworkers, etc.), I'm going to try and say one nice, unexpected thing to someone every day, and I haven't figured out what food item I'm going to give up - I try to make it something that doesn't turn into a "diet" and something that doesn't cause problems for other people (i.e make it difficult for people to have me over for dinner). So we'll see. Good luck with the coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck, girl! You'll save a little $$ too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck! I feel the same way about Lent! For the last 2 years, I've gone to Mass every day during Lent instead of giving something up. It hasn't been easy. I wish I could find the time to do that this year but I don't think I can. =/

    ReplyDelete
  9. A little part of me just died! But honestly it would be better than giving up wine haha. A guy in one of my grad school classes said he gave up sobriety for lent...i almost died!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Church also says you can do good deeds instead of giving something up!

    I'm giving up: sodas, sweets, and being a Debbie Downer about infertility!


    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We've never done Lent, but good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! That picture made me want to cry! I couldn't give up Starbucks for that long...I'm going to try chocolate. I guess the premise is that when you let go of worldly addictions, you lean on God more. Cripes, I will be leaning on him a LOT on day 3...

    ReplyDelete
  13. i KNOW how much you love your starbucks so i'm rooting for you! especially for the reason.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, when the hubs was laid off I gave up the 'bucks. It was not easy...but I don't go as often now that he's back to work. I guess abstaining helped my addiction a bit. HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  15. Be strong...I'm not sure that I could do it!!!
    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, so happy you did because your blog is too CUTE! Sorry it's taken me a bit to say hello. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't always give something up for Lent but I'm currently on a no-sugar kick that my goal is to keep going with until Easter...and then pig out on Cadbury Cream Eggs! I prefer to pick something to be better at during Lent than to give something up. Good luck without your Starbucks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think I'm giving anything up this year, although I have in the past--last year I gave up alcohol for Lent!!! Yikes. And when I was in college, I became vegan for Lent all four years. This year I probably won't, just cause I haven't thought about it too much, and there isn't anything sticking out that I need to give up . . . although I'll think about it tonight. :)

    When I've given something up for Lent, admittedly, it's only been a little bit religious. For me, it's been more about sacrifice, and the idea of letting go of "attachments," particularly to unhealthy things.

    The question is--are you allowed to have coffee?? If so, I think you'll be ok without starbucks. :) I'd go insane without any coffee, though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't always give things up for a lent; a lot of times I do things instead. Help people, volunteer, do something to better myself. This year however I'm going to try to give up fast food. Might sound little but it's more of... I indulge too much when I really shouldn't that that time and money I spend indulging cant certainly go towards more worthy things, ideas, and people.

    I'm not sure how well this is gonna go for me... I LOVE MY FAST FOOD! (so bad for me, I know I know). Good luck w/ Starbucks... try brewing their coffee at home ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm super impressed that you're giving up Starbucks. I've never given anything up for lent. I was raised Presbyterian and it was never really pushed.
    Good luck giving up Starbucks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do the tall skinny caramel macchiato! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm impressed by your ambition with this! I'm not religious at all and just realized I am attempting to eliminate pop from my diet as of the moment. So far, it has required massive amounts of liquids as replacement. On my desk at once is a jug of water, glass of Odwalla wellness smoothie and Dr. Hansen's all natural sugar free tangerine lime soda from Trader Joe's. All three at once- my coca-cola free diet is going to be a long haul. Eventually the itch will go away, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are a better woman than me. I couldn't do it! I don't give anything up, and i don't think it could be my lattes. I get the worst cravings...luckily I've learned to make them at home so it's not so financially strapping...good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. lol. i totally thought about creed when i saw the title of this post! i dont do lent, but i gave up soda 3 weeks ago! its been tough!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I admit that I've also struggled with the notion on giving something up an have decided to do something that I wouldn't ordinarily do. You've got me thinking about what I'll do differently this lent.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ohmygosh, you're so strong....

    I gave up Dunkin' Donuts a couple years ago.. moved on to Starbucks to fill the void... kind of a fail.

    I gave up Dunkin' Donuts AND Starbucks last year.. started getting my coffee from a bagel shop.

    I'm kind of a Lent cheater. So I'm going with donuts this year, since my inner piglet and I eat 2 for breakfast almost daily (blush)... We'll see how that goes.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do it every year. This year is soda. I've given it up before and it was hard. Last year I gave up alcohol...and Lent happened to fall on St. Patty's Day (of course) and two trips to Vegas :O

    My hope is this year I'll actually give up sode for good...like for ever. Good luck :)

    P.S. I agree with you not agreeing with everything that we do/learn in church haha. My biggest thing is prob the money. Ours asks for two collections each week, sometimes three. And you have to pay for classes. It can get expensive :S

    ReplyDelete
  27. you are strong!!

    I don't do lent but I think its good every now and then to give up something you love, whether its for yourself or the higher beings.

    sending you lots of energy on your coffee free mornings x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I feel very much the same way you do about religion and Catholocism. And I've never been successful at giving up something for Lent either. But I decided to do something this year too...it's more of a proactive something rather than giving something up. Good luck with the coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm not Catholic but my in-laws are...still, it's not a good enough reason to give up anything I love...call me selfish, I won't mind :)

    Good luck, though!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good luck Meghan - I know this is something big to you!

    I'm not religious, so don't take part in lent, but it seems like a good test of spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good for you! I have never given up things for Lent specifically. I've given up things just because I've felt that I've been to addicted to it (ie. coffee for TWO WHOLE YEARS!!!).

    ReplyDelete
  32. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :) I grew up Catholic, and although I was contemplating on giving up something for 40 days (incl. Starbucks or wine or so) I failed already...yesterday and today. I won't try again. I may start from April 2 on, and then see how long I can last. :D hahahaha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...